Umm Yahoo Dumped me anyone else not have sites indexed in yahoo today that were there yesterday??

Thanks
    Doug
    Thanks,
    Doug

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Just checked one particular "heavy hitter" site I have in yahoo - it's still there.

Are these data-base driven pages that fell out of the index?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

a little of both. some are even modrewrites
    Thanks,
    Doug

I lost 100 pages that were quality I give it up to having adsense on my pages. To heck with Yahoo who needs them. Maybe I will ban the slurp too
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I give it up to having adsense on my pages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why??
    Thanks,
    Doug

There have been rumours on other webmaster forums that this has been happening. I just shook it off to a rumour until it hit my site. I had over 20 #1's disapear from the site altogether. the pages that were not #1 are still in yahoo but they are dropped to the bottom of the list. I used overture last year on this site last year but refused to do it this year since it cost me a small fortune. Am I being paranoid I don't know but I will tell you im not happy.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I have a site with lots of AdSense and it's showing normally.

Yahoo blacklists sites as it feels fit, for reasons that it doesn't publish.

For example, I have a site that constantly ranks well in Google, but if I time the name of the site (let's call it WorldOfWidgets.com) into Yahoo, it doesn't even show up in the top spot.. it shows up in spot number 7 *after* a couple of minor aliases of the domain that aren't really listed anywhere, *and* my Alexa rankings, *and* a more-or-less random page that just happens to mention my domain.

This is an *improvement* over the situation a couple of months back where I wasn't turning up in Yahoo! at all with the main domain name, just the aliases.

So what's odd about this domain? What have I done that's different from my other sites? Simple.. I used to promote it heavily with Inktomi and didn't switch to Overture. I presume my penalty is meant to be an "incentive".

So.. I haven't seen the AdSense issue yet, but I am absolutely convinced by what I've seen over the past couple of years to believe that Yahoo is a company that is utterly unethical in its business approach, and frankly anything is possible.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I've had the same thing, two sites were gradually getting indexed and showing some nice traffic. The week of Thanksgiving we fell out of the Index. Late this week the traffic on both started to come back. Now they're gone again.

I don't think it's because they are adsense, datafeed or affiliate sites. I think it's just Yahoo going through some growing pains. The slurp is going strong on those and other sites.

I'm just going to be patient...

It's no rumor. Yahoo has been on a rampage deleting affiliate sites from its index when it finds them. Some sites have been fortunate enough to stay under the radar, however.
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I was a 6 mo member of searchengine-news ($90 ouch!) and there was a statement in one article that adsense may lower your ranking. That was a few months ago. It is possible that they could have taken this another step.

My one #1 page on yahoo does not have adsense. I think I will leave it alone. Lots of other pages do have adsense and they will continue to have adsense even if yahoo never indexes them. Adsense is great due to its consistency. Not too many things are consistent in the affiliate's world.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

No hocus pocus. I have a client that spends PPC on Overture, has paid the Yahoo Directory fee (years ago when that was important) and is not an affiliate site so there is no adsense involved.

The same page that ranks #1 or near #1 on Google, ranks #45 on Yahoo and that is the norm. They get 80% of their traffic from Google and only 20% from Yahoo/Overture.

Yahoo just has a ton of junk that they are working to clear out by changing the algo frequently and hand banning the spammy sites.
    Chris Mayr
    When amassed, even dust can become a mountain.

There is a finite amount of intelligence but an infinite amount of stupidity in the universe

They seem to like IP blocks too. So, if you're unfortunate enough to be on the same IP as someone who falls out of Yahoo's graces, you can get caught up in the fun and get wiped from its index through a form of "guilt by association."
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

A lot of this sounds like speculation. Everybody thinks the search engines are out to get them. I'm starting to think we give ourselves too much credit. I'm sure all engines have people who manually comb the data, but probably not to the extent that you're thinking. These engines may be based on formulas that really do have a sense of what's built for a human and what's built for a search bot, but who knows. If what you're assuming is true, it would be very clear that Yahoo is not listing AdSense sites or sites that aren't paying for Overture. I don't think they're being as underhanded as you're making them out to be. They're just trying to provide results that will keep people coming back. Is your site worth coming back to?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is your site worth coming back to?

- Scott <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm Yes, Not spammy, good content, colors are pleasing to the eye, no pop-up....

Let me just say again that I'm am not talking about a change in rank. All the pages were dumped.

site:www.domain.com just returns 1 page
    Thanks,
    Doug

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Same here. My number one site is gone from their index.

It ranked well with them in the beginning, then POOF! it was gone.

I contacted them asking for an explanation as to why and keep getting the same canned response back outlining their terms - which I had already checked to see if something had changed when they dropped me, and none of which I am in violation of.

I contacted them again and pointed that out and also contacted 'the guy' in charge directly and asked for a manual review and got the same terms stuff back, but not the same 'canned' response. So I wrote again and explained that there was nothing in the terms that, by my understanding I was going against and asked if they could please specifically point out what the problem was so I could fix it and they never answered me.

The site in question is well designed, not spammy in any way, doesn't redirect, doesn't have a bunch of domain names pointing to it or anything like that. It does have Adsense on it though and I never thought about that connection before. All my other sites that are similar to my main one do NOT have adsense on them and they rank just fine in Yahoo.

I really think they are starting to gun for affiliate sites, and slowly picking them off one by one. I hope I am wrong.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    Inktomi and latterly Yahoo have been hand reviewing sites for years. They've gotten more aggressive about it recently, but it's not specifically targeted to affiliates.

However, as one of the things they consider to be spam is 'sites that primarily consist of affiliate links', I doubt that your site wasn't 'spam' by their definition, Michelle.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markymark:
    However, as one of the things they consider to be spam is 'sites that primarily consist of affiliate links', I doubt that your site wasn't 'spam' by their definition, Michelle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My site is more than just affiliate links, and if that were the reason, then the other sites now sitting in the top spaces for my keywords would be gone too since they are using their affiliate relationships the same way I am using & presenting mine.

There has to be something more to what is happening. I just wish that once you have made contact with a living breathing soul at Yahoo they would tell you what exactly is supposed to be wrong.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread