Shopping carts
    I have a few questions about shopping carts I'm curious about,being new to affiliate marketing.I was recently given an example of an affiliates page by a friend about baby products online.I searched through the site and saw that instead of having a link to the product that directs the user to a completely different site in order to purchase it, the shopping cart allowed them to check out at that particular site without having to leave the site in order to purchase the product.

I always thought that affiliate marketers just provided a review and posted a link to the product and "persuaded" people to buy from that merchant through their own link.Does this still apply to the shopping cart situation described above? granted,a shopping cart looks very professional but I don't want to have to carry a bunch of products in the basement I don't have and have to mail them to a bunch of people all over the world every week.

I guess what I'm asking is how does the shopping cart scenario work? are these what they call "affiliate merchants"? how does it differ from your standard affiliate marketing?

That is a different kind of situation, usually it is drop shipping which is not affiliate marketing. If it isn't drop shipping, the site is liable to have some rather serious problems because it is illegal to sell things you don't own. Besides being in a mess for chargebacks, shipping damage, exchanges, return shipping etc. With a drop-ship situation they have an agreement spelled out in a contract so it is legal, just a different form of selling things.
    Some drop shippers have their own affiliate programs, there are a few on SAS and some are very good to work with. You would need to be sure about what the whole picture is there to know if it was one thing or the other. I would stand back and watch if it is something they are asking you to invest in.

No nothing they asked me to invest in personally,it just sort of struck a curiosity question.When he said it was an affiliate page of course I would jump at the chance of having my own store at the site,if I knew the in's and out's.

So let me get this right,if I wanted to sell some T-shirts by the bands that are in the genre related to my site then I would have to carry that product in a warehouse somewhere or in my own basement and ship it myself OR have a contract with the merchant specifying otherwise? way too much headache for either scenario just to have a little shopping cart in my opinion.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limpylegs View Post
    So let me get this right,if I wanted to sell some T-shirts by the bands that are in the genre related to my site then I would have to carry that product in a warehouse somewhere or in my own basement and ship it myself OR have a contract with the merchant specifying otherwise? way too much headache for either scenario just to have a little shopping cart in my opinion.
    Unless you want to be a merchant - which you obviously do not - FORGET all this shopping cart stuff, and concentrate on learning about real affiliate marketing, which you actually described fairly well in your first post.

Join merchant affiliate programs who offer the products you want to promote, write about them and place this content with affiliate links on your site, and forget about all this other stuff. No cart, no fuss, no muss.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I agree with AffiliateHound. It is a "one or the other" thing and not nearly as fun as it might look. There are merchants to handle the orders for your band T-shits and there are affiliate programs to help you profit from selling them without all that stock and shipping and customer service that goes with selling.
    Good luck!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limpylegs View Post
    I was recently given an example of an affiliates page by a friend about baby products online.I searched through the site and saw that instead of having a link to the product that directs the user to a completely different site in order to purchase it, the shopping cart allowed them to check out at that particular site without having to leave the site in order to purchase the product.
    I would have to ask you go back to that affiliate baby site, click on the "buy now" button and CAREFULLY compare the domain name before and after you click.

Only reason I bring this up is we have an affiliate baby site that is built on an ecommerce platform. Our "buy now" button does take you to the merchant's site. But to most of our visitors, its very subtle...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread