Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Management Tools
    As affiliates start to trickle in and join my program, I get an idea of their traffic by using alexa traffic rating. Is this a reliable source any of you other people use? Are their any other tools anyone could share with us all?

The reason I use Alexa is to identify their websites main audience. As our company is big on SEO, we have a 9,767 Traffic Rank in USA after going "Live" in early April. Whoohoo!

I think you should explore hiring a professional OPM right away. Just a gut feeling.

Please explain your feelings.

I can't. It's just that, a gut feeling that for you to succeed with your visible business model, you'll be needing professional help. On a side note, I think I'm growing a rep around here of being too blunt. I'll be quiet now.

Sometimes "blunt" is good. People need to hear things - before they get led too far astray.

With that said, I get the same feeling as justnet. The fact that you say you are relying on Alexa (which can be manipulated and is an old mode of checking sites) leads me to believe the services of an OPM could be beneficial.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

So quick to be blunt and honest..I see you have a developing forum ego here.. can you please shed some light on my visible business model?

If you are insisting something is wrong, could be improved on, added, missing.. anything at all please give constructive feedback, it would be highly appreciated. Although this post was meant to share tools or other resources, I don't mind going off topic slightly.

OK, here's a tool: Compete.com - nice for seeing an estimate of traffic.

BTW - What's a "a developing forum ego?"

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    The fact that you say you are relying on Alexa (which can be manipulated and is an old mode of checking sites) leads me to believe the services of an OPM could be beneficial.
    I use Alexa yes, it suites my needs on finding out how much traffic an affiliates website gets. It's probably the most basic tool out their for estimating traffic.

Compete looks interesting..
    Most likely something I would stay away from though.

To my mind your whole business model seems weak and unsustainable for the long term.

Your recitals in your program description are way too full of recitals.

You seem to have fallen for the Alexa myth. Although such impressive stats in under 60 days could suggest manipulation on your team's part.

I feel like I'm looking at a relatively talented team burning through some angel investor money.

It would be better if you let me stop now. These threads do get indexed by Google and if we continue in this direction this one will come up for some awkward searches. I guarantee it. (please do not PM me)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

BTW - What's a "a developing forum ego?"

Quote Originally Posted by justnet View Post
    On a side note, I think I'm growing a rep around here of being too blunt.
    His growing(Developing) rep(Ego) of being too blunt, I presumed.

It's probably the most basic tool out their for estimating traffic.
    Basic? Out dated is more like it. Because it can be manipulated it often is. It suits the needs of delivering numbers. If you need accuracy that's a different matter altogether.

12. Thanks From:

To my mind your whole business model seems weak and unsustainable for the long term.
    Please go more in depth, why is it not suitable for a long run term? Our team has used a very generic business model for all our websites.

You seem to have fallen for the Alexa myth. Although such impressive stats in under 60 days could suggest manipulation on your team's part.
    My team here is very talented, we have been doing this since 2005. we are on the top of our dating "Niche" with a very strong customer base over several different dating platforms. Our team consists of 7 people. CEO & Founder, PR Director, Director of Internet Marketing(Me), Programmer, Project Manager / Design, 2 other Out Sourced Support Team Members

I feel like I'm looking at a relatively talented team burning through some angel investor money.
    Started by a M.I.T. Graduate, he has added us employee's over the years of growth. Our motivation derives from our shared profit plans.

It would be better if you let me stop now. These threads do get indexed by Google and if we continue in this direction this one will come up for some awkward searches. I guarantee it. (please do not PM me)
    Oh well, I am seeking constructive criticism on ABW. Not trying to start a heated argument over a thread.

If you can post with more explanations into your thoughts and give examples, that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by ak1lz View Post
    Oh well, I am seeking constructive criticism on ABW. Not trying to start a heated argument over a thread.

If you can post with more explanations into your thoughts and give examples, that would be great!
    I'd rather apologize for taking this thread so far off track. If you'd like a mod to remove it so you can start over, I won't mind. I'll even try to be quite next time.

Affiliate Manager OutdoorPlayToys's Avatar
    Alexa is a completely useless tools. I know sites that get NO traffic but still have a relatively low Alexa rank...and I know sites that get a lot of traffic and have a high Alexa rank. I have never used Alexa as a business tool and would highly discourage it if you are looking for real statistics.
    Jill Caren

16. Thanks From:

We need a veteran to jump in here with the new merchant suggested reading links. Especially the one about being careful who you decline.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorPlayToys View Post
    Alexa is a completely useless tools. I know sites that get NO traffic but still have a relatively low Alexa rank...and I know sites that get a lot of traffic and have a high Alexa rank. I have never used Alexa as a business tool and would highly discourage it if you are looking for real statistics.
    I use Alexa in many ways, can you positively identify Alexa as not being a use full tool? Other than not being reliable on reporting accurate traffic numbers? It's nice to hear feedback on Alexa. This is what I was looking for.

We need a veteran to jump in here with the new merchant suggested reading links. Especially the one about being careful who you decline.
    I don't base recruiting decisions on alexa rating, I simply gather info about the traffic affiliates would be sending.

As affiliates start to trickle in and join my program, I get an idea of their traffic by using alexa traffic rating. Is this a reliable source any of you other people use? Are their any other tools anyone could share with us all?

I would encourage some searches on questions to look at past discussions. I cringe when I see programs that rely on Alexa. I can spend a few bucks and jack my Alexa rating to whatever level I want. Alexa's numbers are gleaned from tracking of their toolbar so it only counts people with the bar installed, but it counts them very well. Go to Google (or Yahoo or Ask) and look for "improve my Alexa ranking". There are people who surf for a living.

20. Thanks From:

Interesting, sorry to gloat about our Alexa rating, but we have not manipulated it in any way. As Alexa states, while low traffic sites are harder to gauge accurately, once a site reaches a 100,000 or less ranking the accuracy of the measure increases. Hence if you can top a 10,000 AlexaRank, or even 1000, the credibility of that ranking is increased.

As we position in a 7k bracket, we received just shy of 500,000 visits for the month of April. Do you think Alexa has scaled our ranking accurately?

7k bracket
    9,000. Sorry

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Do you and your team use the Alexa toolbar?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Do you and your team use the Alexa toolbar?
    No we do not have the Alexa toolbar. I know where you are trying to go with that, but that would in no way affect our Alexa score at these levels.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorPlayToys View Post
    Alexa is a completely useless tools.
    Affiliate tip number 4,823: if you work with a merchant who respects Alexa and your site ranks above theirs in their niche, you can usually leverage one hell of a commission raise.

I don't use Alexa for anything else. It's definitely easy to 'game' the results and I seriously doubt it's accuracy even on the higher ranked sites. It could be used for a look at the sites demographics if not taken too seriously.

26. Thanks From:

No we do not have the Alexa toolbar. I know where you are trying to go with that, but that would in no way affect our Alexa score at these levels.
    You probably would be mistaken then. I asked if your teams use (have) an Alexa toolbar installed on their machines. I wasn't asking if you have an Alexa toolbar for users to download...
    Last edited by Convergence; May 5th, 2011 at 10:43 PM.

Outsourced Program Manager
    I use alexa for one reason only, to get the contact email adress for a website the easy way.

AS i am lead to beleive alexa only tracks traffic from people that have the alexa toolbar on their site ( correct me if i am wrong)
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

29. Thanks From:

The reason I use Alexa is to identify their websites main audience. As our company is big on SEO, we have a 9,767 Traffic Rank in USA after going "Live" in early April. Whoohoo!
    Bottom line, IMhO, is that merchants shouldn't use sites like Alexa. Why? What if affiliates block the Alexa bot (and compete.com for that matter)? These sites are mining other website's data for financial gain - some folks don't like that. End result - you may THINK an affiliate is not the right fit...
    Last edited by Convergence; May 5th, 2011 at 11:50 PM.

31. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast