Banners - Does Flashing or Static Matter?
    Hello Everyone,

I'm preparing to have new banner images created for my affiliate program and want some of them flashing while others are static.

Have any of you read recent statistics on whether flashing banners get more attention over static ones?

It seems obvious that a person will look at a flashing banner because it's actually flashing a message, but in this round of banner image creation, I'm trying to make good choices as to how many banners will flash and how many will not.

If you were contracting a graphic artist today, would you make more banners flash or static or half of each?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Shirley

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    All depends on what you mean by 'Flashing'...

If, by "Flashing", you mean "animated" (tastefully done) then they can actually draw attention over a static banner.

Most affiliates want multiple choices to better match their site and the content on the page where the banner will be served.

K.I.S.S. is always the most safe.

BTW, while we serve banners, CTR is usually around 1/10 of 1%. MUCH lower than a good text link...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I HATE flashing banners. As Convergence says, a tastefully animated .gif can work.

I, too, find that text links and product images work far, far better than banners.

Did I mention that I hate flashing banners?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Flashing/animated banners have their place(s). But if you are going to use those, you should offer static versions too.

A network-wide stat for which ones get used more or clicked more is meaningless. Webmasters who know what they are doing will choose and use whichever ones are best for the spots they have to put them in. The more you offer, the more placements and exposure you will get in the long run.
    Last edited by davidh; May 3rd, 2011 at 01:36 PM.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

5. Thanks From:

I appreciate and value each of your opinions about this.

It would have been better for me to understand the meaning of "flashing" before typing that word. You probably have an idea that I didn't mean Atlantic City or Vegas-type imagery, but you don't really know unless I specify exactly what I mean.

There are banners here on ABW that are in the tasteful category with words that change within the banner to educate and inform. That's what I meant by "flashing," but it's obvious that such a banner doesn't actually flash. The banners here are probably in the animated .gif category that you, Bill, mention (please let me know if I'm wrong).

Convergence, when you mention the text link (and I appreciate you bringing this and the stat to light), a text link, to me, is one that appears underlined within the body of an article whether on a website or blog. Is that the way affiliate text links are best used, or are there other ways of text linking I may be overlooking?

With appreciation to all,

Shirley

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SGFrazier View Post
    Convergence, when you mention the text link (and I appreciate you bringing this and the stat to light), a text link, to me, is one that appears underlined within the body of an article whether on a website or blog. Is that the way affiliate text links are best used, or are there other ways of text linking I may be overlooking?
    Yes, it can be underlined, bold, italic, or different color - anything to identify it is a link.

Most affiliates incorporate text links into their content. May or may not be the text from the creative offered by the merchant...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Yes, banners get very few clicks, but if you have a product page with a lot of that merchant's items, it helps brand recognition. I also use at least one text link under the banner, sometimes more, e.g., links to specific categories.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

9. Thanks From:

JoyUnltd,

I'm so glad you reminded me about placing text links under banners. I have that on my own sites and blogs yet took them for granted, or rather, forgot that such text linking is what I'm to suggest to my own affiliates.

Much thanks,

Shirley

Text links to categories or Departments are useful for articles, I don't know how many I have had to build myself when it would seem a logical thing to offer links to. On product pages it makes sense to link to a specific products but when an article covers a broad topic, it is a reasonable place for a category link.

Quote Originally Posted by SGFrazier View Post
    I'm so glad you reminded me about placing text links under banners. I have that on my own sites and blogs yet took them for granted, or rather, forgot that such text linking is what I'm to suggest to my own affiliates.
    Also including a descriptive sentence can also be useful along with a text link beneath a banner.

As I use PopShops, I include vendors' names in the product pages, which are usually mixed merchants. A banner helps "give a face" to a merchant, even if it isn't clicked on. I've noticed in several cases, clicks/conversions increased for a merchant on a product page when I also placed one of their banners on a page.

It's always experiment & see what works.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    2-3 frame animated banners with the last frame a call to action. Make the message clear and use direct language on the call to action. If affiliates want static banners they will ask.

14. Thanks From:

Thank you all so much for your feedback and comments about this very-important project. I have a better understanding about how to proceed as I develop banners and educate my affiliates on including text links.

With appreciation,

Shirley

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread