Drupal 7 AvantLink Module Started
    I have a good start on a Drupal 7 module named AvantLinker as seen here: It should have the same functionality as the one the AvantLink team built for WordPress. The ALE and the Product Search are done.

I know there are not that many Drupal users here, but still hope in the end a few will find it useful.

I also have an Install Profile in the works there, but the packaging system has a bug at Drupal.org. It will give a quick installation with my favorite modules all installed and configured. The AvantLinker module will be included in that also. The whole thing should give any AvantLink affiliates a quick and easy way to get a quick Drupal 7 site up.

Wow, I'm impressed! Haven't tried Drupal anywhere, maybe someday..

Question
    Drupal requires special hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ View Post
    Drupal requires special hosting?
    Not really but you wouldn't want to have sub-par shared. I have VPS with no problem, but will dig into it to make sure and post back.

Here are the Drupal system requirements.
    Last edited by John Powell; May 7th, 2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Added Link

I released AvantLinker 7.x-1.0-beta1 tonight for the latest Drupal 7.2. It does all the same things as the WordPress plugin.

I have my Installation Profile almost ready but they still have a glitch in the packaging system at drupal.org. I could set up a .tar for download if someone would PM an interest. It really makes it easy to give it a try on a XAMPP local testing server.

6. Thanks From:

Demo site for the AvantLinker module is live. I have one promotion page showing all the tools in action.

8. Thanks From:

That looks interesting. I think I will go to Bitnami and try a stack install with Drupal. Their Mamp and WP stacks work great for setting up a theme. Unfortunatey with the 12 spare minutes a day that I have to try it out it may be awhile before I get up to speed enough to try out your offer. Thank you for building it and putting it here.

That looks interesting. I think I will go to Bitnami and try a stack install with Drupal.
    Check with me before you do that and my Install Profile might be ready. Putting the profile on a local XAMPP might be easier as it's got a lot of the configuration already done for AvantLinker and other modules that affiliates need.

The problem is that Drupal.org has the packaging for profiles broken right now. I could let you pull a .tar off my server though.

If I use your .tar it can be installed on a Mamp server? I was planning to get the install package from Bitnami as a stack, all in one install. They have WP, Joomla and Drupal and many others that install ready to run in about 2 minutes. I have XP and win7 on my imac but I don't dare try to install xampp via parallels, it is not the same as regular windows and presents a "sort of like" solution. Mamp runs the same as on a Linux server and gives a true environment. I sure do appreciate the AvantLinker work you've done!

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    If I use your .tar it can be installed on a Mamp server?
    I went to this Mamp screenshot and it looks like you would have to go with the pro because of the memory limit. Don't know why it wouldn't be easy to adjust php.ini with the regular version. It's just a file to edit.

I would give the regular Mamp a try. It would be quick and easy to get rid of if it doesn't work. The thing about the stack with Drupal is that you may spend some time hunting and installing modules, but that might be part of the learning experience too.

I read up on install profiles and it looks like a real time saver. I know I am probably years away from being comfortable with using Drupal, but it has some interesting community type features that have been sort of rolling back and forth in my head for awhile.

I'll need to look at what the settings are on my current install, it should be adjustable in php.ini like you suggest. The stack install I was looking at is here: BitNami :: Drupal and they offer free installs for Windows, Linux or Mac. I already have one plain Mamp install so I could get their Drupal 7.2 install for under 10Mb. but I really prefer to install the whole package they offer because everything is all set up to work right magically.

The stack install I was looking at is here: BitNami :: Drupal and they offer free installs for Windows, Linux or Mac.
    OK I installed that and it was easy as you said. It is the "Standard" Drupal 7 install with no Profile added by BitNami.

I missed these features of XAMPP:

• No FileZilla server which is handy for me as I'm used to operating out of my FileZilla ftp client.
    • No Mercury mail service installed so I can test email related stuff.
    • No readily accessible link to Windows Explore so I can dig through my Drupal files quickly.

I'll probably uninstall it as don't really need it with my other stuff, but it was real interesting learning what it was all about.

I know you have different considerations being in the Mac world, but I would still try my Profile first on your Mamp. You can always BitNami after that if you want.

For those missing features, I just set up my desktop Filezilla for ftp locally, use Mac Finder for W-Explore and never gave a thought to email stuff although they do have one that others use.

I'll try your profile first before I do anything else if it has all that is needed? Do I not need the Drupal package with the Profile - does it include the Drupal with it? If that's the case I will try to move along with that sooner. I have a plain Mamp and one with WP, I would use the one with all default settings only, but I do need to look at the memory limits you mentioned. Thanks again John, very helpful!

I'll try your profile first before I do anything else if it has all that is needed? Do I not need the Drupal package with the Profile - does it include the Drupal with it?
    Yes the latest version of Drupal is included in the package. The good news is that the packaging problem appears to be almost fixed. It had been so long since I released that my version for Drupal was 7.0 and it choked. I have reset it for 7.2 and now anxiously await the re-run of the packaging script.

17. Thanks From:

Packaging is working for the Profile now in case someone want's to try it.

I'll contact the GF site no later than Monday for that profile install file, thank you. It may be a week before have any time to really work on it, but I want to get it early in the week to install in case I need to bug you about it. Can't wait to try it.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread