What is a low-ball average conversion rate
    # of traffic vs clicks
    # of clicks per sale.

I know it really depends on targeting of the right affiliates for the user base and quality of affiliates and such, but just trying to make some projections on how much traffic I'd need to make a profit and be able to cover some operating expenses of some additions I would want to make at a later time when when my user base would be larger.

Way too many variables involved for anyone to give you a meaningful answer. Mostly things that only you know or can determine. No way to predict that x # of visitors will produce X% (or X$) profit.

Or traffic compared to the rates that are tracked such as # of actions or clickthroughs (if im using those terms correctly) ect.

As 2busy says, "Way too many variables involved."

Some food for thought... Is your product a "want" product or a "need" product? High price point or low? Is your site professionally designed and flow smoothly with easy and logical navigation through the sales path? Do you have leaks on your site (such as showing other ads or link exchanges)? Do you offer up-sell/cross-sell products to increase AOV?

...just to name a few...things to consider...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

It's pretty common for converstion rates to be somewhere between 0.1% and 10%, but it's not unheard of for them to be even lower or higher. It all depends on how well targeted your traffic is, what stage in the buying process they're at, how good the pricing is, and how well the merchant converts.

I know that's a huge range (two orders of magnitude), but that's reality.

I have one merchant that I promote on three different sites. My conversion ratio on the three sites span two orders of magnitude, similar to what I described above. It all depends on the traffic.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

6. Thanks From:

+1 for Michael's comments.

I've had sites where the clickthrough rate to advertisers was far below 0.5%, and I've had sites where the clickthrough rate to advertisers was above 10%. Sometimes these were pages with a link to a single advertiser; most often each page contains links to multiple advertisers.

Once someone has clicked to an advertiser's site, I see conversion rates from about 0.5% to about 5% (quite rarely 10%). (I've certainly had sites where the conversion rate was well below 0.1% or even zero, but I generally abandon those sites if I can't identify a way to generate meaningful revenue.)

Ultimately, I don't focus on clickthrough rate (CTR) or conversion rate (CR), but instead I focus on eCPM -- the "effective cost-per-thousand" that my advertisers are ultimately paying for ADVIEWS (not clicks) on my site. Overall, I want that rate to be above $1 and ideally well above $10, but there are lots of factors.

The main factors for performance: your site's relevance and usefulness to your visitors (audience); your site's subject; your site's audience (intended and actual); your audience's purpose or mode.

Note that various metrics (eCPM, CTR, CR, EPC) can vary significantly depending on the source, in part because of the formulas used. For example, Amazon doesn't report the number of orders (conversions-to-orders), but instead reports the number of items purchased (conversions-to-items); as a result, the "conversion rate" appears high when compared to many other advertisers and networks. Similarly, CTR, CR, and EPC vary considerably depending on what clicks are counted (for example, are search-engine and "bot" clicks excluded; are multiple clicks from the same user or IP address counted?).

Added: My "low-ball estimate for average conversion rate" is actually "very near zero." The vast majority of web sites (including web sites created for the purpose of earning performance-based advertising income) never generate any sales at all. There are lots of reasons -- but it's important to recognize that the "average" for active participants on this forum is quite different from the average you'd see if you somehow could include "all publishers" or "all affiliates."
    Last edited by markwelch; April 25th, 2011 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks for your responses

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I consider a 3% conversion rate for an affiliate program to be good and a 5% to be great. These are for retail programs. Remember that a 1% increase in a program that converts on the low end is a huge deal. Affiliate presell but the site has to convert.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread