I got a heavily rebated copy of Norton Firewall today with a purchase of 2005 turbotax. Before I opened the Norton box, however, I went to CNET to read the reviews and the user opinions were horrible.

So, I'm now looking at either Zone Alarm Pro ($9.95 after rebates at CompUSA) or Mcafee Firewall. Any opinions or preferences between the two firewall programs?

Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    I lothe software firewalls....

I use a hardware 'router/firewall' between my computers and the internet. Any router will do.

If you already have a router, then the only thing a software firewall does is alert you to OUTGOING connections. I don't think this is needed on a system if you are active in keeping it clean.

For Anti-Virus software, I use AVG from Grisoft. Its small and clean and just does anti-virus - nothing else.

I use ZoneAlarm and it's a good product. You can get a version with anti-virus included too, which is pretty good value.

IMO it's not worth cutting corners on this stuff.. it's usually a small price to pay to keep your PC safe!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

What chrisk said.

Although, I think the key is how much junk one allows on their system. I know Ms. B does a lot of testing, so I could see where she would want protection. One never knows when dormant application is going to do something stupid.

I know my system well enough, so that I don't have to use a "soft" firewall. One of the things that I do is use a memory manager that reports free memory down in the corner.

Fred

You can't go wrong with Zone Alarm as it is the most downloaded firewall as of today. Personally I tried them both and I think MCAfee was made at the helen keller school of software design, very sloppy work.

Hope this helps,
    RAREVOS

"...MCAfee was made at the helen keller school of software design..."

Imagine how their software works (doesn't work) for someone who doesn't know computers. They just leave it alone if it works, and trust the settings are okay. Did someone say "Intuitive?"

Fred

Thanks for the feedback.

I bought Zone Alarm suite earlier today and am about to install it. I'm not a techie, so I'd rather use a passive solution such as firewall than actively scanning my computer for problems.

how about IPTables.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> how about IPTables. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread