VPS Selection Question
    All,

Hi! I am an avid ABW user - I can't tell you how much I've learned from all of you.

I have a multitude of mini-sites.... I am dabbling in a variety of niches - trying to see what works and what doesn't. I've just been rudely notified by my host that I have exceeded CPU usage and my account has been suspended.

So now I am in search of a VPS - no more shared hosting for me - I have obviously exceeded what that can offer me.

How do I go about figuring out how much bandwidth and ram I will need? I was booted for exceeding cpu usage by a % amount- but I don't know how to calculate my needs.

I need to be careful with my money (who doesn't), so want to buy as much as I need, without overspending.

Once I become a super affiliate - then I can go hog wild. Till then, I will be pinching pennies.

I will most likely go with: WiredTree - the vps512 managed vps option.

I dread migrating over - and just want to do this once. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; May 18th, 2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Removed link

I had a VPS with WiredTree for almost two years. They are very good. They gave excellent customer support.

BUT -- They went through a bumpy patch for a few weeks and battled a fair amount of down time. Hopefully those issues are resolved, but you might want to use the "Search" here for a couple of discussion threads about WiredTree.

I currently have a very similar and slightly cheaper VPS with KnownHost.com, another excellent VPS company. You may want to look at KnownHost before you commit to WiredTree. My current KnownHost VPS is so similar to my former WiredTree VPS that I honestly don't recall the differences right now. And I bought the KnownHost VPS using a discount I think they still have available which gives me something like $14-$18 a month in savings over the Wired Tree VPS price.

I recommend the webhostingtalk.com forums as an excellent place to find good reviews and special offers on VPS accounts. (I think the same company which owns ABW also owns webhostingtalk.com.)

If you do check webhostingtalk.com and want to find the discount price on KnownHost.com VPS accounts, do a search of the "Web Hosting Offers >> VPS Hosting Offers" sub-forum and you can probably find a discount on a KnownHost VPS. (In fact, I think they also have a discount offer there for WiredTree.com VPS accounts.)

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by iluvchocolate View Post
    All,

Hi! I am an avid ABW user - I can't tell you how much I've learned from all of you.

I have a multitude of mini-sites.... I am dabbling in a variety of niches - trying to see what works and what doesn't. I've just been rudely notified by my host that I have exceeded CPU usage and my account has been suspended.

So now I am in search of a VPS - no more shared hosting for me - I have obviously exceeded what that can offer me.

How do I go about figuring out how much bandwidth and ram I will need? I was booted for exceeding cpu usage by a % amount- but I don't know how to calculate my needs.

I need to be careful with my money (who doesn't), so want to buy as much as I need, without overspending.

Once I become a super affiliate - then I can go hog wild. Till then, I will be pinching pennies.

I will most likely go with: Managed VPS | VPS Hosting | VPS Server | VPS Web Hosting | WiredTree - the vps512 managed vps option.

I dread migrating over - and just want to do this once. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Generate more fake news.

Gary/writerguy,
    Hi! Thanks for the info. I had actually read a thread here at ABW where you had recommended WiredTree as a VPS provider. That is how I heard about them. (I didn't realize how old the thread was though. I should have read it more carefully!)

I will go to webhostingtalk.com and read up about KnownHost.com. If it is reliable AND saves me a little money as well - then that sounds like it'll do the trick.

Thanks so much!

Gary/writerguy,
    Hi! Thanks for the info. I had actually read a thread here at ABW where you had recommended WiredTree as a VPS provider. That is how I heard about them. (I didn't realize how old the thread was though. I should have read it more carefully!)

I will go to webhostingtalk.com and read up about KnownHost.com. If it is reliable AND saves me a little money as well - then that sounds like it'll do the trick.

Thanks so much!
    Yeah, I really think WiredTree.com or KnownHost.com either would be good. I hung in there through some downtime with WT for quite awhile after others were having trouble, i.e., most notably here was the hassle John Powell went through. I sympathized with John's problems, then suddenly I got hit with the downtime over several days time -- and saw many others at webhostingtalk.com who were having the same problem.

That, plus a bit of monthly savings, finally convinced me to jump from WT to KH.

But I've not heard of any particular problems lately with WT. I dunno, really.

Hope you'll find some good info at webhostingtalk.com and make a good choice on your VPS!

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

I got a reseller server at HostGator (have had it for years) and put all my sites on it. It works great and I have never had any problems with it. That's what I would recommend you do. http://www.hostgator.com/
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; May 12th, 2011 at 08:20 AM.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Affiliate Manager OutdoorPlayToys's Avatar
    LOVE LOVE LOVE Liquid Web - I moved to them almost 2 years ago and most of my web design clients host with me on my VPS there and we have NEVER had a problem, no slow load times, no down time - NOTHING! And their service is stellar! (This is coming from someone who has been with at least 4 other hosting companies and have had problems everywhere!) :-)
    Jill Caren

Gary, BurgerBoy and OutdoorPlayToys,

Thanks so much for all the great advice. My head is spinning from all the options.

I will research each - then make a decision.

I appreciate the time you took to respond - I know there aren't enough hours in the day in this business - taking time out to help a fellow AM is sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!

Affiliate Manager OutdoorPlayToys's Avatar
    Good luck! Finding a good host is an IMPORTANT business decision - one most do not take seriously enough! :-)
    Jill Caren

All,

Just wanted to let you know that I selected a VPS host (Knownhost) and they quickly transferred my backup cpanel files from my old shared host to the new host.

Now I am a bit surprised at how much I didn't know was going on behind the scenes. The VPS admin panel is daunting. I am still trying to figure out what I need to do first.

Is there a good VPS for Dummies guide somewhere?

Knownhost has been very responsive to my questions - but I know I am being a pest to them. I don't mind digging in and doing things myself - I just don't know where to even start. To top it off - a few sites I transfered over welcome me with a splash page telling me I have been hacked!!!! So the first lesson I need to learn is VPS security.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by iluvchocolate; May 18th, 2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: many typos

... Knownhost has been very responsive to my questions - but I know I am being a pest to them. ...
    I know exactly how you feel. I was pretty "clueless" myself when it came to all the learning curve for handling a VPS.

But you should remember this -- you are paying KnownHost.com for a MANAGED VPS account, are you not? That means they are willing and able to help you whenever you need them.

Seriously, when I first started using a VPS account, I, too, felt 1) intimidated, and, 2) like I was a "pest" to the support people.

But they're very accustomed to us "pesky" people and more than willing to be bothered whenever you need them.

I don't know of a "VPS for Dummies" guide, but, yup, it would sure be useful.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Gary,

Yes - it is a managed VPS. They have very promptly answered questions, but I am getting a bit embarrassed by the number of questions I've asked in the past few days. Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one who has had a painful transition from shared hosting to VPS hosting.

It would almost be comical, if $$$$ were not involved.

Whichever you choose for web hosting, but make sure you get a VPS that is based on hardware virtualization type. In terms of performance and reliability it is very prominent solution than software virtualization.

i suggest

neosurge VPS
    linode
    elastihost

as far as i know,there are the companies offer reliable service and best after sales service.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread