A Better Way to Join CJ Merchants
    So currently when you apply to a new CJ merchant, you're applying to the merchant for all your sites.

So if one of you sites isn't a good match, you might not be accepted. You can always contact the merchant after the fact but this is time consuming and there's no guarantee you will even receive a response.

A MUCH better way to join new CJ merchants is if you had the option of selecting your website(s), so the merchant can review your application with the correct information submitted.

What do you think?

Depending on how many of you respond and how you respond, I will contact CJ and recommend the change.

Thanks

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    So currently when you apply to a new CJ merchant, you're applying to the merchant for all your sites.

So if one of you sites isn't a good match, you might not be accepted. You can always contact the merchant after the fact but this is time consuming and there's no guarantee you will even receive a response.

A MUCH better way to join new CJ merchants is if you had the option of selecting your website(s), so the merchant can review your application with the correct information submitted.

What do you think?

Depending on how many of you respond and how you respond, I will contact CJ and recommend the change.

Thanks
    looking back, this [if] option might have made a difference. I'd vote for it.

this or at least a way to send the merchant a note with the app. don't think CJ has that do they?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    That system would seem to mean that you would only be accepted by each merchant for those sites that are submitted. But, if you are accepted for only certain sites for each merchant, whenever you build a new site you would have to re-apply or at least add the site* to each merchant program that you would want to have available to use on that new site. Also, if you expand an old site and need new merchants for new sections, you would also have to first take those steps. I know I may well forget about such things, and just add products, and the results could be lost commissions, or even being bounced from programs.

This could only work if while you only submit specific sites for approval, merchants agree you are in the program for all of your sites, present and future.

*If merchants are only given specific sites to evaluate, they likely would want the right to disapprove other sites, especially sites added and/or submitted in the future.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

5. Thanks From:
    kse

This is one of the things I like about CJ and hate about Linkshare. I don't have to apply for each one of my sites.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Affiliate Manager Government Auctions AM's Avatar
    It is time consuming for me to go through sites, which are completely irrelevant to our business, when I am manually approving affiliates, especially if there are over 20 of them! It would be a big help if the publisher right away listed, which site they would be using to promote our program.

In general, when applying to a program, I think it would be useful if the affiliated stated how and where they plan to promote. This would eliminate going back and forth when the merchant raises these questions.
    Steven Shnayder
    [B][URL="http://www.governmentauctions.org"]GovernmentAuctions.org[/URL][/B]
    Join us on [URL="https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2932365"]CJ[/URL] [URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10834"]SAS[/URL] [URL="http://www.governmentauctions.org/home/partners.asp"]ClickBank[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/GAORGAFFILIATES"]@GAorgAffiliates[/URL]

I get so many applications that have multiple sites. I usually look through the categories they are in. Even then, if I do not see a site in construction or Home and Garden, I usually will not decline a publisher. Sometime they are in the process of building just the kind of site I am looking for. If the sites seem really off, like a bridal site trying to sell my power tools, I will drop the publisher a note and ask them what their intentions are. One last thing, I am more likely to decline a site if there is no real name in the account managers email address. I would like to know that I am contacting a human.

Susan
    CPO Outlets.

Affiliate Manager Heather@Stacks's Avatar
    I personally want to see all the sites from a publisher. But it would be very helpful if they could highlight the one(s) they had in mind for my products.
    Last year I actually had the american nazi party apply to my program. Yeah, they had an affiliate site...
    but it was really important for me to see their "main" site in order to determine if I wanted them in my program at all (that was a big fat "no", by the way).

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    I like seeing all publishers sites but allowing them to post a note about which specific sites they will be using to promote our products and how they are going to do it would be ideal. It is a win-win solution imho, cutting an unnecessary step from the process and quickly accepting affiliates with clear value proposal.

Affiliate Manager
    From the publisher's perspective I understand that it's a pain to have to list each site, but as a merchant, nothing is more frustrating than having to guess where creatives will be used.

Also, as a publisher, I have sites that I target to a different demographics; some just Spanish and some just English. It's unrealistic for the merchant to have to guess where that content will end up.

I like the suggestion!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YDolgih View Post
    It would be a big help if the publisher right away listed, which site they would be using to promote our program.
    Recently we applied for a program on SAS. Even though the program was "Auto-Approve" we listed which sites we would use to market the merchant. We were declined anyway. Sent an email requesting why. Response was basically, your site in your profile doesn't meet our needs.

Merchant never bothered to read the sites listed in the application...

However, I do see benefits to the LS system where you can create separate accounts for each website. There are features on each network that I like - if only a network would combine the good features of the other networks.
    Last edited by Convergence; May 19th, 2011 at 04:04 PM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Affiliate Manager Government Auctions AM's Avatar
    I was just going through our applications on CJ, started experiencing frustration and remembered about this thread!

As a manager I would LOVE if applying affiliates were able to right off the bat fill out a few sentences about how they plan to promote the program they are applying to. Maybe list the website where the promotion would take place specifically in that area. I think this would make the process so much easier and faster for everyone. The manager would not need to sift through long lists of websites, especially those that are irrelevant to the merchant and the affiliate would not have to wait long for a reply.. especially if the manager is diligent about going through apps daily.
    Steven Shnayder
    [B][URL="http://www.governmentauctions.org"]GovernmentAuctions.org[/URL][/B]
    Join us on [URL="https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2932365"]CJ[/URL] [URL="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10834"]SAS[/URL] [URL="http://www.governmentauctions.org/home/partners.asp"]ClickBank[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/GAORGAFFILIATES"]@GAorgAffiliates[/URL]

I like being approved as an affiliate instead of one of my sites. Communication between program managers and publishers shouldn't be optional. Affiliate Networks should make communication mandatory.

Affiliate Manager Kush@VMInnovations's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post

OP did you by any chance reach out to CJ?

Soon, I will contact them and also direct them to this thread. If more people submit their opinions, hopefully CJ will see it.

There's no guarantee of course as they may not even respond to my recommendation.

I will let everyone no when I've contacted them and if I receive any feedback.

Outsourced Program Manager Paul Schroader's Avatar
    The biggest potential improvement I see coming from this discussion is the ability for Publishers and Merchants to communicate better during the application process. I think both sides want to know they're working with actual people who will help them build for success.

If there was a simple way to add a sentence or two during this process a lot of time and hassle could be avoided.

Sometimes a Publisher may want to convey something to a Merchant that they feel would be important when reviewing their application.

Sometimes a Merchant may want to say something to the effect of, "We declined your application because we simply could not make an informed decision based on what we see in your profile. Please feel free to contact us if we're missing something."

I made this feature request many years ago, but it was either ignored or fell into a black hole. I think it is in everyone's best interest to make the sign up process more efficient.
    Paul Schroader
    PS Web Solutions, Inc.
    Phone: 800.823.2602 | email: pauls at pswebsolutions.com | Y!: pswebdude

One of my favorite CJ features is the "don't bother me, I'm busy" feature. You know, the one that blocks a merchant's contact information once you've been declined by them which makes an appeal all that more interesting.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schroader View Post
    The biggest potential improvement I see coming from this discussion is the ability for Publishers and Merchants to communicate better during the application process. I think both sides want to know they're working with actual people who will help them build for success.

If there was a simple way to add a sentence or two during this process a lot of time and hassle could be avoided.

Sometimes a Publisher may want to convey something to a Merchant that they feel would be important when reviewing their application.

Sometimes a Merchant may want to say something to the effect of, "We declined your application because we simply could not make an informed decision based on what we see in your profile. Please feel free to contact us if we're missing something."

I made this feature request many years ago, but it was either ignored or fell into a black hole. I think it is in everyone's best interest to make the sign up process more efficient.
    Excellent Point!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Bibby by all means send this to CJ! I have always been miffed why networks tend to ignore user input. SAS offers this and is a great benefit.

While we are at it why can't merchants edit their rejection email template?

I submitted my recommendation to CJ. We'll see what happens. Paul, I also recommended a comment box that both affilaites and AM's can use during the application process.

I also, provided a link to this thread. So let's keep the conversation going. There has been some good feedback here.

So i contacted CJ to make a recommendation and received the following response:

Thank you for your suggestion. When you apply for an advertiser's program, the approval is for your overall account and not each individual site. When applying, the advertisers are able to see each and every web site that is listed on your account, therefore if you were to add any sites after your approval, you do not have to reapply for their program as your account has already been approved by the advertisers. There are some publishers with hundreds and sometimes, thousands of sites, having them select which site their advertiser would be reviewing would be a tedious application site. The overall approval for your account makes it easier for both publishers and advertisers to see all the sites and their descriptions you have listed onyour account.

We will forward your suggestion to the appropriate department so they may take this into consideration when creating future CJ Account Managers.

I replied with the following:
    The problem is if a merchant doesn't like one of my sites they will deny my application, even if all the other sites are acceptable. So I would be prevented from promoting the merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
    I've been asking CJ for YEARS to add a comments box that peole can put something in when they apply to a CJ merchant. THis would be especially useful for those CJ affiliates that have too many websites to actually list on the CJ interface.

But do they listen?

No, they dont.
    I am aware that this Thread is 1352 days old but I still want to make a reply.

Seems like CJ lacks of innovation.

As an affiliate I feel really pissed off that merchants automatically decline me and give no reason whatsoever!

And to make things even more unprofessional, CJ doesn't tell me in advance whether I am qualified for a program or not.

To apply for a program, I must show them a website with actual, unique content. So they expect me to create a fully functional website in advance, then apply for a program just to figure out that I get rejected automatically!

I guess they reject me because I don't have a track record. But how could I have a track record when they reject me? It is a catch-22.

So I have to contact each merchant and beg them to promote their services for free?

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread