Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    WebWatcher: Commision reduced from 30% to 5%
    I'm new to this but when a company reduces your commission from 30% to 5% makes me feel bad. Its a Parental Control Software program. Thats kind of a big cut.

Lightbulb
    That's a very big cut. So you get to decide whether to keep them or not.

ABW Ambassador
    The margins on software are very high.
    No reason they can't pay 50% > IMO

I would need to ask them why (while I look for a replacement).

I have to admit that I have not sold any of their software yet. As you all know I'm very new so I have not had to many sales yet. A little $1,000 worth of items.

Anyway I have most of the other Parental Control Software publishers lined up to sell. In working on peoples home networks I get questions on this so I'm starting to push it as a side market.

Are we allowed to mention names?

15 years and counting
    That's a typical case of "bait & switch".
    Most of the affiliates will keep their links to the merchant just because they don't check their emails or have no time to remove the links.

Are we allowed to mention names?
    If you have contacted the company and have received no response explaining such a change, why not? It is always best to communicate with your merchants before announcing to the world that they are cheats. We all come here to get information about the programs we work with so discussing a program is not a problem, but it is always best to get the facts and questions out of the way before making announcements that identify people or programs - it can keep you from making a misunderstanding into a mistake.

There aren't any rules here about mentioning merchants or their sites, just about linking to them.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Saw that yesterday as well. I declined their new offer and will let the old offer expire. Links have already been removed...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    If you have contacted the company and have received no response explaining such a change, why not? It is always best to communicate with your merchants before announcing to the world that they are cheats. We all come here to get information about the programs we work with so discussing a program is not a problem, but it is always best to get the facts and questions out of the way before making announcements that identify people or programs - it can keep you from making a misunderstanding into a mistake.
    Timing is everything. If a merchant doesn't care enough to explain in advance why such a dramatic decrease - I see no need to contact them. Enough affiliates will stop promoting them now or after they realize they only made 5% on their next sale.

It's a two way street...

If a merchant doesn't care enough to explain in advance why such a dramatic decrease - I see no need to contact them.
    We recently saw a company close and someone complained loudly about how bad these 'crooks' were only to wish they hadn't when all the facts were out. Sometimes a merchant has actually communicated and it is stuck in queue at the network. There is nothing wrong with discussing the program, just so long as you know that the facts may show something else later. It is a common courtesy business practice.

I have not contacted them yet. I'm not trying to say they are cheats and or crooks as it is their decision to pay whatever commission they decide. They only reason I asked if it was ok to mention their name is to find if it happened to anyone else and to see what other people do when this happens.

I have sold one item which was a laptop from a retailer that I noticed didn't pay any commision for laptops and or notebooks. That was my fault as I missed the fine print. I still promote them as I want a well rounded offering in that catagorie. Taking the good with the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    There is nothing wrong with discussing the program, just so long as you know that the facts may show something else later. It is a common courtesy business practice.
    Then the merchant should get their crap together.

If there is the possibility that affiliates may miss a communique regarding program changes it is the MERCHANT's responsibility to plan this out. If the merchant wants to hit a specific time frame for the change, THEY need to start COMMUNICATING with their affiliates LONG BEFORE.

It's their business - if they don't know what the hell they're doing - get out of the game...
    Last edited by Convergence; May 17th, 2011 at 12:05 PM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    You should make an attempt to contact the merchant and/or the network requesting an explanation. Give it two business days then post the merchant/network here. That way others have a chance to get involved (like a mini class action). Otherwise its a rhetorical question and you have gotten your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    You should make an attempt to contact the merchant and/or the network requesting an explanation. Give it two business days then post the merchant/network here. That way others have a chance to get involved (like a mini class action). Otherwise its a rhetorical question and you have gotten your answer.
    Since I value your opinion - I sent an email to the AM shown in their account...

Your right and thanks very much. I just sent them an email asking to explain the reason they are reducing the commission from %35 to 5%.

It's one thing to take it in stride if a merchant needs to make an "adjustment". For example, down from 17% to 15%. But a huge cut like the one mentioned here is flat out chiseling.

When a merchant does this, if I make little to nothing with them in the first place, then to the dust pile they go.

If I generate steady sales for them and dropping them would have a measurable impact on my own livelihood, then I'll contact them - but not to ask them to "explain" themselves. I contact them to tell them how discouraging and insulting it is for somebody to treat their hard-working affiliates this way; and I don't care if that comes off as being crabby or nasty - it's just "being REAL". More often than not, they wind up reinstating the original commission amount or at least a performance-based compromise. In fact just recently one merchant terminated me for having the nerve to speak up, and then came back to me in a panic two days later begging me to put their links back up... along with an offer of a higher commission rate than the original rate that they had chiseled down.

Stand up and speak up when merchants don't treat you right. It doesn't always work, but laying down and taking a beating doesn't work at all.
    Last edited by davidh; May 17th, 2011 at 01:36 PM.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Surprisingly, got a quick response.

They are moving to LinkShare where they will be offering the 35% commission...

ABW Ambassador
    So, who is it that will be moving to L$ & WHEN?
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; May 17th, 2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: add

I also got a email return fast. I joined Linkshare a few weeks ago. Sounds like they will stay at 35% on Linkshare. Seems they should have sent the email explaining this first.

Quote Originally Posted by klm1159 View Post
    Seems they should have sent the email explaining this first.
    My original point...
    Last edited by Convergence; May 17th, 2011 at 02:37 PM.

Does the current network allow them to send out emails (from the networks affiliate contact system) saying they are moving to another network? The merchant may be caught in the network rules and unless they are keeping a external (outside the network) list of email addresses not really have a way to contact the affiliates for this type of move.

Does the current network allow them to send out emails (from the networks affiliate contact system) saying they are moving to another network?
    Good point, Skip. Another side of the coin...from..."the merchant should get their crap together."

I know that one network we use will vet every email going out through their system and, we as merchants, are not permitted to mention other programs (whether on the same network or not).

Sooo...we've been through 20 posts and we still don't know who they are or what network they are leaving. Just sayin...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

It was posted in CJ so I would guess that is where they are leaving. Might keep an eye on Linkshare's New Program Announcements since no one mentioned the program name.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Good point, Skip. Another side of the coin...from..."the merchant should get their crap together."
    Still stand by my statement.

Am I correct to think that you think it's acceptable for a merchant to slash commissions in hopes that the affiliate will contact them to tell them about moving to another network?

Or perhaps, they can have their act together and have an affiliate forum or other means of interacting with their affiliates other than through a network interface that may be limited. You have your own forum as do other merchants.

Again, I stand by my statement...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Sooo...we've been through 20 posts and we still don't know who they are or what network they are leaving. Just sayin...
    We're in the CJ forum...
    Last edited by Convergence; May 17th, 2011 at 03:44 PM.

Am I correct to think that you think it's acceptable for a merchant to slash commissions in hopes that the affiliate will contact them to tell them about moving to another network?
    No you are not correct. But I still assert there are two sides to the coin.
    they can have their act together and have an affiliate forum or other means of interacting with their affiliates other than through a network interface that may be limited. You have your own forum as do other merchants
    Yes we do but we are in a very small minority. We also have a dedicated support site (blog?) for our affiliates - again in a very small minority.

We're in the CJ forum...
    Duh!!! Been a long week already. Sorry for the faux pas. Isn't CJ a network that would prohibit such an announcement?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast