Rejected by a merchant
    Don't take no for an answer. This happen to me for the second time just today. Affiliate status declined, with a blank message. Sending back a simple "why" with my phone number got me a call saying that there has been a mistake. Challenge them, ask them to explain. What's the worst that can happen, you already think you've been rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by justnet View Post
    Don't take no for an answer. This happen to me for the second time just today. Affiliate status declined, with a blank message. Sending back a simple "why" with my phone number got me a call saying that there has been a mistake. Challenge them, ask them to explain. What's the worst that can happen, you already think you've been rejected.
    Unless you are Retailmenot. They challenged me today and I told them what I thought of them. At least they know now...
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

3. Thanks From:

Most of my contributions are meant for the newer affiliates with the occasional nudge to the newer merchants.

Retailmenot looks like an OPM's nightmare.

I need a shower now.
    Last edited by justnet; May 11th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Great suggestion! It's easy to just get our feelings hurt and move on, but many times if we contact a merchant/OPM, they'll reconsider.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

justnet is really RetailMeNot? Wow, never would have guessed.

All our decline emails have an email and I think a phone number. usually when someone emails asking I tell them why and I end up with emails back and forth telling the affiliate why and they become a better affiliate.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

15 years and counting
    Why not consider that rejection as a blessing?
    I used to be hurt by such email. Not anymore.
    If you're sure of the quality of your sites and that you can drive traffic to this merchant, it means they are clueless. Move on, look for an other merchant.
    You know you'll have problems with a clueless merchant sooner or later. Sooner is better.

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    If you're sure of the quality of your sites and that you can drive traffic to this merchant, it means they are clueless. Move on, look for an other merchant.
    You know you'll have problems with a clueless merchant sooner or later. Sooner is better.
    I like to give the merchant the chance to tell me that my "test site" in my profile doesn't match the theme of their business. I then tell them that they might want to reconsider since they really don't yet know my plans to promote them. BTW, the first test of the test site is to see if they reject me with out a phone call.

I like to give the merchant the chance to tell me that my "test site" in my profile doesn't match the theme of their business. I then tell them that they might want to reconsider since they really don't yet know my plans to promote them. BTW, the first test of the test site is to see if they reject me with out a phone call.
    When you apply to a program, shouldn't you include details on how you plan to promote a merchants product's or website anyways?

Or you just completely skip that step for reasons I know and will keep to myself.

Affiliates and merchants shouldn't be so harsh towards one another, I mean you both are here to make money and do business with each other. Great partners make great business.

Quote Originally Posted by ak1lz View Post
    When you apply to a program, shouldn't you include details on how you plan to promote a merchants product's or website anyways?
    Often I don't know how I plan to promote a merchant until we have spoken. Or if I even will promote them.

There are almost always questions I need answered before I start. Often questions about terms or their sales performance that they would rather not see in writing much less their responses.

When I click the "apply" button in my mind I am NOT applying. I am opening the door to start the relationship. After we have communicated, usually by phone we both can make an informed decision as to if we will partner.
    Or you just completely skip that step for reasons I know and will keep to myself.
    I know I recognize your screen name from here. Have we ever spoken? If I remember right you had that "rent a date" deal?
    Affiliates and merchants shouldn't be so harsh towards one another, I mean you both are here to make money and do business with each other. Great partners make great business.
    ok, I guess so
    My merchants and OPM's know that I'm direct (very direct) but not mean.
    I would hope fair and honest.

Affiliate Manager Government Auctions AM's Avatar
    It is worth a shot to ask why. From my experience I have helped declined affiliates actually evolve into profitable entities. It is great to see that!

Sometimes a lot of newbies just don't know how to represent themselves correctly in the application. Everyone deserves a second shot in my book!
    Steven Shnayder
    [B][URL="http://www.governmentauctions.org"]GovernmentAuctions.org®[/URL][/B]
    Join us on [URL="https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2932365"]CJ[/URL] [URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10834"]SAS[/URL] [URL="http://www.governmentauctions.org/home/partners.asp"]ClickBank[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/GAORGAFFILIATES"]@GAorgAffiliates[/URL]

The original point was simply don't take the first no for an answer.

At least ask why.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread