Affiliate Manager
    What to do with high-click/no-sale publishers
    I'm new to this and trying to understand IF a publisher in my affiliate program can lower my EPC...

This particular publisher, relative to other publishers, generates a significant number of clicks yet has never delivered a sale. He's been active for over a year.

Q's:

1. Does this affect my overall EPC (I'm on CJ)?
    2. What do other AM's do, if anything, with this type of publisher?

Thanks for the help...

Quote Originally Posted by webby101 View Post
    I'm new to this and trying to understand IF a publisher in my affiliate program can lower my EPC...

This particular publisher, relative to other publishers, generates a significant number of clicks yet has never delivered a sale. He's been active for over a year.

Q's:

1. Does this affect my overall EPC (I'm on CJ)?
    2. What do other AM's do, if anything, with this type of publisher?

Thanks for the help...
    A's:

1. Absolutely.
    2. AM's have handled this situation in a variety of ways. The knee-jerk reaction is to terminate the affiliate. However the smart AMs do a little research first. You may want to find out why this particular affiliate isn't converting and if all possible help them turn that significant number of clicks into a significant number of sales.

Good luck.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Agree with Rematt and had a recent situation. We had an affiliate on a CJ program sending more than 5000 clicks a month for two months. After contacting the affiliate with no response and not seeing a related site we terminated the affiliate. When further to contact the network and ask them to remove the clicks which they did. EPC went from a low of $46 and is now at $206.

Affiliate Manager
    Agree with rematt: I usually review the affiliate's site for broken links or outdated copy; I always offer help to improve the click/sales ratio and never threaten to kick them out of the program - especially, if they are generating sales; but it is an ongoing problem that can significantly lower the EPC

do you have a datafeed? could be that the affiliate has an automated process (link checker, price checker, etc.) that is following the aff links to get to your pages.

superCool agrees that you should contact the affiliate to see what's up

I took over a program in 2009 and the EPC was dismal. For the next three months, I worked with one particular affiliate to try and fine tune her traffic. She had sent more than 48,000 clicks in 4 years but only had 1 sale. I finally gave up and removed her. EPC skyrocketed immediately. It seemed like targeted traffic but obviously it wasn't. We tried though.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

My automated sites generate clicks when we generate thumbnail images. Then it settles down. So look into it, especially if it's a publisher new to your program.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread