Outsourced Program Manager GregPowell's Avatar
    The lost art of the Press Release
    Every week we do a radio show/podcast on BlogTalkRadio about the precious metals market and more so how it relates to affiliates. Today's topic was a pretty cool one and it got me thinking more about how I used to market many products and am sitting back wondering now why I ever stopped Press Releases are so good for getting views right away and there are some services now that are cheap ($49) and super efficient! I wont spam anyone's site here but they're easily findable.

Anyhow, so many PR's are getting into Google News for 3-5 days and I have seen some great returns even this week from starting to send these out again. Is the PR a lost art form that was stashed in place of social media? There has to be a lot of synergy between the two. Anyone have a success story or ideas on how the PR and Social Media can blend into a nice 1-2 punch?

Thanks for the feedback.

Join the Affiliate Gold Rush! APMEX gives you the opportunity to sell Precious Metals online!

2. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep Chad-AvantLink's Avatar
    My 2 cents:

Press releases aren't a lost art. They are a quickly evolving one. Look at pitchengine.com for example. The "press releases" they help you compose are certainly not what a press release looked like 15 years ago. If a modern-day press release doesn't include social calls to action, embedded videos, and a short yet effective summary of your news (keep dwindling online attention spans in mind), you've already failed.

That being said, I actually don't believe that press release distribution services are even that necessary anymore. If you're properly managing an interactive and engaging social presence and you have good relationships with even just one or two journalists in your industry, then your news will most likely get out. The bottom line is that we're in an age where information won't be held back if it's relevant and wanted.
    Last edited by Chad-AvantLink; April 28th, 2011 at 11:41 AM.

4. Thanks From:

I'm currently reading Putting the Public Back in Public Relations, a free book downloaded to my Kindle.

It encourages marketers to be storytellers when distributing information to the media rather than tailoring our info in the traditional press release format.

One method that worked well for me to get my news on the newspaper's front page and in other sections, without being the handcuffed news of the day, is to take media individuals to lunch.

This isn't open to all of us, but since media people are rarely treated to a meal, it's a great way to raise the like/trust factor so you become a go-to person for a story or, at the least, a person they call to connect them with a lead. That eliminates the need to send monthly press releases, but I still distribute them in a storytelling fashion to the media people who are not close enough to meet in person.

Shirley

Outsourced Program Manager - Parenting Niche hermedia's Avatar
    I don't think that Press Releases are a lost art - I agree they are evolving. Traditional (old school press releases) don't work. PR reps have to start getting a bit more creative (some already are) and learn to 'pitch' stories of interest more - not just 'announce' things.

Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    What exactly is Press Release?

Man, I remember when Press Releases were huge 5+ years ago, I even had it on my resume as a skill back then. I don't know if it is a lost art so much as not applicable anymore. Press releases are used much more directly now, and not by advertisers for exposure either. It is an interesting thought though, I hadn't even considered P.Rs for anything until this thread.

i don't think press release is the lost art .
    press release is becoming more and more popular now a days.
    this is the best way to publish your business news to the viewers.

I use PRs all the time to update blogs. I always do rewrites though, then link to the PR. What I like is that you don't infringe on any copyright laws if you can't figure out a good way to reword something and decide to just use what is in the PR.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

11. Thanks From:

Are free press release distribution sites effective or a waste of time?
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Are we referring to PR - public relations? If yes, then I don't think it's a lost art. It's a part of business, politics, and many other industries. It is a necessity because PR deals with how the public views a certain body. Without it, who will handle the issues of companies (especially the mainstream brands) when they get into controversies? Or even without controversies - who will spread the word about a company's advertisements (among others)?

I don't know any specific success story of PR and social media; but I do know that social media help PR departments and companies to spread news about their brands. Articles and other materials (photos, videos) are easily disseminated through social media.

Do you have any suggestion on where to find a person/company who can't write an effective press release?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    who can't write
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by Vectoons.com View Post
    Do you have any suggestion on where to find a person/company who can't write an effective press release?
    I assume this should read "Can Write", is that correct? If so you can try elance
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Affiliate Manager FranklySpeaking's Avatar
    If your product/service is a niche and you "know your stuff", then you can write the press-release and submit it to an editor before publishing it. Some PR services can do this for you. A successful press-release is crafted as a catchy, informative, sticky message which results in a good amount of actions you want to readers to take.

However, considering the tons of PR services and daily releases, decide your goal before you start. Do you want to use your PR as a SEO tool? As an outreach channel for media? Etc. Depending on your goals, you can refine your message and get the budget in place. If you start from the budget, then you need to fit your goals within in.

Let us know how it goes!
    Frank Ravanelli, OPM
    [URL="http://www.linkedin.com/today/posts/frankravanelli"]Affiliate Marketing News[/URL] - [URL="https://www.linkedin.com/in/frankravanelli"]Frank Ravanelli on LinkedIn[/URL]

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread