Dept. of Justice on Google's Case for Deceptive Ads
    This week Ben Edelman published an article about the US Department of Justice's investigation of Google's role in allowing illegal advertisements for online pharmacies and decrying a long list of other deceptive or illegal practices that Google currently accepts advertising for.

Last week, Google's 10-Q* disclosed a $500 million charge for, the Wall Street Journal revealed, Google's sale of advertising to online pharmacies that break US laws. Kudos to the Department of Justice for holding Google accountable for these unlawful advertisements. But in fact there are numerous other categories where Google also shows, and has long shown, widespread deceptive advertisements. From "free" ringtones that aren't, to spyware/adware bundlers, to dubious mortgage modification schemes, deceptive ads are all too widespread. Google could and should do more to prevent these schemes and to avoid doing business with such advertisers...
    Full Article here: Revisiting Unlawful Advertisements at Google

*Google's 2011 Q1 earnings report for investors, showing the $500,000,000.00 expense available here: 2011 Quarterly Earnings - Google Investor Relations or just get the pdf file..

2. Thanks From:

I am done with google advertising. They never approve any of my ads anymore but quibids.com gets approved all the time. Bing is awesome compared to google ads now.

They have been allowing scammy ads for years, I removed AdSense from my sites due to the scammy stuff that they offered up to my visitors: ringtones, screensavers, bogus contests. I know that you can disable sites from appearing but when it becomes easier to turn off the income than to chase down all the domains and blocking them, it is a shame. In that respect they are their own downfall.

The mighty will always fall. I am glad that Microsoft started putting effort into their search engine. My theory is people are using the search box in their web browser and IE defaults to bing. Every single pc comes with IE. Win win.

Apple passed Google last week also as the biggest brand. Microsoft will probably pass apple in the next 5 years. The cycle begins.

Affiliate Manager
    Their ads appeared on a couple of our websites and seemed to be mostly OK. One day we were informed that our account was being suspended and all revenue confiscated...er...returned to advertisers...due to suspicious activity. We were doing absolutely nothing against their TOS and appealed the ruling. They would not even tell us the basis of the claim or allow any more discussion. End of relationship. Not a great way to do business, IMHO.
    Sheri Orloff, Affiliate Manager for WicksWorks.com
    sheri { at } wicksworks { dot } com

The article has more to do with Google permitting illegal and unethical advertisers, lending them legitimacy. Pharmaceuticals, Adware downloads and such.

Regarding disabled AdSense accounts you can read hundreds of similar complaints starting with the most recent here: Is the GAN moderator here? URGENT! - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread