Looking for Some Insight
    Hi all,

I decided to get into affiliate marketing about three weeks ago so I've built my site, signed up with a major affiliate two days ago and been approved by all of the vendors I wanted yesterday and am getting a good amount of click throughs today. (I actually already had vendors offer free products for me to review which I thought was cool and a nice unexpected perk) I own a website design firm and am familiar with SEO so the site has started to get some good organic traffic. I'm averaging 2 product reviews per day with quick specs, an in-depth review, pro's and con's, pro tips and professional photo sessions for each product. Many visitors are coming back every day to see the new reviews which I'm very stoked about with an average visit time of 7min 46sec. I'm not big into "shortcuts" and although this process is time consuming, I love the products so it's not much like work. At some point on here I'll give some step-by-steps as well as some of the cool tool's I found that have made my life easier but for now I'd appreciate some help with a few questions/concepts.

1. Allowing commenting or not - I'm torn on this one and I don't mind taking care of spam and answering questions but sometimes I feel user comments cheapen a website. I want to establish myself as a guru on the subject, not worry about people bickering. I was wondering what people on here recommend. I've even thought about programming a user review system so that rather than commenting, people would submit their own reviews and opinions of the products.

2. Multiple Affiliate Programs - My main affiliate is awesome and specializes in my product niche but there a few great products I own and would like to review that none of their merchants carry. Is there any down side to having multiple affiliate programs on one site if it looks seamless for the visitors?

3. Articles - I love to write and I've written articles for other e-magazine sites in the past but I was wondering what the good word was these days on the topic. Is it better to write e-articles and only submit them to article sites and keep the content of those articles off your actual site to avoid content duplication penalties by Google?

4. Review Format - I have the site programmed so that after my review there are 5 or more price comparisons of that product from merchants on my affiliate network sorted by lowest. Is the best technique to get a visitor to "Click While the iron is hot" to offer a coupon/sale/incentive below/above the product listings or is there a better way?

Thanks all for your insights and I'm very new here so I hope I posted this in the correct category. If anyone has any questions for me, I'm happy to help as well.

Nate

Quote Originally Posted by nate3445 View Post
    Hi all,

1. Allowing commenting or not - I'm torn on this one and I don't mind taking care of spam and answering questions but sometimes I feel user comments cheapen a website. I want to establish myself as a guru on the subject, not worry about people bickering. I was wondering what people on here recommend. I've even thought about programming a user review system so that rather than commenting, people would submit their own reviews and opinions of the products.

3. Articles - I love to write and I've written articles for other e-magazine sites in the past but I was wondering what the good word was these days on the topic. Is it better to write e-articles and only submit them to article sites and keep the content of those articles off your actual site to avoid content duplication penalties by Google?

Nate
    Despite all your best efforts there will always be some "clever dick" who will post spam or trash and it is impossible to monitor the comments 24 hours a day so cleaning up is often retrospective. The plus side is you can build up a loyal following who will become buyers.

"You pays yer money and takes yer choice" as they say

As for articles I believe that they have lost some of their potency recently, certainly the viewings of my Ezine Articles has dropped off,

Best of Luck

You should keep your original articles on your own site and if you wish to contribute to ezines, create a different version with links embedded to your site. Two reasons:

people go to ezine sites and rip off articles, removing the links and then slaughtering the content with a 'spinner' that often renders them almost humorous. You don't want to have those scraped and creamed articles too close to your original.

Article marketing has fallen from the favor of the gods recently so while it can help somewhat with traffic, it isn't as wonderful a tool as it was a year ago.

One other suggestion; it is common to see new affiliates refer to the programs they are affiliated with as their affiliates, but it is confusing to most readers here because it sounds as if you are the merchant and your affiliates have signed up to promote your programs. Merchants have programs on networks offering commissions to their affiliates and affiliates sign up through the network to promote merchants. Some networks confuse it further by referring to merchants as advertisers and affiliates as publishers. If you are making sales for a commission, you are the affiliate. I hope that was more helpful than confusing.

I think keeping the original articles in your main site is the best idea. after that you can easily submit those articles in the article directories. you will get a link back to your own site too. of course you can use different networks ads in your site but they should look different from each other. people shouldn't get confused by seeing them. its the only restriction i think.

1. Allowing commenting or not - Letting people comment has helped me build content for my site. Sometimes the user comments can be more valuable than the originally written content. I've found that directing comments by asking questions has helped curb the whining.

2. Multiple Affiliate Programs - A definite must. Don't rely on one merchant. Diversity is a must.

3. Articles - Google does a good job of figuring out who the article belongs to. Quality content on your site has become the most important factor in ranking. I typically post it on my site then wait a few weeks before submitting it elsewhere.

4. Review Format - I like to get them to click while they are motivated. I have other pages that rank well for coupons that they will find if they are going to look for those.

Good luck.

Thanks All
    Thanks everyone for your answers and the real world examples Caleb. I actually did get signed up with the specific merchant I was referring to (only sells this one type of product) and it brought up another question.

This new merchant's program uses my domain name to identify a sale so I can direct link to their products. The main network I'm with puts their name into the URL with all the necessary variable junk.

My question is if anyone has done a side-by-side comparison or study to see if buyers are more likely to click on a direct link rather than a link that blatantly looks like an affiliate link?

(2Busy - hopefully I got my terminology correct this time )

Nate

People in this industry are very conscious of affiliate links but actual shoppers don't seem to be bothered by all the baggage in affiliate links. You can cloak links to be whatever you want, but on sites where I have done this I do not see that the conversion rates are higher. I have pretty much reverted all the links to plain ugly affiliate links because I did not note any reason to hide them. If you are selling to geeks or affiliates, you might think about cloaking though if it makes you feel better.

Yes, it was easy to see what you meant this time.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread