Affiliate Manager
    Consolidating Networks ... need advice
    So after several long discussion with my management, we have decided to consolidate our affiliate program. When we began the affiliate program it made since to be in multiple as we grew the programs. But now it is not making the same amount of sense.

That being said, the deicision we are making may be a bit ... extreem... we are talking about closing our programs in one of the largest networks where we have the bulk of our sales but the most problems with parasites.

I want to move as many of these affiliates over to SAS and have that program grow. I just feel that SAS has a cleaner more transparent network and will allow me to focus on growing the programs rather than policing them and reversing sales.

I am planning on making this move during our off season in order to give affiliates time to make the changes. We would also not "close" the program completely at first but do it in stages in order to facilitate affiliates.

I am also going to be making changes to our program terms that would restrict the use of tool bars and not allow coupon sites to bid on our trademarked names ("company name" coupons").

So what I am looking for is advice and suggestions on what are the best practices and tips that I should keep in mind while making these changes.

Thank you for your support!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Before you make this move have you tried cleaning up the bigger network? Shareasale doe not do a better job of policing trademark poachers. They do a great job with policing adware affiliates and is one of two networks I trust on that basis. Before I would move off of a bigger network I would communicate directly with the producers. You might find out that they will not move with you.

3. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    This has been something we have been considering for several month as the affiliates have more than doubled and we have added several new "family of brands" to the program. As we have expanded, I have found that our other network has not been as responsive to our needs and have exceptionally high fees for each of the product lines we have added. Not to mention the fact that at our current level we are limited to banner and text links. And with 7 lines and growing to 10 this year, the $1200 fee for a pixel is a bit high. When we began the expansion of our program I did reach out to them, and it took weeks for a response. I know we are not a top 100 publisher, but we do produce over 2 million in sales off that network. And they have never reached out to us.

Share a Sale on the hand, has gone out of their be helpful even when I have not requested it. Between Sarah and Jason, they have made my job so much easier with advice and support.

As for the affiliates on the big network, currently they are coupon sites and most of them belonged to both. There are a couple that are only on this "big" network and while it would be a shame to loose them, is it truly worth staying.

This has all gone into our evaluation of our current affiliate program structure. Now I just have to determine how to make sure we still see our previous growth and make this transition as professional and seamless as possible .

If you find affiliates on both then push them to SAS and eliminate the affiliates on the other network. After that you can evaluate what is left. What is the other network?

Affiliate Manager
    I did that about 6 months ago, and most responded. However even after I sent them individual emails, they still did not respond. It was frustrating.

The other network we belong to is CJ.

What really got me was last year I attended ASE and I meet a few people from CJ and they were surpised to learn that we were a top 500 internet retailer company (in the top 200) and no one had ever reached out to me. They promised that we would be moved into the Vantage program and that we had been overlooked. Needless to say that never happened. I even tried to contact the people I met with there, and all they said was that I would have to wait until after the 1st of the year for any decisions. We average over 4k a month is fees to CJ each month and I still can't get them to help. I guess you have to be a really big publisher in order to get any assistance from them.

I will bump a note to my support team and see if they can help.

Affiliate Manager
    Thank you! That means a lot to me.

CPA Network Rep
    If you do decide to move forward with your consolidation - communication is key!! Give Publishers enough time to move over to another network and give them an incentive to do so. Examples of incentives to move networks would be: $xx bonus to change links by XXXX date, or 5% commission increase for the first month at the new network etc.
    Good luck!

Affiliate Manager
    If we did a bonus to move, would it be fair to the current affiliates on the network? I like the idea of doing something. It really makes sense. And what is enough time? A month? Two months ? More than that?

A month is more than sufficient, if they are going to move links they will move them ASAP. You do need to send the email/newsletter weekly as affiliates are inundated with emails, focus on the subject line.

As for a bonus I am not in favor of a bonus for something common sense. If you want to use it to get inactives going in the new network then that makes sense. You need to walk the producers over.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    SPnelson,

We place a huge emphasis on our service, so I'm glad to hear that you were happy with Sarah and Jason ... if you need any help or advice on how to continue to run a program that fits within your needs, just let me know. My email is brian@shareasale.com if you ever need anything.

Brand protection is important to us which is why we have the policies that we do have (no software, no adware, 3 strike PPC violation, review of affiliate applications, etc...)
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread