The New Digital American Family
    Picked up a Nielsen report at AdTech, some pretty interesting insights:

- Whereas prior generations turned to Mom for advice on child-rearing, Post-Digital Moms turn to a host of Mommy bloggers and other online Moms for trusted advice, a shoulder to lean on and someone to connect with during wee hour feeding times.

While that seems obvious, it is so interesting to me that when my parents raised me, they didn't really have 24/7 access to a support line. I wonder if having access to all that information makes first-time parents more confident? Or perhaps more tribal?

The other note is that since childbearing age tends older, "marketers must learn to address the needs of older, savvier parents who exhibit more knowledge about shopping and who have access to a wider array of research, price comparison and transaction tools"

The report also says that Asian-Americans exhibit a huge appetite for online media, logging 80 hours on the internet and viewing 3,600 web pages, 3.5 times more than any other ethnic group. "Although Asian-Americans watch less TV than other ethnic segments, they stream double the amount of online video as the overall average."

That's my mom, through and through. It's not uncommon to hear her say, "That stupid YouTube wasted my whole day!"

Full report available free with Nielsen registration (which I think has always been a worthwhile registration):
    Nielsen | The New Digital American Family
    best,
    Carolyn Tang Kmet
    AllInclusiveMarketing.com
    carolyn-at-allinclusivemarketing.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Makes me wonder if we are taking huge steps forward or several back. I asked my daughter to email me a while back and she said "you mean Facebook?". I will admit that I research before I buy and trust the sources. Also prefer to purchase online where possible so I have a digital receipt.

This research is quite interesting, though I still wonder how many people in the older category mentioned are still not part of the Internet and therefore, don't count in the statistic.

Can they still be considered as savvy even though they don't look to web groups for camaraderie?

I'm glad you mentioned the Asian-American factor, which gets me thinking about new avenues to reach a brand new (brand new for me) target market.

Shirley

I typed in the Asian American bit because I directly related to it But here is a more comprehensive excerpt:

"Increasingly multi-cultural, three ethnic groups dominate the American family landscape: Hispanics, African-Americans and Asian Americans...
    - African-American media habits are TV- and mobile-centric.
    - Asian-Americans exhibit a huge appetite for online media.
    - Hispanics remain the single fastest-growing ethnic group in the United States, theanchor for an increasingly multi-cultural society. Mobile serves as a key source of connectivity within the Hispanic community."

I think there is definitely a savvy subset of the senior generation, I'd consider my dad, who is 63, quite close to the forefront of technology. Then again, my mom, who is also 63, is probably at the other end of the spectrum. She still turns her cell phone off after every call "to conserve battery life."

I appreciate you pasting the entire excerpt which broadens my focus and understand of marketing to these audiences. I read lots of business publications but don't remember reading this breakdown.

Love the info about your mom conserving her cell phone battery! I can't get my mom to turn hers off. She brags daily about how long her battery stays charged.

Shirley

Great find, and I think some valuable information for affiliate marketers if we apply it properly. People are turning to the Internet more and more for answers to everyday questions. We can build those resources and become "Mom" to those looking for advice.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by CTanK View Post
    logging 80 hours on the internet and viewing 3,600 web pages,
    This is the beginning of the end for TV - no wonder newer TVs come with an internet port - besides, why should I pay cable charges and view all those ads?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    So ultimately does everyone in the household get an iPad like device and everyone does their own thing? Would cut down on the arguing and fighting over TV by the kids. Our local pro soccer team was in their playoff game last night and it wasn't on cable or satellite. My daughter and I found it online and watched it there. There are times when online beats TV.

In 1998 I was at Condex where Bill Gates introduced Windows 98. They had an exhibition where the home was wired via IP. They were able to shut off all incoming calls for their child's birthday celebration except for Grandma's call. I liked that! They showed how a call could be routed to one of the teenagers to the TV then her computer. Funny that it took 13 years to see that actually work.

I feel that technology should be there to serve us not dominate us. I look forward to the day when all homework is submitted online and the TV is restricted when not done, including video games. We police our kids but have to trust them when they say their assignments have been turned in. TV is only in the family room and not in their bedrooms. Still they watch more than I like to see but am thrilled to see my 14 year old reading books like crazy.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread