Affiliate Manager
    Pop Up on Landing Page, search engines?
    How do search engines feel about pop up windows on the landing page? I am considering putting one on my site front page for my newsletter optin.

Any experience or knowledge on this?

I don't know what the search engines think - but that pop-up will make me go elsewhere. I don't hang around any site that pops something before I get a chance to see if the site is worthwhile or not. I never respond to whatever is on the pop. Just my opinion - sorry if that's not what you want to hear.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

3. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Bill, Thanks for your response and your honesty. I have to admit that I feel the same way about pop ups. I'm a newbie at internet marketing and am getting lots of different advice on how to go about it. I'll take this into consideration.

I hope you haven't been getting that advice from some gurus' eBooks with price tags ending in a "7."

Also don't forget that we were all "newbies" in Internet Marketing at some point. However, back when I started it was a good bit easier to get a foot in the door.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

6. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    No, I've been surfing around different forums reading up. I'm starting to see there are many many different breeds of IM. It's interesting as a newbie, when you read something you think, "Oh, this is IT!" It's easy to believe what I read because I don't know anything else. But like anything in life, the more time you spend the more you realize how varied things are. I'm slowly learning this with IM. My goals are to provide a quality service with integrity, and to earn a fair income for my efforts. It's just a matter of learning how to do that. Some will tell me that I have to "SELL" hard, to push my product on people, that people are lazy and won't take action. This was some of the early information I heard, but now I'm seeing that it's not true at all. There must be a balance of 'helping people decide to buy' your product, without trying to get them to do something they don't really want to do.

Ooops, I just went on a meandering ramble there.

Anyway, thanks for your responses

Affiliate Manager
    Oh Bill, I forgot to ask if you don't mind, Why is it more difficult to get one's foot in the door now compared to when you started? What has changed?

i must say that i share the same opinion about pop ups. it's one of the most annoying thing on anyones website, as far as i'm concerned. i'm not an expert an not in the position to give advices, but you might consider to just put a newsletter box or something. if i feel after spending some time on your site that you have something valuable to provide i'd maybe sign up, but if the first thing when landing on your page is that pop up window, in most cases i will click back button..personally i think it's the wrong psychology, i know you will try to sell me something someday (in many cases in the second e-mail and that is the time i will unsubscribe).

10. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Ivan. I appreciate your response. If I may ask, Isn't part of the purpose of the newsletter to sell my product? I've been coached that the newsletter is the place to tell people about the product, and to try and sell it to them, with a series of 'autoresponder' newsletters. I was under the impression that this is the normal course of action with IM...

More difficult likely because there is a LOT more competition today. There also seems to be more scam/scammer/parasite activity than I remember way back when. The FTC is "finally" taking action against some of the misleading stuff out there that crowds the market for ethical webmasters/marketers.

On the other hand there is also opportunity today (that didn't exist back when I started) because of the technology available and the myriad products now available on line. You just need to develop a good following in a niche for people to find you. That technology has also added to the "noise" on the Net - for example in the gazillions of "cookie cutter" coupon sites...

Affiliate Manager
    Ok well that's not a big problem if you have good products and are providing something helpful. "Build it and they will come" as the old saying goes.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Voice
    Certainly is no longer a valid statement without marketing. As Bill mentioned, it was much easier, way back then.

I agree, stay away from the pop ups...
    Last edited by Convergence; April 29th, 2011 at 11:48 PM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Affiliate Manager
    Yeah fair enough. I just meant if you have a good product people will buy it. But people need to know it's there.

I'm done with the pop up idea. I am realizing this forum is where I can find the kind of advice I need to hear.
    [URL="http://mindfulnessangermanagement.com"]Mindfulness Anger Management[/URL]

the normal course of action with IM...
    Here's a site that shows how a lot of people seem to think marketing online should be done: Buy My Stupid Ebook, Overly SEO d Title, Keywords Crammed like Make Money Online Make Money Online Make Money Online God I Like Mozzarella Cheese Don't You?
    When you have a product that really has no value, then yes, it might need to be marketed that way. Push and intimidate people into forking over their email address or buying something that has no value. Other than people who are looking for something for nothing, most internet buyers don't like being pushed and prodded. They search for what they want and if you can show them why this is the one they "really want and need because" you may have a sale.

If you can show people the reasons why this product will meet their needs and make them feel better and look better, you have a sale. Of course we need to stick to the facts or we need to move around and start over a lot; so successful marketers have found that the same things that make them want to buy will make others want to buy, and treating shoppers with a little respect can go a long way.

If you have faith in your products you may want to think about offering some limited version free or low cost examples so that if they are satisfied they will be interested in more. Structuring products like courses is different than selling pots and pans in that you need to have the trust of shoppers to get them to even look at what you are offering. They know what they will get when they order a pair of shoes, but learning and behavioral products you need to sell yourself first and then the product. If their first impression is spam or scam, they will run away. Make a good first impression that you care about their problem and hope to show them the answer that they need. Stay away from the ebook gurus.

Affiliate Manager
    Thank you very much, this is super helpful. It's where I began when I set out on this journey, and got sidetracked into thinking you have to "sell" people. I was told that's the only thing that works, and it's good to be reminded of what I already knew but had been led to doubt.

So now I need to clarify and fine tune my presentation. I am confident that over time that people will want my product, it's just a matter of communicating what it is I have to offer.

Lot's to learn and do and love.
    Cheers

think of it like this: would you rather buy something from a "guy on the street" that you see for the first time, or would you listen recommendation from your "friend"?

pop up window is a guy on the street here..

Affiliate Manager
    Ah that's a good analogy. Definitely the pop up window is off my list of possible site changes.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread