Hi all. I have a site that allows votes to be cast kind of like here at ABW. The problem with mine is it can't be set to allow a person to vote only once. It will allow a person to only vote once per 24 hours but unfortunately I have 2 IP's that come back daily to vote again.

I can ban the IP's but I just wanted to make sure that I get it right. An IP would only be assigned to one person true? It wouldn't be a group of people like say with a certain service like RoadRunner. Each internet service would be assigning an individual IP for that home or business. I just want to make sure I'm not banning a bunch of people and tech savvy I am not. My guess is it is the same person voting 2 times a day. Once from work and once from home. Thanks for any feedback
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

there are free ISP deals a person could use with which to get in some extra votes. that could explain the extra IP number.

Heres an example of what I am seeing Herb. I left out the last 2 numbers but they are the same IP's. I think what I am trying to get at is if the IP numbers are the same, it would be the same person true? Thanks Herb

205.188.117.xx
    205.188.117.xx

152.163.101.xx
    152.163.101.xx

ABW Ambassador
    DePackster,

i wouldn't think you would want to do it by IP address as you would automatically eliminate anyone that comes from the same IP address such as a school, business, etc.

Why not put a cooking on their machine which would include todays date. That way they can't vote twice today, but they can vote tomorrow.

Another way to do it is to pull the email address off their PC and then delete all email addresses when the next poll starts.

Bob

ABW Ambassador
    Make that cookie, not cooking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    205.188.117.xx
    205.188.117.xx

152.163.101.xx
    152.163.101.xx <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    These are AOL Ip's, so they are likely dynamic. I would go with Bob's cookie suggestion.

Tuan

Thanks Bob and Tuan I would have a much better chance doing some cooking rather than a cookie Remember, computer illiterate here.

So in other words if I get 3 votes from the IP 205.188.117.10 in 3 days, that doesn't mean that it is the same person voting 3 times? Other people could be assigned the same IP # 205.188.117.10 ?

Bob, the vote caster I use only allows 1 vote per day but the poll is only suppose to be one vote per person period. Like here at ABW. Thanks Guys

DaPackster,

You have it now. Keep in mind that alot of Aol type services and many businesses use only a few public IP addresses and give out what are known as internal IP addresses to people on their network. It has to do with the firewalls that their network has installed.

You can find quick and easy cookie scripts by going to your favorite search engine, typing in creating cookies and include the language that you are coding in. For instance if it is asp, type in "creating cookies in asp" and you will find numerous sites that have the code all ready for you to just change a few items and put on your site. Pretty easy stuff.
    Chris Mayr
    When amassed, even dust can become a mountain.

There is a finite amount of intelligence but an infinite amount of stupidity in the universe

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the vote caster I use only allows 1 vote per day but the poll is only suppose to be one vote per person period. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could still use a cookie. Just make it a 5-year (or whatever the max is) cookie instead of a 1-day cookie. If your poll's still running after 5 years, then they get another vote for bothering to check back after all that time, LOL!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread