What Merchant Terms convince You Not To join/Promote A Program?
    I've been re-reading hundreds of merchant terms lately in a push to revamp program promotions.

Some terms are annoying or seem to be so restrictive that I give up on the program. Some are so vague that almost any type of promotion using the merchant name is a violation.

I try to contact a merchant for clarification about terms that seem confusing or when I want them to grant me a type of use that may be restricted.

Terms that prohibit the use of their brand/company name in any copy (Including onsite). ensures that I ill not join their program or promote their program anymore.

Lately I've been looking theough merchant terms that don't restrict the use of a merchant's brand in the lower level of my URL.
    For example MyCompany.com/merchantname.php.

I've been pretty successful with most merchants allowing this type of use as long as it's not use in Paid Search.

So what types of terms annoy you or confuse you.

I would like to know. Maybe if merchants see a lot of us of who would like certain types of terms to be clarified or modified, maybe they would be inclined to do so.

PLEASE NOTE: This post is not intended to bash merchants and I would ask that specific merchant names not be used here. I would like this post to focus on the terms themselves and not the merchant.

Of course merchants are encouraged to join the conversation and provide their perspective.

A TOS that prohibits "Coupon Sites" with no clear definition of what they consider to be a Coupon site. 1 coupon? 1 dozen coupons? Coupons only?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Unclear PPC restrictions...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ANY terms that put a qualification on payments. That may seem broad, but once a merchant starts looking for ways to NOT pay commissions, it's inevitable that they'll find them. Overly complex terms serve only to add confusion and restrict commissions.

The merchants that I want to work with understand the value of a fair program and go out of their way to insure that their affiliates make money because if I make money, they make money. They keep their terms simple and straight forward.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

5. Thanks From:

great thread
    Fantastic thread!!

Its a great reminder to all affs to regularly review the terms and conditions which they are boind by and this is also important for new affs to know that they should be patient and read all the terms before signing up to merchants.

I know I will be suggesting to make our terms slighlty clearer and will be coming back here for some more tips...

Thanks to all the affs who participate

I just came across an annoying TOS. It was this long document in SAS and it was all the same font with no editing. It was very difficult to make out the different sections. Everyhting seemed to blur together and I gave up.

It's unfortunate: If the merchant had taken a few minutes to provide a readable TOS, I probably would be pomoting them.

In SAS, the TOS converts a formatted document to plain text and makes it hard to read. If they would instruct merchants as to how to prepare a document to be readable we would not see those scrambled messes. That really is not the merchant's fault.

I'll bet the merchant would be willing to give you a readable copy but the catch is you need to sign up to contact the merchant unless they list contact or AM info right there.

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    In SAS, the TOS converts a formatted document to plain text and makes it hard to read. If they would instruct merchants as to how to prepare a document to be readable we would not see those scrambled messes. That really is not the merchant's fault.

I'll bet the merchant would be willing to give you a readable copy but the catch is you need to sign up to contact the merchant unless they list contact or AM info right there.
    Thanks for the info!

The information I gave you was not correct as to the cause of the unreadable TOS, but here is one merchant explaining the problem of garbled TOS: ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum - View Single Post - How do you understand this TOS Rule?

Affiliate Manager
    No Restrictions on TOS are seen by affiliates as good or not professional?
    Hi. We are a new merchant at SAS and I’m trying to get familiarized with how all this affiliate world works. I’ve been finding a lot of useful information on this forum, and I will like to ask for you guys (affiliates) opinion on this TOS topic.

At magnetiKmania we have a very loose TOS, we have no conditions, we pay the same amount (24%) on all sales, no minium, no maximun, no geographic restrictions… we are happy to see affiliates use the name of our brand, our graphics… I mean, the better they can promote our product the better for both of us, right?

So my question is. Affiliates tend to see this “No restrictions” policy on a merchants TOS as good or on the other side as a sign of unprofessionalism?

Thank you all for your comments!

That depends on how the affiliate intends to promote your program. Terms are generally set up with a desired goal in mind to encourage activity "A" and discourage activity "B". No terms means all promotion methods are acceptable that are not explicitly prohibited in the Network's TOS. Affiliates who do PPC promotions, coupon promotions or social media marketing would be happier to see a program with no TOS, while content affiliates prefer some structure.

These are all legitimate marketing methods, the merchant sets terms to try to have results they prefer. No terms can mean that the merchant prefers to allow all marketing methods, or it can mean that the merchant doesn't know what they are doing and should consider consulting with an OPM.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    That depends on how the affiliate intends to promote your program. Terms are generally set up with a desired goal in mind to encourage activity "A" and discourage activity "B". No terms means all promotion methods are acceptable that are not explicitly prohibited in the Network's TOS. Affiliates who do PPC promotions, coupon promotions or social media marketing would be happier to see a program with no TOS, while content affiliates prefer some structure.

These are all legitimate marketing methods, the merchant sets terms to try to have results they prefer. No terms can mean that the merchant prefers to allow all marketing methods, or it can mean that the merchant doesn't know what they are doing and should consider consulting with an OPM.
    Thanks for your quick response 2busy!

What you say makes total sense. I went ahead and uploaded our TOS for the magnetiKmania program. I hope by doing that affiliates will perceive us more as the serious company we are, although we tried to keep a very “non-restrictive” policy in the document.
    Last edited by Bill; May 8th, 2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Unlinked...

Best not to have blank terms, but to actually state that you have no restrictions on PPC, etc. - looks like you've thought it out.

Not happy when a merchant has nothing in their terms, sign up for their program, spend time setting them up, planning how to best promote them, and then they come back with a TOS that could be it's own book.

Feels like a sucker punch to the gut when all of a sudden your marketing methods for them can no longer be used...
    Last edited by Convergence; May 8th, 2011 at 03:41 PM.

Affiliate Manager
    You are totally right, I guess I just like to think people are always nice and will do things in a reasonable way. But being realistic that’s not always true and I can totally see what you explained happening and how pissed off an affiliate can be about it…

I created a TOS for the magnetiKmania program right away. I hope this will help some more affiliates decide to join!

Thanks for you comment!
    Last edited by Bill; May 8th, 2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Unlinked...

I look at merchant terms as a guide (a rule book). A merchant can have terms that are not retrictive which is waht I prefer.

The things I look for:
    Commission rate
    Return Dyas (The longer the better)
    PPC terms (It's nice when you can direct link to the merchat from PPC ad use brand terms and name in ad title).

I hope that helps a little but it's just one affiliate' perspective and there are many of us.

You can't please everyone, so having a rulebook makes sense.

But the Coup de grâce is no matter what the TOS may state, if you contact the merchant for clarification and you do not hear back from them...

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread