Affiliate Manager Government Auctions AM's Avatar
    One Merchant on Three networks?
    I am a merchant and I would like to offer my affiliate program on three different affiliate networks.

The reason for three networks is that I want to provide a wider reach for affiliates and give affiliates the opportunity to choose a commission structure that would suite their needs, so that they can reach their goals in the way that they envision them. (diff commission structure on all three networks... essentially a combination of per lead, per sale and recurring) I feel that giving affiliates this opportunity to choose is fair, especially because I would be running the same contests and give out bonuses accordingly on all three networks. In addition, content, creative links, data feeds etc are also all the same everywhere.

Are my views flawed? Can certain conflicts arise, that I am not thinking about? I want to make sure that I cover all bases and would appreciate any opinions. Thanks in advance!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Not all affiliates WILL work with all networks...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Affiliate Manager Government Auctions AM's Avatar
    You mean they will not work because the merchant is on more than one network or they just have preference for specific networks?

In that case, wouldn't giving the choice of three different networks work out well?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YDolgih View Post
    You mean they will not work because the merchant is on more than one network or they just have preference for specific networks?
    Yes to both.

Quote Originally Posted by YDolgih View Post
    In that case, wouldn't giving the choice of three different networks work out well?
    Not if you have a commission structure that is specific to a network the affiliate does not want to work with.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    You will need to program your site to recognize which network is bring you the traffic.
    Otherwise you may end up crediting the sale up to 3 times.

Even then, some affiliate will not work with you.

6. Thanks From:

If there is a choice of merchants offering the same products I much prefer to work with a single network merchant. Different networks have different standards and tricks not allowed in Network "A" may very well be allowed in Network "B". I avoid merchants on a certain network for example because of the network terms that could permit unethical affiliate behavior.

If you decide to go that way, your costs can be much higher and you may frequently see dual referrers for the same sale. It requires custom coding to prevent dual commissions. Do a search here for "multiple networks" and read the many discussions to get a good picture. It is a common question.

I would much rather work with a merchant who exclusively uses one of the "clean" affiliate networks that prohibits parasites and other bad behavior.

When a merchant works on multiple networks and sets up their tracking to only track to one of those networks, it enables parasites on one network to steal commissions from affiliates on the clean network. When that happens, I lose many of the advantages of working with the clean networks. (I still work with them anyway, for a multitude of other reasons.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager
    I have to agree with all the above feed back. The program I run is in multiple networks. When it was small it was easy to manage. However now that it is much larger, it has become increasingly cumbersome to run a clean parasite free program. Because of that we are consolidating our programs. So my advice would be to go with one of the clean networks that offers the most transparency to both the publisher and the merchant. Believe me.... it's not worth the headache you will have to deal with in the end.

Good luck.

Outsourced Program Manager - Parenting Niche hermedia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    If there is a choice of merchants offering the same products I much prefer to work with a single network merchant. Different networks have different standards and tricks not allowed in Network "A" may very well be allowed in Network "B". I avoid merchants on a certain network for example because of the network terms that could permit unethical affiliate behavior.

If you decide to go that way, your costs can be much higher and you may frequently see dual referrers for the same sale. It requires custom coding to prevent dual commissions. Do a search here for "multiple networks" and read the many discussions to get a good picture. It is a common question.

The only exception (for me), would maybe be bringing in a new network within a a specific affiliate geographical location. For example if you can offer a unique site for UK customers - consider running with buy.at as a second network.

I have experience with a program running on two networks and it causes some confusion for affiliates.

Another thought
    . Rather then spending the extra costs of fees and management costs of properly managed programs on multiple networks, consider investing that back into rewarding your affiliates on one good clean network

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread