any thoughts.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Blasted typical SourceForge page comes up for Privoxy.org

What's "blasted" about the project is always the same--it doesn't tell me clearly, just what the thing is supposed to do!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> From their site: Privoxy is a web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities for protecting privacy, modifying web page content, managing cookies, controlling access, and removing ads, banners, pop-ups and other obnoxious Internet junk. Privoxy has a very flexible configuration and can be customized to suit individual needs and tastes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Modify web page content" Whose? How? Where? Is it a N*rton-type thing? An HTML editor? Or???
    "remove ads" How?
    "controlling access" to WHAT?
    "managing cookies" What the H is *that* supposed to mean? What's to manage?
    "protecting privacy" Way too vague! How? From what/who?

Gah...typical hidden-in-plain-sight SourceForge project page; a person can't really tell a thing about it by reading that, yet some joker'll tell you the information is "all" on that page (or on other equally cryptic docs pages that only the developers could love)...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

if I get time later tonight I'll look into the ports collection on my FreeBSD server and see if it exists there. If it does I may be able to get some real details.

yup. it's available for FreeBSD so I installed it to see what it was about. Got referred to privoxy.org which is easier to get the info from.

Some of the source code is credited to Anonymous Coders and JunkBusters, Inc.

You can find the manual at http://www.privoxy.org as well as a link to an input page but when I went to file a "feature request" like whatthehelldoyouthinkyou'redoingtous I got a 404.

Apparently it is a client-side do-all blocker that can also take care of a LAN. It is highly configurable as to what you can block, from "fragile" sites where you might want to freeze a moving .gif, to baddy sites with lotsa popups.

My opinion is that it is someone's pet project; done by someone with time on their hands who had an "ads are bad" mindset. or a member* of the anything-for-a-buck club.

*shows a team member list on the man page.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Got referred to privoxy.org which is easier to get the info from.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the very site I was talking about, LOL!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

methinks the application was intended for the survivalist mentality.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread