Affiliate Manager Erika Crabtree's Avatar
    Clarification on Searchbox Banners
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Will concur with that. "Search box banners" have always been a very strong converter. Note to merchants: these types of links are practically guaranteed to get premium placement on affiliate's sites; right in the customer's face, as opposed to bottom corners of pages.
    This is a great tip. Can you please clarify what "search box banners" are? Visual examples and/or specs would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Hi Erika, your question was moved here to have its own discussion, it is an excellent question and shouldn't be buried in an old thread.

I agree with davidh's comment, they are strong creatives. Depending on the network you are with they may have tools to help you create this type of banner. Basically it is a html built <form> that includes a .js link. When it is on a site it looks much like the searchbox at the upper right here at ABW. SAS has several available, unfortunately they cannot be shared here.
    I suggest you look in your ABW profile for a place where you can apply to join Groups and check the box for Affiliate Managers so that you can receive PMs.
    Last edited by 2busy; April 11th, 2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added some information

Here's an example (as an image capture from a stale web site which I haven't updated for several years) showing three separate "searchbox banners" for three merchants:

In my example, entering a search phrase and clicking "find" within one of the boxes opens the merchant's site with the search results, in a new window.

I've also seen situations where the search-results are displayed locally, either via a pop-up window or inside a frame [or iframe] (so the visitor is still viewing my site, but viewing a list of products for a single merchant, using either a server-side script or a client-side script that draws the data from the merchant's server).

And of course, it's also possible to use PopShops (or other technology) to display a list of search results for multiple merchants, while still on your site.

I've also manually created pages for my sites where I display search results from two different merchants, side-by-side, for the same search phrase.

As you can see from my example, different merchants may provide different types of search boxes. For merchants offering a wide range of products, a drop-down may be used (with a default selection) for the product category (here, sheet music) or search type (here, artist vs title).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by markwelch; April 11th, 2011 at 05:50 PM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    We used search boxes for domain search for a LinkShare program and it was the highest producing banner/link. It requires a script from the merchant and an HTML image for the boxes.

This information and the examples are much appreciated. I was about to ask the same question as Erika but decided to do a search first to learn if someone else had questioned the quote from the other discussion.

I'm preparing a project bid for 15 new banners and wanted to know about the search box banner before proceeding.

With appreciation,

Shirley

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread