newbie trying to understand parasites/rebate sites
    Hi everyone, I posted this on the parasite forum, but it doesn't look like there is much action over there, so I'm hoping some seasoned pros can help out.

I am a newbie but have been researching IM and SEO for awhile and narrowed my site ideas down to two that both where travel related. I narrowed potential affiliate programs down to 6-8, but recently read more information about rebate sites (big crumbs, ebates, etc) that has me concerned.

Is it true that even if my site drives a customer to affiliate x's site that they spend time/decide to buy on, I will recieve no commission if they then close the site and go into ebates, for example, to book their travel and get a rebate? If so, I see this as a big problem because of the number of rebate sites these days and the frequency of reminder e-mails/tweets/facebook posts, etc. they send out.

Even if parasite software is no longer available to be installed, it seems like customers would make these sites a habit, especially after they cash a few checks. Just today, I recieved an e-mail from a rebate sight that had ALL of the major travel affiliate sites I was interested in using listed with rebates of 3-12%. In this economy, many people would find that attractive enough to use, especially on high cost travel purchases. I'm sure this applies to many niches...Amazon is on most of the rebates sites. For high ticket items, won't these sites take away alot of business?

Am I even understanding this correctly, and if so, is there any way around it other that avoiding merchants that partner with these rebate sites? In my case, that would eliminate all of the large "reputable" travel companies. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like this is a rapidly growing issue, yet most of the posts I find related to it are more than a few years old. Let's get some relevant information going. Thanks for any informative advice!

Go back to that forum and start reading here: OneCause - Is Linkshare a parasite now? - Page 42 - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum
    Scroll down to #1046 and you can see where it stands and why.

BTW -It is easier to have others understand your meaning if you learn the common terminology. You are the affiliate, you are probably an affiliate of more than one merchant. You promote products or programs for merchants; Your site sends traffic to your merchants.

Thanks, that is disturbing that the Merchant's either don't know or don't care about what is going on. I find it hard to believe that some of those huge $$$ companies with top notch marketing depts. don't understand. (Expedia for example)!

It looks like they are mainly talking about software and toolbars in that thread. I'm thinking even without those downloads, just the pure avalanche of reminder e-mails, tweets, etc. is enough for a buyer to use a site for decision making, close it, and then go purchase at a rebate site to get their cash back. The rebate sites seem to be doing more marketing than ever. Are there any recent studies on how much $ they are averting from the "little guys". Any suggestions on ways around this?

You can do what most of us do: avoid working with merchants that partner with them. If you are interested in the travel vertical, partner with intelligent merchants and aim for smaller niches of the travel market. There are many travel related merchants that do police their programs and convert quite nicely. It is more likely to be successful if your site shows up in a search for "Tahiti summer travel for schoolteachers" or "hiking in western Australia" than if you try to rank against Expedia or Hotwire for "airline tickets".

Thanks, my niche is very specific, it's just that I've read a lot of advice for new publishers to start out using affiliate programs of the "big players" in your industry until you get more experience. But if all of the big guys are on rebate sites, I don't want to play with them!!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread