On all of my sites, the link to the merchants site opens a new window.

While at my mothers yesterday, i was on her computer and noticed her pop-up blocker would not allow a new window to open even on a click.

She is not computer savvy at all... in fact i set her computer up for her, a few times. Apparently she has downloaded another program or something and it changed her settings.

My question is, Has anyone tested conversions on if it's best to open a new window to a merchant or keep the merchant in the parent frame?
    dave

Were you using javascript or target="_blank"?

I haven't seen a problem with target="_blank" since I've been using it.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nature Boy:
    Were you using javascript or target="_blank"?

I haven't seen a problem with target="_blank" since I've been using it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i always use target="_blank".
    dave

_blank works great for me too.

I always use _blank.

Sometimes the popup blocker can activate in error, especially if the machine is running slowly. I've seen this happen on old machines that are struggling.

I think it's kind of hard to do a test, because conversions are so variable anyway. But I'm convinced that I want to bring the surfer back to my site if they don't like the particular merchants they've visited.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

some of my sites are content based with a choice of retailers to get a service or product. Those sites i would want them to have easy access to my site even after visiting the merchant site.

However, i do have a couple shopping sites that focus on one merchants product line. These merchants have good conversions so i just changed one of them to not open a new window.

The site i changed this on, the merchant has a 5% conversion ratio, as of now. So i guess i will see in the next few day's if it makes a difference.

I was just curious if anyone had tested any thing like this.
    dave

My pop up stopper blocks _blank from opening unless you hold down ctrl as you click.

I have wondered about this issue myself. Blocking target="_blank" may be good for some users but it would suck for website owners.

ABW Ambassador
    There was a long thread about this awhile back after some noticed what kapsat is posting about. People who have tried both ways, opening links in a new window and not opening in a new window, said they saw no difference in conversion. So conversion ratios being the same and the fact that some blockers do block target="_blank", i don't do it.

I've experimented with the "open new window or not" theory over the past couple of years. To date, I haven't found any evidence that it matters one way or the other. I've not noticed a change in conversions - regardless of how the link to the merchant is coded.

Andy

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread