Where to get images of the products
    I have a simple question: where can I get the images of products I want to promote at my affiliate website? Could I use images from the merchant's site I am linking to? What about images I find at different websites / by googling?

My concern is a copyright issue. Is there any source / database of images without a copyright protection? Is this an issue at all? Can I get myself in trouble because of this? I am about to build my first affiliate website and I would like to do everything legally and ethically correctly.

When you join a merchant's affiliate program, the network supplies you with several ways to get links. One way is via datafeed that contains a link with an image and a description and the current price (among other information) for each product that merchant offers.

If you ask about a specific network you can get more specific instructions from users of that network. Many merchants prohibit the use of images that are not supplied to affiliates, such as those you might find on their site. Sometimes this is because of restrictions placed on images by the merchant's suppliers so you don't want to just take images without permission.

2busy, thank you for your quick answer.

What about the situation when I am not a member of any affiliate network (yet), and want to build a site say about coffee makers (hypothetical scenario). I want to create a website with a relevant content before I apply for a membership in an affiliate network (remember my first post at this forum? Is there any publicly available database of no-copyrighted images of, in this case, coffee makers, coffee beans, cups of coffees etc. ?

At this point, the website is not commercial, this may make a difference? Once it is turned into an affiliate website with links to merchants, images may be replaced to those from datafeeds.

Commercial or NOT if you don't have permission to use someones images you should not use them. There are some sources of free images that are not copyrighted, or some that have a "Creative Commons" attribute. Many on the images on Wikipedia are in that category.

There are also millions of images available on a plethora of stock images sites. Most are sold with royalty-free rights so you can use them on a website and (usually) a reasonable cost. If you want to use them for other reasons you may have to buy an "extended" license. But, from your description, the basic rights will likely suffice.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Google "Creative Commons images" and you will find sites offering images that you can use if you attribute them to their source, usually with a link. Many affiliates sign up for a paid service that offers images for a small fee. Another way is to buy a software package of stock images that your purchase license allows you to use. Most of them are under $20 but be aware that most of those images are pretty poor quality and outdated. Their selection of cars images for example may be from the '60s or '80s, computer pictures might show an 8" monitor. Photo sites like Flickr are a good place to find images with various licensing structures. Bill is right about using images without permission, merchants usually have wording in their TOS about that.

Thank you both, I believe this information will be useful for other starting affiliates as well.

Have a nice day!

I'm a big fan of Fotolia, they have an extensive selection, and most web-size images cost $1.. you buy credits, then download what you need (I have no association with them, I just find they have the best variety for the price!).

Royalty Free Stock Photos at Fotolia.com

I had purchased a Wordpress template, and needed to properly license some images... you don't ever want to get on the wrong side of the big agencies out there (Getty, etc), they are known to file takedown notices with hosts, as well as request damages for unlicensed photos.
    Last edited by teezone; April 9th, 2011 at 03:42 PM.

superCool suggests that you invest $10 or so and buy some images to get started. then you can fill in with merchant images and finish it up.

good luck!

When I need generic images (for blogging purposes), I use the Microsoft Office Clip Art and Media page which provides photos and other images in hundreds of categories that may be worthwhile.

The pictures have worked well for me as a visual next to my content, and the photos are royalty free.

I'm happy to post the link if needed, but the name I typed above can be found through a search engine search.

Shirley

You can get free images from stock.xchng - the leading free stock photography site. You can also use the images on istockphoto. They only cost US$ 1-3.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

RCS,

If at all in doubt about an image you want to use you will often see a link attached to an image, contact the publisher or site owner and request permission to use the image. Keep this confirmation in a safe place just in case.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread