Smile What should be my first step, if not creating a site?
    So, I've read a lot of advice and guidelines to creating a niche site, creating credible content, building my list/community and linking affiliate offers.

While engaged in that long path, what other kinds of affilaite programs can I start and test? What's the best for newbies?

(Background - Already been down the salesletter road, clickbank road, bull$hit scheme road...they all got me banned by google and gave me a bad taste of the industry....would like to learn about better types than that)

Lightbulb
    find several merchants that have products you can sell and feel good about. build a site for the products. perhaps make a niche site out of it by offering products that are similar or fit a similar usage.

Outdoor Living comes to mind. Or any part of it, i.e. outdoor cooking, or camping, or even hiking gear.

that's what a lot of us do here.

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ View Post
    find several merchants that have products you can sell and feel good about. build a site for the products. perhaps make a niche site out of it by offering products that are similar or fit a similar usage.

Outdoor Living comes to mind. Or any part of it, i.e. outdoor cooking, or camping, or even hiking gear.

that's what a lot of us do here.
    Thanks for the reply. I like that idea. Do you have an example? I feel like what I have in mind isn't right...I picture an eCommerce type website where you have categories of products with pictures, prices and descriptions, but they link back to the merchant...

I find it easiest to think about a problem someone might be trying to solve and find products that are the answer.

For instance, think about families of 5 wanting to go on vacation. Most hotel rooms just won't cut it. A searchable database of hotels/suites/rental properties that can accommodate 5 (or more) would be very useful.

Or perhaps a blog about frugal living. Many of the blog entries won't have products that you can link to (and that's fine - those will increase your readership, inbound links and search engine results), but some will. For instance, you might blog about book clubs as a way to get new books for considerably less. Or using a Flowbee instead of going to a barber.

Of a site about getting started in paintball. You can compare different equipment, blog, make recommendations, etc.

Pick something you're passionate about, or that you've tried to find the answer for yourself.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

5. Thanks From:

I picture an eCommerce type website where you have categories of products with pictures, prices and descriptions, but they link back to the merchant...
    If you already have a site with lots of traffic you might get away with something like that if it is attuned to your traffic, but a site with only products and links really isn't much different than a site with just banners and links. If you want to show products you need to write related articles to provide a call to action, and you still will only be likely to attract shoppers in the browse mode.

Merchants don't need a bunch of sites made for browsing, they need sites that get people ready to buy Blue Widgets or Round Widgets because...
    Hint: One well done page with one product will produce more sales than fifty pages of just products that link to the merchant's site.

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    If you already have a site with lots of traffic you might get away with something like that if it is attuned to your traffic, but a site with only products and links really isn't much different than a site with just banners and links. If you want to show products you need to write related articles to provide a call to action, and you still will only be likely to attract shoppers in the browse mode.

Merchants don't need a bunch of sites made for browsing, they need sites that get people ready to buy Blue Widgets or Round Widgets because...
    Hint: One well done page with one product will produce more sales than fifty pages of just products that link to the merchant's site.
    Yes, think you are a visitor, what kind of website will make you click and buy the offer there? Keep this in mind and you can start making money.

Lightbulb
    Personally, I'd start with blogging, as i have no programming background.
    Then I'd focus on something I am dying to know myself. I got a friend who's working out and trying to be bigger in body size now. And he spent ages online searching for how! That got me thinking - if there's a blog talking about how step by step and in details, he'd be a loyal fan of that blog for sure. It's good for him and the blogger.
    Last edited by CrystalDMP; May 23rd, 2011 at 02:03 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalDMP View Post
    Then I'd focus on something I am dying to know myself.
    Absolutely! That's the key to most successful web sites.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thumbs up
    Good luck with your new blogging venture. I'm in the same boat as you, a newbie trying to get starting into AM.

SP

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread