More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I got the email shown below. My guess is the next email (if I were to reply) would be some payment of some type way over the amount of the item (if I actually sold any) with a "kindly" request for the "change" in return.

HELLO,
    I WILL WANT YOU TO KINDLY SUPPLY ME WITH SOME ITEMS FROM YOUR STORE BUT BEFORE I COULD PLACE THE ORDER I WILL WANT YOU TO KINDLY ADVISE ME ON ANY OF LISTED PAYMENT MODE, (VISA, MASTERCARD OR AMEX CARD.) YOU CAN ALSO GET BACK TO ME WITH THE SHIPPING COST VIA AIR FRIEGHT DOWN TO LAGOS NIGERIA AND DO NOT FORGET TO INCLUDE YOUR WEBSITE SO THAT I COULD PICK OUT MY CHOICE FOR
    YOU TO BE ABLE TO QUOTE ME.
    AWAITING TO READ FROM YOU.
    MY REGARDS
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador

*Anything* from Nigeria is a scam.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

You guys remember that scam well it still goes on different people are doing it now I guess. But it's the one where they say they have a large amount of money and need to transfer it and they wipe you clean. well some idiot got the email replied and told them he would only do it if they met him. So he met them they did it and the guy had all his money stolen. He tracked down the scammer and killed him.

definitely a scam .. they're trying it on every type of online store right now, especially as christmas shopping season heats up.

ship to them and they get it within a few days then prob a week or two later your credit card merchant lets you know that the card # was stolen and the items have been charged back ... hmm, wonder who's left holding the bag then

I get these crappy emails most days, even though I just run an affiliate site. They seem to fall into two main batches: Nigeria/Uganda/Sierra Leone as one group, and Indonesia (often pretending to be from Singapore) in the other group. Often the scammers will be using an accommodation address in the UK or US to try to look legitimate, but the IP addresses in the mail headers give it away.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

this particular one wants to order from your site but needs to know your site address first (!)

then if you do get an order from them they overpay via cashier's check by quite a large amount. you figure the check must be good and so does your bank so you cash it and refund cash back to them, usually in England, for the overpayment. couple of weeks later your bank comes to you for the money because now the check is discovered to be no good.

you have no protection regarding the check's authenticity.

Hi Everybody,

I agree and it happen to me, these slime bags attempted to roost me, however, I took the check of 40,000 to my bank as although from face value the check looked good, I felt wary, I asked the manager to confirm it's authenticity and sure enuff.. BOGUS...

How it works is a person from this scam will walk into a bank, get a certified note and bring it home to a computer that is equipped with special software that is suppose to be off the market, they will go over the check adding elements like price, names, add a signature that most of the time I'm to understand is too steady, so it is believed it is placed on the note. They will proceed to assure all watermarks, etc are all matchable, etc. They will send the check out in a plain envelope, it will arrive via FEDEX courier. Once you get back to the the scammer, he will in very bad english with heavily bad grammar tell you something like since the check is good, we ask that you now pay the remaining balance in the form of a cash payment via western union or MoneyGram ( LOL ) The reason for all this is they will wait for the good check that you may assume is good and will send from your account, thinking oh well in a few days I'll be so rich, I can afford the risk, after all the check is good, however, what a bank really does is approve that funds are good, it doesn't get ugly till a few weeks later , they call and tell you different after they shoosh it over to a clearing house....then you are hurting...

Another red sign is well of course, they will tell you that they over paid becuase they need you in good faith to pay their shipper, client, etc. who at this point will miraculously be on a traveling spree, LMAO this was making me roll on the ground laughing.. THESE PEOPLE ARE SO DARN COMICAL AS THEY ARE STUPID..

Now on if I sell any company which I plan on, I will either use Escrow or have the bank manager call the issuing bank to verify, they were able to know right away ...

Also be wary of people who demand you to use Western Union or Money Gram with a next day payment.If they are genuine there will be two indications of this, (1) they will work with you to assure a safe sale on both ends, they are in the business, they know the drill (2)They will want to know the wearabouts of their money, not have a I don't care attitude.

Also they use addresses that are non-matchable such as Lago Maryland Nigeria, Oregon Ohio, Florida locations, Texas areas, etc.... They are sneaky,however, they are dumb...

They also use weird names like Jeff_Mark, Tony Mark and other weird variations...

I'd like to help with more information, however, the authorities prevent me from.

I hope my information helps and spread the word on these fools so other innocent people don't become victims.

Sorry Haiko for being so so wordy, just looking to help people.

Rarevos

Ty for sharing Rarevos, hopefully it can help others from being victimized.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

RAREVOS, i disagree with you that they are dumb ... the fact is, it's working so i think the people that fall for it are the dumb ones. if they send out this spam email to a 100,000 people and of that 100,000 people, 1% (1,000) fall for it for around $1,000 each .. uhmmm .. smart crooks in my view.

T5J, Rarevos actually said

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They are sneaky,however, they are dumb... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whic I think is exactly right. Personally, I publish all these scam emails on my site, so that other potential victims can find them.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with T5J, anyone who falls for that is just plain old dumb themselves. Additionally, a big sign that these people aren't that intelligent is that they have the worst spelling/grammar under the sun. You'd think that if they were educated (and in English) they would know our correct grammar.

In any case, they're also all over the yahoo messenger/chat. In those cases they're imcompetent lawyers (also who can't spell) representing clients with large sums of money. One time I played with them and told them to give me their account number from which the money is coming from. The guy was so confused he finally gave up. Lol..dummies.

Anyway, any spam from Nigeria screams scam.

Robin

We're headed to Nigeria after Iraq. We'll smoke 'em out of their huts.

The troops would never make it past the carnage on the Sagamu Expressway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Whic I think is exactly right. Personally, I publish all these scam emails on my site, so that other potential victims can find them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recently saw a segment on the local news of people who had fallen for the scam. It was really, really sad. Most of them were people who desperately needed money - elderly, single moms...it was really sad.

Letting people know it is a scam is such a great thing. Being *in the know* we wonder how people can fall for it...but they do. And many people get hurt.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread