I sell my own products on my site, I run adsense ads and I have affiliate programs.

My stats tell me that each page view of an own product page gives me 23 cents. An affiliate click gives me around 3 cents (after filtering out bots). Adsense is better than either per click, but doesn't beat my own products pages per view. (That means I get more from an adsense click than a click into my own product page).

I've figured that the only value of having an aff program is in building extra pages automatically from the data feed that become potential entry pages to the site. Then hope that people click on adsense.

Any opinions/comparisons on that?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    A niche' merchant retailer client averages 2500.00/day in sales this year. Gross Profit after freight averages 1200.00/day. Site averages 400 visitors/day, from all traffic sources, with 4 pageviews per visitor, and 48 sales/day. Average order size $52.40 on products priced from $20-50. Free freight on orders over 75.00, plus some higher priced items in niche' mix upped the average order size this year.

400 visitors divided into 1200.00 profit = 3.00 per click. This merchant rightfully links to no outside sites other then his own branded site domains for specific lines. Cross linked for Google PR passing. No Adwords or affiliate related merchant product linking is allowed on his pages.

His Adwords campaign converts at an average of 1/15 clicks costing him an average of 3.40/sale. Overture campaign costs him 5.10/sale. His Amazon shopping portal deal costs him $3.25/sale. The few affiliates he has average a 1/16 conversion ratio costing him 4.80/sale based upon their average order being 48.00 x 10% commission. His worse affiliate makes $0.24/click....all honest ABWers.

His best profit per click comes from a mix of natural serp listings, bookmarks, repeat shoppers/paper catalog direct type ins. There is no advantage for him/me to pressure the 12 existing affiliates or look for more. That group doesn't account for 50 clicks per day. Selling into his existing satisfied customer base yields the best conversion ratio of the bunch giving his overall site conversion ratio a huge boost.

So Sloth is correct that finding a niche' high conversion product line, and pushing it through a sites shopping cart, is the most profitable. All other site income, from sending traffic away from the site, can only be considered if the site gets excessive traffic, not geared for the specific niche' product, due to SEO/SEM spammy practices. Those duped into a click need a potentially profitable exit from some crap affiliate page.

The quandry for any converting merchant is his sites natural conversion ratio goes to crap if he opens up the site to the affiliate tricksters. The real value add affiliates don't get excited if the niche' is so unique there are few competitors, no profit lowering incentives to push, and the SERPs can't be easily manipulated to outplace the real merchant. Damn they either have to create a dedicated site or a high conversion showcase section requiring static HTML. Adwords on those dedicated pages are a real loser compared to just passing off the targeted traffic to the merchant.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    "Adwords on those dedicated pages are a real loser compared to just passing off the targeted traffic to the merchant."

Mike if you try Adsense ads on your site this may be prove not to be the case.

But then again, maybe not. Google may not yet have the technology to determine the most relevant ads to serve on a page that contains kayaks, computers, watches, and bras all in one stream of consciousness.

ABW Ambassador
    >relevant ads to serve on a page that contains kayaks, computers, watches, and bras all in one stream of consciousness.

I'm told that Adsense will target ads to those pages as
    Asbestos - Mesothelioma and other class action type KWs.

Mike could have a plan - or maybe not.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I have Adsense on some of my pages and within a minute they are populated with the pages themed products. What an idiotic comment. What Adsense Ad block would appear on Overstocks -Walmarts or Macy's front page. I run a cybermall with a variety of product categories and only a few deserving merchants ever make my front page. One soon to go from that prime real estate is TigerDirect. I'll test one newbee merchant there or throw up someone seasonal.

The above info was not about my site. It is one of my clients sites where Adwords could be displayed for his pages text keywords. He'd just be stupid to pass off his had earned valuable traffic bringing him 3.00 per visitor to some 10 cent wank competitor.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks for replies - will digest.

Agree that adsense targets ads very well indeed, and amazingly quickly.

Hi,
    I agree that a mix of produce, adsence, and affiliate is best. It's because you have a mix of revenue sources that adress different markets. Feel free to visit Sports Business Simulations at www.sbs-world.com

Zennie

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread