Affiliate Manager
    First Click vs. Last Click
    We are currently reviewing our affiliate program and whether or not to change how we assign sales. I was recently informed that the industry standard was to pay based on last click. Is this the new industry standard? What are the benefits to changing to last click over first click? Thanks you for your advice!

Unless there is some reason to assign sales to first click, it has been standard practice to assign sales to last click. If your cookie life is one hour or something then first click makes sense, otherwise the last click is supposed to indicate that the last affiliate is the one that 'closed' the sale.

If you were to do a search here on "last click" you might find pages of discussion pro and con, but it is standard practice to assign sales to last click.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Agree with 2busy

Affiliate Manager
    Our cookie is a 45 day cookie. We use that for all our tracking. But recently SAS recommended moving to last click and that it was industry standard.

Does it matter what type of program you run? We run a sports retail affiliate program.

I've worked with hundreds of affiliate programs, and I can count the "first click" ones I've even heard of on one hand (and have plenty of spare fingers).

Last click is definitely the standard. Always has been.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

While both methods have their pro's and con's, we have gone with the "last click" method, which as stated above, is the industry standard. This method seems to be the most fair to our affiliates. Our program has a cookie life of 30+ days and due to the number of affiliates that push our service, if we were to go with "first click" we would constantly have to deal with losing "face to face" & "personal client" type commissions. Those sales are typically more risky as is, since the affiliate can persuade the customer to leave us. Last click isn't perfect (nor is cookie tracking) and that is part of the reason we developed a cookie-free referral method using custom generated discount coupons. It's been a huge success with our affiliates!

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    Last click isn't perfect (nor is cookie tracking) and that is part of the reason we developed a cookie-free referral method using custom generated discount coupons. It's been a huge success with our affiliates!
    Awesome technology! I focus on different industries than yours, but I strongly favor merchants who do coupon tracking. I typically see at least a 5-10% increase in sales (which would have been lost due to cookie/blocking issues), and depending on how many sites "steal" my code, sometimes I see huge increases.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

9. Thanks From:

a cookie-free referral method using custom generated discount coupons. It's been a huge success with our affiliates!
    + at least 100

CPA Network Rep
    Another reason for "Last click" is this. That's good protection for affiliates against "cookie stuffing".

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kassi View Post
    Another reason for "Last click" is this. That's good protection for affiliates against "cookie stuffing".
    Do you mind to explain.

CPA Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Do you mind to explain.

If affiliate program uses "first click wins", bad guys can (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookie_stuffing) drop cookies to thousands/millions of visitors. And good affiliate, who did good work and sent surfer to product page gets nothing, because surfer have been quietly tagged by someone else before.
    Last edited by 2busy; April 29th, 2011 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Unlinked URL

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread