Okay to use GAN and CJ on same site?
    My fiance and I are developing a business/website which will focus on early educational ideas and products for parents and childcare providers. We'll be primarily selling our own products (children's books and lesson plans) but a large function of our site will include a running forum geared towards parents and childcare providers. So, we'd like to use B&N's Affiliate Network for recommending/selling children's music (which is through GAN) and also have a space on our site for Groupon's geo specific daily deals (which is through CJ). Is this standard practice? Or do merchants prefer you stick with one affiliate program?

Thanks!!

Most web publishers (affiliates) carry advertising from multiple advertisers (merchants), and different advertisers choose to work through different affiliate networks.

It's completely normal and typical to include links through several different affiliate networks on a site (but for each merchant, you should link only through ONE affiliate network).

My newest site includes performance-based advertising links to Amazon and two other advertisers who have "in-house" affiliate programs, plus links to three advertisers through ShareASale, plus links to one advertiser through CJ, plus links to one advertiser through ClickBank. (For this site, more than 50% of revenue comes through ShareASale, and 26% comes from Amazon.)
    Last edited by markwelch; April 8th, 2011 at 04:20 PM.

You might do well to check around for "competing" products also that cover areas that your own products do not. There are children's music lessons, children's sign language programs and others that could appeal to your traffic.

Great, thanks for the quick reply!

Another question, B&N commission is a percentage of net sales, is this normal? If so, how would I determine what the net sale would be of a CD listed as $12.99, for example.

We live and operate our business in Colorado, so Amazon is out of the question. Is Barnes and Noble our best bet as an affiliate for children's cds and books?

Thanks again!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Net sales means less taxes and shipping. Check all top networks for children's CDs and books. Check by keyword and category as it depends on the affiliate manage how it is categorized. You can generally compare EPC to get an idea of how well the program converts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hetherington Hall View Post
    We live and operate our business in Colorado, so Amazon is out of the question. Is Barnes and Noble our best bet as an affiliate for children's cds and books?
    I generally prefer not to link to "brick and mortar" retailers, because I'm concerned that customers may end up buying in the store instead of online, reducing the opportunity for me to get paid for the advertising (though a few brick-and-mortar advertisers do pay publishers for transactions that are "picked up at store"). Instead, I try to look for other advertisers who carry the same products.

Of course, you might choose to include links for the product for multiple merchants. I've often included links to multiple merchants for products -- for example, including links to Amazon (which pays me only 6-7%) and also links for another less-familiar advertiser selling the same product (sometimes paying a higher %, but with a lower conversion rate).

Another option is to "rotate" or "alternate" links to different advertisers -- showing links for merchant A and merchant B, each to 50% of visitors. Then you'd look at the revenue data in a few weeks or months, to decide which to continue.

I've disliked B&N for many years, but this past winter, I briefly experimented with including links to several GAN and CJ advertisers, including B&N (for niche products which aren't often found in their stores), but I saw zero conversions and ended up dropping those links, in favor of links for the same products at other advertisers which reported non-zero conversion rates. (I now include only one CJ advertiser, and no GAN advertisers, on my sites.)
    Last edited by markwelch; April 9th, 2011 at 02:05 AM.

All interesting things to consider. It looks like I have some research to do on my end before I decide which merchants/programs to pursue. Just when I think I have it all figured out I get exposed to new ideas which can change everything

The majority of our cash flow will be coming from the sale of our own products, but I still believe by supplementing with affiliate marketing (as a publisher) we can maximize the earnings potential of our site. So thanks to everyone for your replies and advice!!!

I'm sure I'll be back often with more questions as we work on launching the site

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread