Cookie question
    Why are some merchants with "average cookie" lives (30-45 days) greedy about doing custom extensions?

I've got some with forever, one year and 180 days. And recently a couple who flat would not move off their published terms.

I must be missing something. What might they be hoping will or will not happen?

Thoughts?
    thanks
    jon

I recently dealt with a merchant who offered an increase in commission to compensate for a short cookie duration (I found their overall terms unfavorable and said as much).

Now I'm not sure if it's true (or differs across networks), but I was told a custom extension wasn't possible - if they extend the duration for one publisher, it changes for all.

I'm sure some of the AMs here will be able to offer more expertise in how durations are calculated, etc. I've always thought it was niche specific - and in my niche, I would love to see 30-45 days as the average duration!

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post

Now I'm not sure if it's true (or differs across networks), but I was told a custom extension wasn't possible - if they extend the duration for one publisher, it changes for all.
    One of my SAS merchants sent me this back in Feb...

"Cookie length can be set individually, as a custom setting, in the SAS merchant interface. I would imagine the other networks also offer this capability.

Yours is set to our default of "Never Expiring" - but I have a pull-down set of choices if I would need to change an individual affiliate: 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 180, 365 days."

Shareasale makes it easy to give custom cookies and commission.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Yes, I realized after I posted, this question was in the SAS forum (my bad, thought it was a general question). Not all networks have this available.

If SAS makes this available to merchants, then I don't understand why they wouldn't make exceptions for valued publishers.

In my experience, if I had to choose between the two, I would rather have a commission increase than a cookie extension. Just my own two cents worth, based on my own stats.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    In my experience, if I had to choose between the two, I would rather have a commission increase than a cookie extension. Just my own two cents worth, based on my own stats.
    In many cases nearly most, I'd rather have a longer cookie over a 20% or so commission bump.

Hum a poll?

Quote Originally Posted by justnet View Post
    In many cases nearly most, I'd rather have a longer cookie over a 20% or so commission bump.

Hum a poll?
    Cookies past 30 days are almost irrelevant these days IMHO. But I think a poll is in order...
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    But I think a poll is in order...
    Greg, would you set it up please. I don't know how, plus you have more experience to word it correctly

Greg, would you set it up please. I don't know how, plus you have more experience to word it correctly
    Did you just call me old?
    Greg Hoffman

Cookies past 30 days are almost irrelevant these days IMHO
    I believe it depends much more on what the product is. Some things are impulse buys and 30 days is plenty, some things require much more research before the decision to buy and 30 days is not long enough. Wedding and vacation related orders may be made months after a first click through.

Did you just call me old?
    No Dick, I just said you know more than me.

No Dick, I just said you know more than me.
    You crack me up. (inside joke)
    Last edited by Hectic GHC; April 22nd, 2011 at 05:37 PM.
    Greg Hoffman

Cookies past 30 days are almost irrelevant these days IMHO. But I think a poll is in order...
    Sorry Greg I have to disagree with you on this one, I regularly see sales 100+ days after the cookie was set.

I also know that on CJ to can have different cookie lengths for different affiliates. I have them for a few merchants.
    Last edited by kse; April 22nd, 2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

For me, it's all about the ROI - if I can turn a profit with a quality company that has a short cookie length (session, 1 day, 30 days), why not? Sure I may continue to look for better situations and use my conversions/sales to try to negotiate some better terms but for me at the end of the day I am more concerned about whether a merchants converts and whether I can tweak my spend to get into the black vs. the red.

One of my SAS merchants sent me this back in Feb...

"Cookie length can be set individually, as a custom setting, in the SAS merchant interface. I would imagine the other networks also offer this capability.

Yours is set to our default of "Never Expiring" - but I have a pull-down set of choices if I would need to change an individual affiliate: 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 180, 365 days."
    Hmmm...that sounds like an answer I [might have] sent out.

Some merchants are willing to compensate affiliates long-term, including re-orders, while others are only or want to, or are able to, pay for a first referral.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

16. Thanks From:

I'd like to see all merchants at very long - 90 days plus cookies. But I don't think the average user keeps cookies on their computer like they did a few years ago. I'm glad you see success though.

In CJ, you can create different sets of terms but you are limited in the number of terms available. so customizing is more difficult.

Here is the poll: Extended Cookie Vs. Commission Bump - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    Greg Hoffman

Good feedback so far, thanks folks.

Maybe after someone can help me with my original question we can discuss some things to look out for like consumable merchants with 15 day cookies. (for the newbies)

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread