Exclamation Missouri Affiliate Nexus Tax Bill
    Missouri has submitted HB 970, a NY-style affiliate nexus tax bill. If you are a Missouri affiliate marketer or a retailer with affiliates in that state, this legislation will impact you.

Find out more information on the Missouri Affiliate Nexus Tax Bill and how you can help.

Thank you for your support!

I'm about a month away from STARTING to build my internet marketing empire (or at least a decent living ...) due to having the TIME and MONEY to do it full time. I live in Kansas City, MO, currently rooming with a friend.

Should I start looking for a place in across the state line in Kansas? Just please be brutally honest with me, because until I read this I've been VERY excited about the future.

If you are that "flexible" keep in mind that there are five states with no sales tax at all. And in the others there are some legislatures that have not yet considered this "illegal" way of filling their coffers. Even in the states that do enact such a "controversial" law there are still hundreds (if not thousands) of merchants who are small enough to not be effected by the $10,000 (or so) threshold - [or large enough that they are willing to take a chance and fight - if necessary].

My advice [for whatever it's worth] is to diversify as much as possible. I (personally) earn a good income, as an affiliate, from the travel sector, which has always dealt with taxes; and they are not shutting the doors on anyone. As a merchant, we are still "small enough" that we won't reach nexus in these (backward thinking) states for another year or two. A good portion (the majority) of our income is derived from direct sales - and our "home" state is Delaware, with zero sales taxes. Our manufacturing plant is in Illinois and we have always collected taxes to orders shipped there.

It is still possible to earn a good living without Amazon, Overstock and/or the couple hundred other merchants who are "pulling the plug." Keep working to fight such legislation within your state, but don't quit because of it passing - or not. Be informed, be alert, be diversified, and work smart.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    As I grew up in KC and know the area I would keep the Kansas option in mind. Follow the bill and lend your voice as Bill said. By all means let them know that you will move out of state if it passes so they get nothing from you.

I heard about this in committee back in April but never heard anything else, so I am assuming (and hoping) that it never got passed.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Any update on this?

It appears that it never got legs but they will be back in session later this year so no telling what they will do.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread