New Google Coupon Site

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    <sigh>

I honestly don't know whether to applaud them for rolling this out so quickly or to just log off for the night and perhaps go and ...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Groupon better look forward to #2 or worse rankings on 'daily coupon' searches. We know who's always most relevant.

Like we see with:
    'mail'
    'map'
    'book search'
    'mortgage comparison'
    'translator'
    'earth'
    'groups'
    'movie showtimes'
    'scholar'
    'email'
    'voice'
    etc.
    Last edited by simcat; April 22nd, 2011 at 12:10 AM.

thanks for the information. actually i know nothing about these Daily Coupon!!! can any one plz describe without vomiting???

Quote Originally Posted by bestwebman06 View Post
    thanks for the information. actually i know nothing about these Daily Coupon!!! can any one plz describe without vomiting???
    One deal a day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia explains it fairly well.

I haven't heard any fanfare about this, not even from Groupon who might publicly complain about attempted, outright, or deliberate siphoning, but then again, complaining would bring more attention to this launch. Guess I wouldn't want that either.

Shirley

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know how much truth there to these reports as Groupon's financials are private .. Some reports say, that Groupon's sales are falling - See Groupon’s US Revenue Numbers Falling idaconcpts month over month.

I think Groupon could have had the last laugh selling out to Google when the offer was on the table. Since rejecting the offer, and seeing reports of organic growth in the US falling off, and livingsocial and others becoming formidable competitors in the space ... I think Groupon made a major mistake in not taking Google's bid!!. Groupon knew too well Google Offers is coming down the lane when they rejected Google's bid!. It was just a matter of time.

Also, Groupon's business model (a coupon business at heart) is easily replicable as seen by 100s of clones that are out there.

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals View Post
    I think Groupon made a major mistake in not taking Google's bid!!.
    Wasn't it more a case of.. Groupon was afraid that the deal would get shut down by the Feds, leaving Groupon in limbo for months while it was going on. And Google wouldn't agree to a breakup fee big enough for the risk?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by gcarson View Post
    Wasn't it more a case of.. Groupon was afraid that the deal would get shut down by the Feds, leaving Groupon in limbo for months while it was going on. And Google wouldn't agree to a breakup fee big enough for the risk?
    I don't think the Feds were a concern, given 100s of similar sites like Groupon are already out there!. I have not a report which said the deal was shot because of Fed concerns!. I think it was more the case of the Groupon CEO and some investors big ego ...

15 years and counting
    Google is just trying to copy all sucessful models. Using OUR data from search, adwords, analytics... to determine what to go after. What's next, a coupon site like RMN. Who said Google was no evil?

Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals View Post
    I don't think the Feds were a concern, given 100s of similar sites like Groupon are already out there!. I have not a report which said the deal was shot because of Fed concerns!.
    Really? Not sure how you missed it. Here's one from Forbes, although Business Insider was the first to report it.
    Last edited by gcarson; April 24th, 2011 at 06:35 AM.

I don't know how the Groupon sales team can keep coming up with the cool and unique. In the market for which I receive daily email "deals" - I have been seeing more and more scuzzy places trying to "buy" that initial customer. I could have gotten great deals on massages all around the Baltimore area, many in places where I wouldn't care to visit. Today's email deal is for a magazine subscription. How unique is that? It offers a deal for 52% off and the first other place I checked is offering 67%

BTW - I have yet to buy my first Groupon because I haven't found anything that would really give "me" a discount. I did buy one (but only one) Living Social deal so far - for food at a neighborhood restaurant that we go to anyway. (The intended "deal" was no deal for them - because it did not produce a new customer, just a big discount for us.)

Sooo...I wouldn't be surprised to hear about revenues beginning to fall. Just my 2-cents, of course. Besides people still have to buy gasoline - and that may leave less $ for impulse deals. Hmmm...I'm betting half price on a tank of gas would sell - I might even buy that one.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    Bill, as always great comments and observations!
    Gcarson, thanks for the links!. I must have missed or forgot those ...!. Time will tell how this part of the COUPON (local) marketing evolves

Outsourced Program Manager GregPowell's Avatar
    Coupon marketing is such a booming niche right now. Even people who are getting ready to spend $50k on gold will quickly look for a deal (like free shipping) before they hit the order button. At least for us, coupon sites always convert great.

Join the Affiliate Gold Rush! APMEX gives you the opportunity to sell Precious Metals online!

ABW Ambassador
    Now LA Times (newspaper) is also getting in on this - LA DEALS

Seems like everybody can launch a groupon clone these days with ease!!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    The market is incredibly saturated:

daily deals denver - Google Search

Read Groupon's revenue was somewhere between $600-800MM - that's a lot of wealth to spread around. Not taking into consideration Living Social's market share.

I've yet to see merchants who have stated "WOW, we got NEW customers with our daily deal program - and they kept returning, too!"
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread