Affiliate Site for a Child
    superCool is giving his 12 year old daughter a website for her birthday and he's not sure how to handle the accounting. It would be nice to create separate network accounts for her, but some of the networks require the account owner to be at least 18 years old. Any advice on how to handle this? She's a smart girl but we'd like to keep the link building as simple as possible.

Also not sure about the tax situation if we are on the same account - superCool would probably pay her for her commissions and then expense it on his taxes?

What do you think? Any advice?

thanks,
    superCool

2. Thanks From:

Start 'em young! What a superCool birthday present! I don't think she can legally enter contractual agreements though and you may need to let her start out with subid's. (IANAL!!!) Merchants might go berserk at the idea.

The only advice SuperCool is to make sure your 12 year old does not do anything that may get one of the networks upset (I have a 12 year old as well)
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

thanks for the advice

She will do great at this. She is very mature and has written articles for superCool's sites (and made sales). She will have a small niche blog about a fun topic and write articles / posts about products she likes. superCool will be supervising and might need to set up the links for her.

the first sale from one of her articles was big, but wait until she gets a sale on her own site. she will be very excited and the writing will increase

hopefully the site will be kicking by the time she is in high school.....spending money!

ISellStuff thinks this is a great idea and he wants to do it with his daughter when she is a little older.

KSE, IsellStuff never thought about what kinds of trouble a young girl could stir up for his affiliate IDs. Definitely running under a separate account when he does this. Maybe an account attached to ISellStuff's wife instead of ISellStuff's business.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    KSE, IsellStuff never thought about what kinds of trouble a young girl could stir up for his affiliate IDs. Definitely running under a separate account when he does this. Maybe an account attached to ISellStuff's wife instead of ISellStuff's business.
    Thats a great option!!
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

That is a wonderful thing to do for your daughter. There are many advantages to that kind of experience in addition to any future earning potential. Just the business involvement and additional writing experience will help her in her high school years.

I agree, though, that you should have some way to keep her "business" separate from yours (at least in the eyes of the networks). Possibly an LLC where you "hire" her to help you run it. I recall reading examples a while back about tax advantages of having some form of "earned income" in a minor's name - at least up to a point where there is a tax liability (which is a good bit higher than the base reporting level.

It might be worthwhile to have a consultation with a local (in your jurisdiction) tax attorney or CPA.

Please be advised that IANAL nor a tax advisor. But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express once...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager OutdoorPlayToys's Avatar
    That is awesome!!!!

My daughter is 8 and has had her own site for about a year now. I have her website branded under my LLC - so all of her affiliate programs are shared under my accounts - including adsense.

I just keep a separate category in our financial reporting for her site. So when she earns income from affiliate programs or adsense we just create a separate line item...I just did not see a need to create separate accounting or accounts....

My daughter is the boss - she tells me what she wants to advertise on her site and she writes all her own posts....it is awesome how much smarter our kids are than us!

Super cool I would love to link up to your daughters site from my daughters if you are interested...cannot wait to see what her niche is!

That does sound like a good way to begin. The KISS method usually works best. If (nay, I say WHEN) things begin to grow into the realm of taxable income - then might be the time to talk with a "pro."

With the caveat that...what I recall - may have had an influence on overall family reportable income. So, when the numbers begin to add up - it might be worthwhile to do some investigating.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post

She will do great at this. She is very mature and has written articles for superCool's sites (and made sales). She will have a small niche blog about a fun topic and write articles / posts about products she likes. superCool will be supervising and might need to set up the links for her.
    SO cool!

I, too, think you might have to stick with your own aff accounts at first. Add an ID after all links on her site to identify them and pay her what she earns.

This is a great way to get her started thinking for herself and creating a living at a young age. Perfect parental education with rewards. Doesn't get much better. Rexanne thinks Supercool is a super cool dad
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Another way to set it up would be to create a trust/corporation and put everything in the name of the corporation. More expenses that way, but she's got to learn about expenses too.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

What a cool idea. Er, no, make that a SUPERCool idea. (grin)

Oddly enough, I was listening to a podcast last night by a very successful blogger/content publisher who has a 12-year-old daughter he's set up a site for. She's writing ALL the content for it based on his suggestions -- and he says she's doing quite well and already starting to see some income.

Man, I wish my kids had been 12-13-14 when I found out about all this. (Internet wasn't yet around when they were that age -- or at least not in a form that was useable for business.)

Kudos to you guys who are doing this for your kids and families. Sounds very much worth the effort.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice. superCool think he's on the right track and will learn more as he goes. This will be fun. Just hoping superCool doesn't have to push her to post and update the site. We'll see.

cheerio all

I heard that a boy aged 15 planned to store the money in the account until his 18, and he actually have made more than $10,000, smart than me... >_<
    Last edited by StoneWilson; May 20th, 2011 at 03:18 AM.

Update: The site's been up for about 1 month now and she just made her first sale. $3.50 commission. She's been doing great with the writing, but so far superCool has been adding the pages to her Wordpress site for her. Will teach her to do that soon. Hope $3.50 is enough to keep her going

Looks like she's on the road to riches now

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post

Looks like she's on the road to riches now
    Sounds like a plan to me

Congratulations
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Well, in a few years she will be able to push your goat hair mascara brushes with orange handles, so whatever it takes to bridge her over to that time!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    $3.50 in one month is better than 1000 newbies have done here. Keep her encouraged and keep publishing. I would cover the taxes until she makes $1000 then let her know you will have to add taxes to it. If you can segregate the accounts you may be able to file it under her social security number. Check with a CPA to make sure.

I would also ask a network if you can create an account under her email and social security with a shared email address. When I allowed my 14 year old to have a Facebook account it was setup by me with an extra email address.

Congrats Super Cool Junior
    This is a great bunch of parents here. I also made $3.50 in my first ... eh .. year :
    Seriously congratulations and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorPlayToys View Post
    I just did not see a need to create separate accounting or accounts....
    That's also my thinking. I build a blog for my little girl months ago, she is too little to write now, so her mother and I writing her diary for her, and if she is interested in IM and want to run the blog by herself someday, I will share my network accounts with her. I don't see any problem.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread