I'm drowning in a pool of customer emails asking a million questions about some of the merchant products.

I use a contact form and have clearly stated that I don't OWN the products on some of the pages.....but still the email continue. This weekend has been a livving hell of these types of emails.

Anyone else have these problems, if so, how do you deal with it?

Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

ABW Ambassador
    Either use the delete button or get rid of the form. Let the merchants supply their own customer support.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Except for the typical Nigerian scammers trying a purchase request, I haven't gotten a EcomCity confused shopper e-mail in years. Are you a mirror feed site for merchants?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Why not set up affiliate links "about these products" to the customer support pages of the merchant?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Internet Cowboy
    or why not take the time and look up as much as you can, them send them a few links with choices of items in their interest? Turn those e-mails in to money.
    And by all means do cater to the Nigerians. They buy often and in large quantities!

If I can accomodate the question i.e. someone is looking for a product and can't find it, I answer them.
    If someone has a question about a product(that's on my site) I send them the link or phonenumber of that products customer support and I ALWAYS explain I'm an advertiser not the merchant.

I've read someone's post on this board that they have an autoresponder that tells the consumer to contact the site they bought from...

That is sounding like a good solution to me considering all the ridiculous questions I get.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

I get a few, less than one a week on average. Depending on what they are use them to add content to the pages the questions are arising from - in time you should get less.

I also have an "any questions" page on one site, before posters get to the form there's a whole load of "I won't answer this:.. or this:... or this:.." etc. the main thing is I won't answer if it's already on the site. Someone called my comments "caustic" a while ago and then didn't bother to thank me for my expansive answer. People are funny at times and as someone else said - delete them, make a decision as to how much it might be worth to answer and if it's not enough - delete it - unless you can use it to improve your site.

The answer is simple - don't put your email or contact form on your site!!

That way they have to ask the merchant.
    Ebudae

I had one that asked if I can make alterations to the item, even after I sent an email explaining that I am an affiliate of the merchant and added a link directly to the product page of the merchant

One wants to know if an item is in stock and for me to respond AS SOON AS POSSIBLE <---all in caps, as if that's going to make me feel the importance just a little bit more

One that wants me to act as a laison between him and the merchant

and on and on and on........

I do have an FAQ section and an order info section - with links on each page to them. I think maybe it's less work for the customer to send an email than to look for the answers themselves. That's what I'm starting to think anyway!

I get them occasionally and I have to redirect them to a merchant. Some people just don't get it.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

You make money off your customers. Why not answer their questions when you can? Sometimes I get emails about problems with products that weren't even bought at my site, I go look up the manufacturer contact info and send it to the customer. I figure if they knew how to find it, they wouldn't have contacted me in the first place. Maybe they will remember my site as the one they got a response and some help from.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You make money off your customers. Why not answer their questions when you can? Sometimes I get emails about problems with products that weren't even bought at my site, I go look up the manufacturer contact info and send it to the customer. I figure if they knew how to find it, they wouldn't have contacted me in the first place. Maybe they will remember my site as the one they got a response and some help from. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I don't think the majority of people shopping online understand affiliate marketing. They are just trying to shop.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You make money off your customers. Why not answer their questions when you can? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also agree with that.

It's the ones that want to keep emailing me with things I have no control over that really frustrates me. for example, a woman wants ME to customize a product that I don't sell. Somehow I think she expects me to buy the item, change it to her specs and then ship it to her.....she doesn't seem satisfied that I located a merchant for the product she is looking for and wants to deal with me specifically.

Admittedly, in a weird way, that is flattering but it's becoming a time consuming problem.

I had one like that a few weeks ago...

"PLEASE HELP ME MY BABY IS FALLING OUT OF ITS HIGHCHAIR AND I NEED THE STRAPS FOR IT"

the next day

"PLEASE I CANNOT USE THE CHAIR AND MY BABY NEEDS TO EAT!"

I frankly thought it was a joke.

no brand or anything -- 3 emails later I finally extract the info...turns out someone gave her a used high chair with no straps some model that is not even offered on mywebsite!!! I politely suggested doing a search for the manufacturer and email them directly...but man if it where a phone call instead of an email I would have ripped on that person

I worked in customer service for a few years. That helps with dealing with these sort of things..I heard all sorts of crazy things during those years!!!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Actual etailers get the strangest requests. My suspender merchant has bulletin board for humorous request notes. One was for custom made suspenders for Wringling Bros. Circus midgets.. They must have wanted to make sure their pants stayed on when fired out of the Circus cannon.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "PLEASE HELP ME MY BABY IS FALLING OUT OF ITS HIGHCHAIR AND I NEED THE STRAPS FOR IT" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get these types too.....it's just so much funnier hearing someone else talk about it.

Incidentally, I used to think these types were jokes too!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My resolve to NOT put my contact info in findable locations has been strengthened even more than normal by reading this thread!

People having to use the whois to find my contact info has been the best bozo filter of all!

Fortunately, on the couple of sites I have that actually have link exchange pages, none of these jerks have figured out that there might be something on the "links" page besides links!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You make money off your customers. Why not answer their questions when you can? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because the merchants are making 90% (gross) on the sale and I'm getting the 10%--and the prime reason for me accepting them being the ones making that 90% instead of me, is because THEY'RE the ones doing the customer service!

I'm not accepting the 10% side merely to avoid putting stuff in boxes, ya know~!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    It also depends on what type of site you have. If it's the type that's just an SE type of site, then i can see some not making it so your site visitors can contact you. If it's a more SE, people friendly, bookmark, return visitor type of site, getting back in touch might make that site visitor a return visitor. I don't push too much product stuff and they still get confused and i have a set of answers i can usually just copy and paste that does the trick.

Can you imagine how bad it was when I had my phone number posted

I wrote "we do not accept collect calls" but it didn't stop them from coming, so I took the number down. Then I used an email abfuscator to keep my addy from being harvested. Followed by the form I use now.

Anyone remember my post about "intellectual Property"? those people ignored my contact form, did a whois search, ignored MY information on whois and contacted my server directly.

This has been such a learning experience

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread