Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Why am I not making money despite being on the first page of Google?
    Hi everybody and let me thank you in advance for your help.

I was told that as soon as I get on the first page of Google for a good keyword I am guaranteed to make money. Google keywords tool tells me that 110 000 people search for my keyword every month. I have been on the first page for 4 days now and not only that I have not made any money yet, but my email list has not grown AT ALL!! Not even one email!! Could this be because I am on position 9 and nobody looks that low even on the first page? Or is there any other hitch?

Lightbulb
    could it be that visitors have to sign up for email before being admitted to the rest of the page?

Indeed they have to give their emails before they are allowed to see the rest. I was told that that was the way to make money through email marketing. Is that wrong?

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by jsvihla View Post
    Indeed they have to give their emails before they are allowed to see the rest. I was told that that was the way to make money through email marketing. Is that wrong?
    don't believe those GetRichQuick ebooks. not if you want to succeed in affiliate marketing. which, by the way, is not necessarily email marketing.

if anyone signs up just to see the page, that is a very good "sucker list." (a term that dates 'way back from the direct mail days)

you are apparently involved in "internet marketing" as opposed to affiliate marketing. probably selling eBooks or MLM stuff. we here are mostly producing sites that sell real stuff that people can use. products from places like Macy's or Amazon.com.

there's a lot of good information in this forum if you want to learn. but you'll find this is the "hardest easy money you ever made."
    Last edited by Herb ԿԬ; April 16th, 2011 at 10:30 AM.

5. Thanks From:

Think about it - how many sites do you give your email address to just to look at their site? Don't you just hit the back button? Most people who land on your site will either close the browser window or hit the back button. Nobody likes a site like that. The folks who told you to do that are probably just trying to make sure that you will never be in a position to compete with them, no matter how great your site might be.

You have to sell real products and give people free access - no e-mail address or having to register to see your site - to make money in affiliate marketing.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I was told that as soon as I get on the first page of Google for a good keyword I am guaranteed to make money.
    You were told wrong.
    Sorry, but the phrase, "Someone really saw you coming." comes to mind. I don't know how much you may have paid for that advice - but it was way too much. Lose the "forced" email sign-up and give free and easy access to your site. Then "if" you have a "real" product to sell, at a competitive price, you may begin to see some results.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

9. Thanks From:

The Google keyword said 110,000 searches, well check the "phrase" box and the [Exact] box what search results do you get then, there is often a considerable difference

It really does not matter what the keyword tool tells you in regard to the question asked. Keyword tools do not shop, they cannot predict performance. You can sit in the top position at Google and not sell anything if you require people to fork over information to view the site. To grow an email list you need to provide people access to enough information to want to give you their email to get more. If they aren't pleased with the "more" watch for opt-outs from your list.

12. Thanks From:

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    There are some good advice in this thread. And I think what they are saying would be a more enjoyable user experience.

But what really matters is how much traffic are you getting?

If you are getting 5 visitors a week at spot 9 that is not enough to measure. if you got several hundred you should have seen some positive aspect or the page converts very poorly.

You should measure traffic with Google Analytics, clicky or at the very least awstats in your cpanel.

If you want to hard sell that is up to you. Lots of reputable companies and people do that at times and with different types of traffic.

ABW Ambassador
    A yew years ago Vivid was #1 for the term SEX for months on the engines and made NO $.

The term you lank for is important. Some terms convert & other don't..

I am on No. 1, page one for my search term (organic, not paid), and the way I stay in that space is to:

*Continually update my home page with an inviting welcome message and welcome video.

*Market, market, market my site's value in places (online and offline) where I know and believe my audience hangs out.

*Follow a social media plan of my own making to encourage visitors to subscribe to my newsletter.

Please don't take this as bragging. It takes a huge amount of focus, perseverance, and dedication to stay in the No. 1 spot or, at the least, convince people that what you provide is what they want/need.

Now that you know a part of my success, I'm hoping that what I've shared and what others have suggested will help you make changes that increase your value and revenue.

Shirley

16. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Yea I agree with everyone, I'm only very rarely handing out my email to see content unless I've been a long time visitor to the site, I know it has a load of content that I need and enjoy reading and I know that by signing up I will be getting value from the newsletter.

The only times I have passed out my email on a site with on page are when I am waiting on a new product launch that I want to be notified of when it goes live (but I already know the developers and their brand)

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

No matter how desperate I am, you're not getting my email addy until I can see the goods.

I hope you didn't spend to much money on that "GetRichQuick" ebook.

Google keywords tool tells me that 110 000 people search for my keyword every month.
    Having a search volume that is too high (more than 50,000 per month) means that the keyword that you are targeting is too vague or general. It is recommended to use keywords that have an average search volume of around 1500 or more. You should join forums that are related to your niche to find good keywords.

You should also give your visitors access to the content on your site. They need to see how great your site is before they sign up. You could give an ebook or a minicourse to encourage them register for your newsletter series.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Hi Michelle,

Your search figure of 1,500 if I relate that to Google Adwords Keyword Tool, would that be for a:

Broad
    [Exact]
    "Phrase"

Many thanks

I suggest that you use broad match since ordinary internet users do not put quotes on their search terms.

In addition to this, the results given by search engines do not just have the exact phrase that you typed in. This is because of latent semantic indexing (LSI). The SEs display results for the exact keywords that you typed into search and the results for related keywords.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Think about it - how many sites do you give your email address to just to look at their site? Don't you just hit the back button? Most people who land on your site will either close the browser window or hit the back button. Nobody likes a site like that. The folks who told you to do that are probably just trying to make sure that you will never be in a position to compete with them, no matter how great your site might be.
    Yes, just think more for your visitors, they won't risk to give their e_mail for unknown contents, maybe you should divide your E_books into two parts, one part for freebie and another ask for e_mail.

It's key to think about what you personally would be willing to give your email address out for. If you wouldn't give it to someone without any solid knowledge of the site contents then you can't expect your site traffic to do it either. I agree with what someone else posted, which is that I'll only give mine out if it's a site I've been following for a while.

110000 not focused

I was told that as soon as I get on the first page of Google for a good keyword I am guaranteed to make money. Google keywords tool tells me that 110 000 people search for my keyword every month. I have been on the first page for 4 days now and not only that I have not made any money yet, but my email list has not grown AT ALL!! Not even one email!! Could this be because I am on position 9 and nobody looks that low even on the first page? Or is there any other hitch?
    Hi jsvihla
    I'm intrigued - such an interesting conversation but now I want to see the site. I'm a sucker for giving my email away ... but it does make me think that the keyword you are ranking for is either not specific enough to your site, or that you have chosen a niche where people are not looking to spend money. Generally people want to see a potential value to them, before they give their email away. I would take the email away.

Affiliate Network Rep Chad-AvantLink's Avatar

Hi jsvihla. I am certainly no SEO expert but I just a thought- are you logged into a Google account when you search for that keyword? If so try logging out of your account and searching again. I've often found Google to skew search results on terms related to you if you're logged in with your Google/Gmail account. Because of this, you might not really be as high on the SERPS page as it's showing.

For example, I was thrilled the other day to find that I was the #4 spot for "Car News Website". Unfortunately, I decided to try again after logging out of my Google account, discovering I was really on page five for that term.

If you don't have a Google account, then just disregard everything above!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    What everyone else said X1000. Get rid of the email sign up and you'll probably see sales overnight with that Google position.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

As I have posted elsewhere I am at 4 on Page 1 of Google with a Ezines article and despite the term getting 3,600 searches per month I am getting hardly any views of my article. So much for page 1 listing.

I agree with all the comments about the email sign up, but I think you also have an issue with the keyword or phrase you are using. Is the keyword describe the product the people are searching for?

I have ranked in the top 10 (and usually #1) for "online shopping malls". People are not interested in buying an online shopping mall. Many of them want to visit my site to figure out how I got my ranking, get ideas for their own site, or steal my content.

I do rank well for "dwarf fruit trees for sale" and I make some good sales. The key is to target keywords that people use to find a product. Optimize a landing page for that product. Try doing Google searches for the product or service you are selling and think from a shopper's point of view.
    ~Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Think about it - how many sites do you give your email address to just to look at their site?
    I agree - unless, of course, you are giving away a freebie to the visitor - many will try and give a false email id to get to the freebie and as someone mentioned earlier - you have a new entry in the 'Sucker List' :P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast