Need help with Multi-Tiered web site...
    I am in need of help with a multi-tiered website that I am developing for a client. The web site is: gettvoffers.com. The issue is that I am trying to build out the tiers individually because I would like to have all files eventually within the same directory. Is this possible? If you go to the web site you will see that I have made it work to the County-tire level, but when I use the same template to create a city-tiered level, what happens is that some of the records get removed and all of the cities are not included within the section of the page where all of the list of cities should appear at the bottom of the page.

I sent the DB, template file and WM file to the support email, but have not heard back, and it has been over a week. PLEASE HELP. I have the source files attached if anyone would like to see what I have going.

Thanks,
    Robert Lopez
    Last edited by 2busy; May 14th, 2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Removed Link

Sometimes it takes some time to hear back, I'll send a PM to let him know you need help, if he's got alerts turned on he'll get the message - unless he's off somewhere on vacation.

Affiliate Manager
    Thank you for writing, Robert. The first email I have from you came in at 4:22PM on the 11th, and your follow-up arrived here last night at 8:38PM. Sorry I hadn't replied sooner.

I got the files you sent (thanks for including those), but haven't yet finished working with them to get you a recommendation.

I'm in the office only briefly today (Saturday), and I try to avoid working on Sundays whenever possible (I think it's healthy for folks to take a day away from work each week).

So if you don't mind I'll finish working with your files on Monday and will reply to your email then.

Thank you for your patience, and I look forward to working with you to resolve the issue you encountered as quickly as possible.

Have a great weekend.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Affiliate Manager
    Looking over the files you sent, it seems that all you need to do to include all of the cities for each county is to turn on the Sort option in the Sources tab, set to sort by County_name.

This is explained in detail in the WebMerge Help page on the Source tab, in a section at the bottom titled "Sorting Your Data". In brief, sorting by County_name will group all of the cities that belong on the same page together. If not sorted by county, WM will process all records in sequence until the county changes, then close that page and start a new one; if the records aren't sorted it may encounter another instance of a county it had already processed, and create a new page, overwriting the old once.

Give this a try and let me know if it doesn't solve it.
    Richard Gaskin

ABW Ambassador
    I finally resolved a similar issue this morning by adding Webmerge to Windows 7 firewall as an allowed program. Windows wasn't allowing Webmerge to overwrite the files that it created in the first sweep.

Maybe that will help?

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the suggestion, WebLady. I wasn't aware that the Win f7 firewall would prevent running a program that has already installed with admin permissions, but it's very helpful to know that and I'll keep it in mind with future support requests.

In this case, however, it looks like a simpler sorting issue. Working with the most recent files he sent, all I had to do was set the page break and page name sections in the Index tab to match the field used for sorting in the Sources tab, and now I'm able to generate the index pages with all of the records listed as expected.

In fact, in practice it seems relatively rare that all three of those settings would not use the same field, so I'm exploring ways that I can have those preset by default in a future version of the program to make this a little easier. I need to do this carefully, though, given the variety of ways people use WebMerge, but I think I have a new interface in mind which will simplify that without sacrificing flexibility.
    Richard Gaskin

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread