might work. I'd wait for a while before trying it to see how well the humans do who are responsible for maintaining the baddies list.

When ever I see something like this first question comes to my mind, is it going to hurt affiliates in any way? I hope not. If not then I guess its a good thing.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

ABW Ambassador
    At least it is better than that stupid idea to charge a penny for sending email.

I tried the screensaver, but my PC seemed to have problems quitting from it in a time manner when I wanted to use the PC.

It's not really a denial of service attack.. it's a way of leeching the spam site's bandwidth so it ends up costing the spammers more than they make.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I hope it works. Spammers don't respect our privacy, nor do they consider what their garbage costs us to process on a daily basis, so I say go for it - I hope it puts them all out of business!

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    No one will ever come up with a more fool proof method then I did 2 years ago with the Digi Estamp concept. Everyone gets 500 free Digi-Estamp emails a month on the persoanl ISP account. Penny an e-mail for the overage charged to their monthly ISP Bill. Bulk e-mailers pay from 1/10 of a cent to 1/100th of a cent once they receive a documented Bulk eStamp ID#. (Publically viewable). Shopping cart providers are exempt so they send purchase notifications free. No Digi-eStamp = No Delivery.

You e-mailers and the wanks out their playing the free e-mailing number game can eat Charlies shorts if you can't put something of enough value in every e-mail to equal 1/100th of a cent. Now buzz off Jimbo as this one even you can't defeat. No other solution comes close in low cost implimentation and worldwide deployment. Benefit to all those with an e-mail box is the ISP can lower monthly connect fees due to decreasing their own bandwidth//server bills. No Digi-eStamp and the message gets trashed or sent to Can-Spam authorities.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The side deals by spammers whack us all 2 ways. BHO/Adware/spyware infestation fees. Identity theft from bundled virus installs to trojan horse backdoors.

Cyber conmen 'hijack desktop PCs'

Citibank is a phishing favourite
    Huge numbers of desktop PCs are passing on e-mails for conmen trying to steal confidential details, say experts.
    Analysis by mail security firm Ciphertrust reveals that the hijacked computers are unwitting accomplices for almost all so-called phishing attacks.

Its research shows that the hijacked PCs are organised into five separate networks of zombie computers that send out the fraudulent e-mails.

American PCs sent out the most messages and South Korea was in second place.

Numbers game

Ciphertrust carried out its analysis on messages that passed through its mail filtering hardware during the first two weeks of October.

PHISHING TARGETS
    Citibank - 54.16%
    Smith Barney - 13.48%
    SunTrust - 10.02%
    Paypal - 7.57%
    Wells Fargo - 5.42%
    HSBC - 5.07%
    eBay - 4.15%
    USBank - 0.11%
    CitizensBank - 0.014%
    Only 1% of the e-mails sent were so-called phishing attacks that pose as messages from financial organisations and try to con people into handing over account information, password and login details.

Ciphertrust said that analysis of the net addresses used to relay these messages show that they are passing through a relatively small number of zombie networks.

The company said perhaps as few as five zombie networks were responsible for funnelling the fraudulent messages and each network can call on a pool of about 1,000 PCs.

Almost a third of these zombies, 32%, were sited in the US. A further 16% were in South Korea and the remaining 52% were in 98 other countries.

The US and South Korea were so popular with the phishing gangs because broadband is much more widely used in those countries.

Zombie net

"Phishing attacks represent a collaboration of the world's most skilled hackers and organised crime," said Paul Judge, chief technology officer at Ciphertrust.

PHISHING SOURCES
    United States - 32.07%
    Republic of Korea - 15.39%
    France - 6.55%
    China - 6.40%
    United Kingdom - 4.06%
    Germany - 3.85%
    Spain - 3.81%
    Japan - 3.05%
    Italy - 2.48%
    "Instead of breaking into the bank to take money, phishers are tricking users into handing over their account information, or rather the electronic keys to the vault."

Many PCs in homes and businesses have been recruited into the zombie networks by falling victim to one of the many viruses currently in circulation.

Many viruses, such as Bagle, MyDoom and Sobig, have been written specifically to open up a backdoor into a PC so that it can be controlled remotely by malicious hackers, spammers or criminals.

Ciphertrust said 70% of of the home machines sending out phishing e-mail messages are also relaying spam.

Criminals and spammers are keen to use these zombie networks because the tactic helps them hide their tracks.

By far the most popular target for the phishing gangs was US financial firm Citibank. More than 54% of the phishing messages were seeking out its customers. Smith Barney was in second place with more than 13% of messages.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

hope this spam screensaver really does work. i'm just about tired of being told about 'rolex replicas' ...

The fake Rolex spam is much more difficult to hit with something like the Lycos screensaver, as it appears to be running off a vast army of zombie PCs. Even the DNS servers run off distributed zombie PCs. This means the entire network is extremely resiliant.

Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T5J:
    hope this spam screensaver really does work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha!. Don't bet on it. The site has already been hacked, and is currently unavailable due to a ddos attack.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread