View Poll Results: Would you rather have a longer cookie or a bump in commission?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Longer Cookie

3 21.43%
  • Higher Commission

10 71.43%
  • Long cookies are no longer relevant in most programs

1 7.14%
    Question Extended Cookie Vs. Commission Bump
    An affiliate has asked the following question:

In general, would you rather have a longer cookie length or a bump in commission?

He says, in many cases, he would rather have a longer cookie as opposed to a higher commission like 20%.

I know it depends on the product, but what do you think?
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Is it an option for individual affiliates to chose which they'd prefer and keep both options in play? Some may be very alert to their stats/analytics and know that they would benefit w/the longer length whereas many may just go for the clearer higher payout. My guess is that the commission bump will sound better. Perhaps another option is have an extended cookie length TOGETHER with performance incentives.

As long as the cookie duration is reasonable for the product being promoted, I'll take the commission increase any day of the week. But then again I'm targeting people later in their buying decision cycle, so other affiliates may think differently. Most of my advertisers have cookie lengths of 15-60 days, which is plenty long enough IMO. If the duration is too short (ahem, Amazon), an increase in cookie length would definitely be more valuable because it would mean the difference between getting credit for a sale or shooting blanks.
    Your Ad Here.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Prefer the higher commission, get the visitor to buy as soon as possible - preferably before they go back out searching and find a competing affiliate site...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

The programs for "consumables" lend themselves well to longer cookies because of commissions that can be earned on re-orders.

We have been seeing first orders of a minimum number of a product - likely "trying us out." But we have now been around long enough that I am seeing some third re-order cycles from some customers (and they are tending to be larger orders). Several of our affiliates are earning additional sales - with no further effort - and probably not even realizing it. (I know, as an affiliate, I seldom checked the cookie-duration stats that are available in ShareASale.)

While it it true that cookies don't last forever (with new computers, cookie washers/cleaning, etc), those merchants offering a very long cookie duration are certainly creating some incremental earnings for their affiliates. As an affiliate, I always looked at the cookie duration as part of the "deal" in promoting a merchant. As a merchant, Jill and I are proud to offer those long-lasting cookies. Especially so because ALL of our competitors end up short in that area - and ours is certainly a consumable product that does produce reorders. There are many other merchants with products having the same characteristics.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

superCool prefers both

it's great to have a long cookie life and see a very old click get you a commission, but the majority of superCool's commissions come within a day of the first click (according to stats), so the higher commission would be more useful.

Agree with OTProf that an option would be nice, but possibly not practical ??

Quote Originally Posted by affninja View Post
    As long as the cookie duration is reasonable for the product being promoted, I'll take the commission increase any day of the week. But then again I'm targeting people later in their buying decision cycle, so other affiliates may think differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Prefer the higher commission, get the visitor to buy as soon as possible - preferably before they go back out searching and find a competing affiliate site...
    I prefer a reasonable duration (at least 14-30 days) and the highest possible commissions. Like affninja, I target people who are ready to buy. The commission is much more important to me.

Of course I would prefer both, but if I had to choose one or the other, the higher commission wins out.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

8. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hoffman Consulting View Post
    An affiliate has asked the following question:

In general, would you rather have a longer cookie length or a bump in commission?

He says, in many cases, he would rather have a longer cookie as opposed to a higher commission like 20%.

I know it depends on the product, but what do you think?

The use of cookies for efficient tracking of our hard-earned affiliate leads
    has been moribund for some time.

Browsers such as Firefox now routinely auto-wipe cookies at the end of
    each session, and it's getting to the point that soon the term 'long term
    cookie' will only be used by merchants hoping that we haven't noticed
    that cookies are a dead technology for affiliates.

The notion that merchants are doing us a favor by providing long-life
    cookies is laughable, and the merchants are surely laughing.

I suspect that all browsers will soon automatically ensure that cookies
    rarely last until even the next day.

The ONLY way forward is for merchants to (eg.) give us a code that
    our clients use at checkout for any future purchase (say 5% off etc.).
    Those clients are then hard-coded as ours for all subsequent revisits/sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    (I know, as an affiliate, I seldom checked the cookie-duration stats that are available in ShareASale.)

While it it true that cookies don't last forever (with new computers, cookie washers/cleaning, etc), those merchants offering a very long cookie duration are certainly creating some incremental earnings for their affiliates.
    I agree

Poll closes tonight. Looks like higher commission is going to win.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

There is no justification for cookie duration being any shorter than it could be anyway.

Any merchant who offers a choice between the two is just trying to slip a chisel into the equation.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

We have never considered offering an affiliate a "longer duration" cookie, I feel like I would be offending them to even suggest that as an option!

15 years and counting
    Even if I target visitors ready to buy, my stats at Shareasale show for the last 500 sales:
    Return days by gross Sale Amount: 81% for same day purchase. (4% over 15 days)
    Return days by Sale Quantity: 84% for same day purchase. (4% over 15 days)

Extended Cookie lenght is still important especially for larger orders but I'll pick also the highest commission with a min 15/30 days cookie duration.

Affiliate Manager Ian H - TicketLiquidator's Avatar
    This is an interesting thread. I just extended our cookie life in CJ to 60 days, but my boss is worrying that it'll eat into our other channels.

If anyone has any links to more detailed discussion of this issue, please post them!

Thanks.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Arial]Ian Hough.
    Affiliate Program Manager, TicketLiquidator.com.
    Contact: [email]ianh@ticketliquidator.com[/email][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Don't let your work go to waste. Sign up and get paid for all sales: [B]Onsales[/B], last-minute, etc.

We've run tests for this exact same reason recently. We've found that increasing both the commission and cookie duration is what works best for us.

In the end, each scenario is different so it will come down to your offer, how well it converts and how long the affiliates will want to promote. Test, test, test.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread