Google Page Rank and DMOZ
    Hello,

I've been managing a site for a few months now and still have a zero pagerank. It's pretty frustrating, because the plan was to have a lock down on a few keywords.

One of my problems is DMOZ. I've submitted my url to all the major engines, but it seems that my site never gets etched in their directory. I just submitted for the third time (in about 8 months). I've never received anything in regards to it being declined and they say it may take a few weeks, but my experience suggests a lot more.

I do have affiliate links, but I would be more of a content publisher. Therefore, I do have valuable and unique content within my site.

How long does it take to get a page rank ( 1-10)?

From my understanding you don't get a page rank based on time, but rather on every other aspect of the web.

Some examples are your page upload speed, content, number of daily visitors(new and returning), number of countries that visit your site, the pr of sites linking back to you.

My advise to you would be not to worry about this now, focus on your SEO work, get the right backlinks, make sure your site complies to w3 standards etc...

Your pr ranking will show and if you work right will be good.

best of luck
    Jason Wolme
    Affiliate Manager
    medspartners.com

I've heard here and elsewhere that DMOZ has almost become a joke -- almost.

You might find this thread from last year concerning DMOZ of interest:

Dmoz - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

thanks... I figured something was off with this site. a few "experts" say that it's a must. Hopefully I can get this traffic up and finally attain some sales lol

Dmoz was great if you could get approved - some would have you believe that some crossing the palm with silver will help - it is speculated that some of the human editors will be able to escalate you for a few dollars!
    I have had a site pending approval for some time (not affiliate related) but i also seem to remember that affiliate site will not get approved no matter what!
    The last site i got into dmoz was linked to by hundreds of spammy/thin web sites that bought me no real benefit.
    I have not bothered with then for about 4 years but about 6 months ago i thought i would have a go at getting a site in there - i have no idea why given my past experiences but hey you have to try these things from time to time.I am also led to believe that PR is a waste of time also more of a vanity thing. So put your effort into your content.
    Good luck in your endeavors.

DMOZ seems to have gone into hibernation and I have read that being listed by them does not carry the gravitas it once did. I have been waiting about 6 months but have given up on them

About 10 years ago I submitted a site there and whoever they had review the site must have been using Lynx to view it because the official entry focused on one tiny item on the front page that I had shared. It was a little handcarved nametag a friend had given me. I tried for years to straighten it out because of all the RFQ I was getting for bulk wholesale nametags. grrrr. I don't submit there any more.

I once tried to get listed on DMOZ but stopped and replaced that effort with marketing directly to my audience. For me, the payoff is much better.

The same is true for me about page rank. I once read blog posts that lauded ranking updates and how one person expected a higher ranking than given because of the subjective popularity of his site.

My best site ranks a 4, but Google's ranking can't compare to the site's popularity (according to internal statistics) and growing revenue due to updated content and marketing of the same. I'll take that over a 10 ranking by a search engine any day.

Shirley

Quote Originally Posted by ewh View Post
    I am also led to believe that PR is a waste of time also more of a vanity thing. So put your effort into your content.
    Good luck in your endeavors.
    AGREED!! Focus on your content build your links carefully and the traffic will come.

Best of luck!
    Jason Wolme
    Affiliate Manager
    medspartners.com

A good rule of thumb is to submit to DMOZ and forget it.

Some editors over there make it a habit of only adding sites they find (or are bribed to find) and delete the submission queues without reviewing them. Other editors go through the submissions, slowly, they are only volunteers don'tcha know, and will eventually add quality sites. Build a quality site and an editor might find it and add it on their own.

It's a few minutes of your time, most of us waste more time online everyday than you will submitting to DMOZ. From everything I've read, a DMOZ listing isn't what it once was SEO-wise. You might waste your time or you might see a nice return - some categories are reputed to drive a nice amount of traffic to sites.

I would suggest that you find directories that focus on the niche you are working in and try to submit to those. Some send traffic as well as help with SERPs. General directories, like DMOZ, offer some boost but it's become more and more difficult to find ones actually worth submitting to. Do read their terms of service though, not all directories will accept affiliate sites that are weak on content. (I don't know what site you are talking about here, so please read no insult in that last bit.)

PR is another animal entirely. Chasing it is pretty much a waste of time. Unless you are going to sell links, which Google frowns upon anyway, PR is mostly just a number. That number is calculated based upon the PR of the sites that link to yours and how well your site's pages are inter-linked. Visible PR, what you can see, is only updated a few times a year. Sounds like you missed the last time - I think it was January or February. Keep doing what you're doing and PR will come.

PR and a listing in DMOZ are well and good but at the end of the day, it's the traffic your site gets that really matters.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread