Hello. Next month I want to get health insurance for myself for the next year. Does anybody have any recommendations. I applied for Blue Cross/Blue Shield but they denied me for some reason. I am 31 and am in pretty good health. I'm not sure why they denied me, but are there other good ones out there that I should be aware of, and ones that I should stay away from? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

While I'm not an expert I'll brain storm a little right now and throw out a few ideas that may help. One, if you recently left a job you have an option to continue coverage you had at that job for 18 months (COBRA). It's usually expensive though. Also, in some states insurance companies seem to have what's called "open enrollment" during certain times of the year where you can sign up without most of the hassles insurance companies would normally put you through.

You could also try your state health department or state insurance board (this may be difficult to find - you could always call your local state congressmen's office to have them help you figure out who to call.) to see if they can give you information on whether there are open enrollments in your state or if they can help you locate a provider.

You could also try your local chamber of commerce, or small business administration (SBA) office, maybe they have something like a group plan for small business owners.

Some years ago I bought an individual major medical policy. Had to have a physical, blood test, etc. It had a very high deductible, maybe $1000 or more. But I wasn't worried about the small stuff, just if something really expensive happened... so that could be an option as well. I found the insurance company by calling my auto insurance person. Not all that scientific I know, but it worked out OK for me at the time.
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

Welcome to the world of self-employment! You'll find that it's impossible to get the kind of coverage that companies offer without paying FAR MORE than what most employees have to pay.

Here's one I recommend avoiding: NASE's Mega Life and Health. Been there. Done that. Got ripped off.

Take a look at some of the new Health Savings Accounts. Basically, it's a high-deductible health insurance coupled with a savings plan. For instance, you might have a $5000 per family deductible plan that costs $200 per month. Your payments PLUS the amount you put into the savings plan are both tax deductible. For instance, if you pay $200 per month for the insurance and put $400 per month into savings, the full $600 per month is tax deductible. Then, as you have medical expenses, you just get reimbursed from the savings plan. Once you hit the deductible, you're covered 100%. You can also be reimbursed for certain non-covered expenses (laser eye surgery, having a kid, etc.) from the savings plan.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It is expensive that's for sure. The insurance I have through my day job costs my employer over $650 a month, of which I pay about 10%. It's a good deal for me, but the cost is just staggering when you think about it. I work for a very large organization, if that's the group rate, I'd hate to see the individual rate.
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

Thanks for the replys. I applied at a plan from humanaone (anyone heard of them) The plan I picked was 137 dollars per month. 500 dollar deductible. 25 dollar doctor visits. Plus 4 doctor visits per year that don't go to the deductible. Does this seem acceptable? I really do appreciate the help.

I am also looking into getting Health Insurance for the self employed. Does anyone belong to or heard of http://www.nase.org (National Association for the Self-Employed). I have heard that you can get a better price for Health Insurance through an Association/group.

Tami

Edited moments later:
    I guess I should of looked before I leaped! Looked up NASE in Google groups and found indifferent to unsatifactory results.

I wouldn't recommend NASE. Here's what I had to say about them earlier in the thread:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    Here's one I recommend avoiding: NASE's Mega Life and Health. Been there. Done that. Got ripped off. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>My problem wasn't as bad as most, but it was extremely frustrating. When the agent signed me up, she said that if you pay a year in advance, you only had to pay for 11 months and you got the 12th month free. I paid for 11 months up front. Underwriting increased the rate. I sent in a check for the increase. They applied my original check as 9 or 10 months worth of insurance and issued a refund for a partial month. I sent a check back for the refund. Between my three checks, I had paid for 11 months. After 11 months, they told me that I hadn't paid all at once so I wouldn't get the 12th month free. They wouldn't budge. I found another insurance company. I'll never have anything to do with NASE or Mega Life and Health again.

I've heard of many people who had serious out of pocket medical expenses because of inadequate coverage. There are some serious gaps in the coverage they offer.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I get my health insurance thru my local chamber of commerce. Its considerably cheaper than if I had to attempt to gain it on my own. I also was given alot of options for which insurance I wanted - they offer Preferred Care & Blue Cross & Blue Shield and tons of different plans.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread