I am planning to build a fan club website of one of the celebrities. Me myself being a fan of him, have read about him and collected quite a lot of information. So thought why not to put all the information on a website and build a fan club also selling merchandizes from his movies.

I have a question now, he already has his official website but it does not have any kind of fan club or similar on it. Do I need to get his permission to build his fan club? If I don’t get his permission can I get in to any privacy issue problems and that will ultimately result in banning of my site?

I don’t want to put so much effort and at they end get a ban.

Any thoughts? Anyone with the similar experience?
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Great question.

I am not sure how much trouble you can get have content on your site related to a specific person, but I think you can run into issues with URLs and Branding. I have heard of stars going after people for using their name, etc. Spike Lee even went after Spike TV for using the name SPIKE.

If you had site selling say Brad Pitt stuff and called it ... fansiteonline.com you probably would not hear anything, but if you used bradpittfan.com you might get a letter from his people.

Check out the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 here Not sure if this covers your issue but has some copyright stuff.

I know I have not been much help but just wanted to give my opinion. Again this is only my opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by forMYOG:
    Great question.

I am not sure how much trouble you can get have content on your site related to a specific person, but I think you can run into issues with URLs and Branding. I have heard of stars going after people for using their name, etc. Spike Lee even went after Spike TV for using the name SPIKE.

If you had site selling say Brad Pitt stuff and called it ... fansiteonline.com you probably would not hear anything, but if you used bradpittfan.com you might get a letter from his people.

Check out the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf Not sure if this covers your issue but has some copyright stuff.

Also not sure if this falls into:
    Cyber Squatting--
    When a person buys a domain that is a trademark or near trademark name of some other company. I know some people trademark or copyright everything....

I know I have not been much help but just wanted to give my opinion. Again this is only my opinion and links to try to help. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you might want to research further and see if there is an official or unofficial fan club and see what they are doing.

you may have some competition or may be able to do a better job than they do.

ABW Ambassador
    Using the name of a public figures is fair game to some degree, so long as the site is about them. Even if it is an "Anti-that-famous-person" site.

Do your research first to find out where the line is drawn though. "Joe Famousguy is sexually attracted to little boys" may be OK to say. "Joe Famousguy molested a child" will have the local constabulary at your door tomorrow morning.

What about www.unofficialcelebritynamefanclub.com
    I can't imagine the celebrity would be mad about this one since unofficial is part of the web address.

sam wilson

In other words insert the real celebrity name in the address behind unofficial.

sam wilson

Ok - I have a fan site - it does well for what you are thinking about. You are on the right track.

But - word to the wise - do NOT use their name in the URL. I saw another fan site in my catagory get taken down because of it.

What you can do is to use something they are known for.

frank sanatra - old blue eyes
    judy garland - rainbow

You get the idea. If you build a good content rich site the traffic will come - and so will the sales. Amazon is great for this kind of site, plus add some posters, etc..

Good Luck!!
    Ebudae

Thanks everyone for the response!

I think wise thing to do is not to use their name in the URL. Rather use what they are known for.

Thanks agian!
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ahmar:
    I think wise thing to do is not to use their name in the URL. Rather use what they are known for. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I hope its not a Michael Jackson fan site, you might get in trouble finding such a domain name

lol JJ, no its not MJ, he already has tons of fan sites. One I am thinking of, still to find any fan site till date. At least I never came across any.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread