Affiliate Manager OutdoorPlayToys's Avatar
    Nexus Question
    I am finalizing my Sharesale program in the Shareasale system and am curious about 2 things. Because of all the issues around the Amazon tax laws, we will not be able to accept affiliates from those states that are affected - should this be noted in our program description or is there a setting within Sharesale that will allow me to omit people from the program from those states automatically.

I have not seen any other program descriptions noting that they are not accepting affiliates from these states - so how do affiliates know?

I hate that merchants are even in this position....ugh!

Thanks!!!

Lightbulb
    I have seen some program descriptions with the warning. As long as it is a condition, you may as well list the situation and follow up when there are changes.

Thanks Herb!

Outsourced Program Manager
    I have one merchant that did not want affiliates from those states. So what SAS has done is that affiliates from those states will not be allowed to apply to that merchants program. AS far as i know it is not something u can edit but must ask Brian to do it for you.
    Last edited by Richard - AMWSO; April 28th, 2011 at 12:29 AM.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Richard - that is what we were looking for and wondering if it was available I will contact them to confirm!

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I've seen it in some Merchant's TOS. I think it is a good idea to have it in your description and/or TOS so that affiliates know up front when reviewing programs to join. Even if SAS can suppress certain affs for you, I'd sitll have it. You never know when an affiliate might make it through the suppression (eg aff moved and hasn't updated profile info on SAS).

Thanks Kellie, I have added it to the TOS - and I have emailed SAS to see if I can block those affiliates as well. My concern is those that do get through - I know many do not read the terms of service thoroughly and I we are just trying to cover every base. :-)

Just hope at some point these laws get repealed!
    Jill Caren

As an affiliate, I can say that I appreciate any efforts made by merchants to let us know their situation with the nexus. Being as clear as you can be up front helps me! I am being dropped from dozens of programs, but I still wonder about the ones I haven't heard from.

A side note: I know you're just setting up, but try to keep this from happening - I was dropped by my biggest income producer merchant the very first day the law was signed. I still get a daily email from them with my offers and coupon codes, etc. It drives me crazy and illustrates that if one of the largest merchants can't keep it straight, how do I know the others are even aware of what's going on?

In a crisis, we need good solid information and it sounds like you understand that. You're on the right track trying to figure out how to be proactive with the info. Thanks!

Judi thank you so much for your thoughts! We do not want to be open of those merchants who are out of touch with affiliates and are doing our best to launch on the right foot - which is the large part of why we are here on ABestWeb. We believe in the relationship aspect and because I used to be on the affiliate side, I think I have a keen awareness of what frustrates affiliates, the nexus issue is a new one though - so this is so helpful.

We are actually looking at the possibility of including nexus affiliates later in the year....but for now, we do hope to be as clear and organized as possible!

Seems like the larger merchants are some of the worst to deal with - probably because they do not "need" affilaites (or so they think) as much as us little guys! :-)
    Jill Caren

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread