Devastating Tornado in Joplin, MO
    I have a lot of family and friends in Southwest Missouri (all safe, as far as I know), so I've been following this pretty closely since it happened yesterday evening.

A tornado estimated to be an EF4 cut a path 6 miles long and up to a mile wide through the south side of Joplin (population 50k), leveling an estimated 10-20% of the town. A hospital, two fire stations, several schools, a Wal-Mart and a Home Depot were among some of the destroyed or heavily damaged commercial buildings. Gas mains, electrical lines, phone lines, and cell towers were also destroyed, hindering relief efforts and causing other problems. 89 are confirmed dead so far, but that number is sure to grow.

I don't know of any members there (Gary is about an hour away in Springfield), but I wouldn't be surprised if we have some or if members have family or friends affected. If you're nearby and safe, please let us know that you're okay!

Some links:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/joplin-mo-incredible-devastation-photos_2011-05-23
    Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
    Disaster Update: Tornadoes in the Midwest « American Red Cross Disaster Newsroom
    YouTube - ‪Joplin, Missouri tornado damage from the air‬‏
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thank you, Michael, for thinking to start this thread.

Yes, I live in Springfield, about a hour away as you mentioned. It was a terribly scary evening, even here, because we could see the Joplin tornado (via weather radar tracking, not actually "seeing" it) was holding together and headed eastward. As far as I know, it dropped debris from the sky even as far away as here and a bit further north. But I don't think it did any significant damage outside of the immediate Joplin area.

May the Lord and well-trained emergency personnel help all those good folks in Joplin. I encourage anyone who can help via donations of any sort to do so.

A few weeks ago, Alabama was hit even worse than this. And now Joplin. Truly a horrible spring for weather here in the U.S.

Trust all who hang out here from the Joplin area are well and safe.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

I heard a report about similar damage in Redding, Kansas. I know I've seen folks in the industry from that area too. I hope anyone near one of these areas is safe and secure with their families and homes.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Glad to hear you're ok Gary, and so sorry to see all of the destruction in your neck of the woods. I just saw a report on the local news here, and the estimates of damage in Joplin are now up even higher.

I also just saw this article on Slate.com "The Year of the Tornado", saying in part, that so far in 2011, more people have died in tornadoes in the US than in the previous 7 years combined.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Listening to the amazing news reports about Joplin right now.

The bright spots -- 17 people were found and pulled alive out of the rubble today. And last night, within minutes after the tornado hit the St. John's Medical Center there and destroyed it, people from throughout Joplin rushed to the site and risked their own lives climbing through stairwells to hospital rooms and pulled patients/personnel out of the rubble and got them to a safe place.

Wonderful testimony of people spontaneously volunteering and risking personal danger to help others!

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

@Gary, I was worried about you. Glad to here that you an your wife are OK.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
    @Gary, I was worried about you. Glad to here that you an your wife are OK.
    Thanks, John. Yup, we're all doing fine here in Springfield. But the entire area hereabouts, Springfield and Joplin AGAIN, face a forecast of severe weather of all sorts, including tornadoes, again tonight overnight.

What a year for all of us weatherwise, eh?

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Thanks Michael for the post, when I read it I immediately checked the news. My dad thankfully moved to Orlando in November and was in Springfield.

Growing up in St. Joseph 210 miles north I have been through my share of tornadoes luckily all out in the country. I can tell you from years past when driving past Joplin on the way to Springfield I have seen insulation from mobile homes strewn along the highway from miles. Will pray for the people of Joplin and hope this is the last of the tornadoes for a long time in that part of the country.

Our IT guy at iNet went to visit family in Joplin this week, and his immediately family has thankfully reported in as ok. He's planning to still make it there, and see if they can do any repairs to their homes.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Tornadoes are bad this year. Thoughts and prayers to all affected.

Oddly, we've even had two warnings here in the last month or so, which is not rare but certainly very uncommon. 2 a year max for the most part. Granted, we may not see another this year, but odds are against that.

Fortunately, they have been harmless or non-forming.

I see Minnesota (yes, Minnesota) had a touch down this week as well. Shifting weather patterns will keep us all on our toes.

As for Joplin, I can't feel worse about that than I do. Simply unreal to consider, from where I sit.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Hearing some frightening stuff about storms and tornadoes around Dallas-Ft Worth.

Sure hope Michael, Jimmy, and the rest of the Texas guys and their families are all safe and secure, and that anyone in the Oklahoma area has also gotten through it ok.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

With all the destruction in Joplin, it's truly a miracle that more people weren't killed. Hundreds (thousands?) of homes and many businesses were completely leveled. The tornado was 3/4 mile wide and plowed through 6 miles of the city.

I'm thankful to hear that nobody here appears to have been affected or had any friends or family affected.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread