Whats the best way to attract affiliates?
    Hi Folks,
    I'm new in town, and just trying to get my head around how to play the affiliate game.

Whats the best way to attract affiliates to sign up with you (if you were a merchant?).

And since someone will probably say "high commission", lets say the deal is 50% + 5% for life (an SaaS product $24-$200).

What else do affiliates look for aside from high commissions, a strong brand, and a product that sells itself?

Thanks for your advice!

what affiliates want
    good creatives, multiple linking options, sub-id tracking

Quote Originally Posted by Webreep View Post
    What else do affiliates look for aside from high commissions, a strong brand, and a product that sells itself?
    A merchant with a good track record, an experienced affiliate manager and a trusted network.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

4. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    a merchant with a good track record, an experienced affiliate manager and a trusted network.

-rematt
    +1

lol
    lol, the ole "use the search box" quip.
    But seriously, thanks for your advice.

So how do you know a merchant has a good track record?

And what do you mean by trusted network?

Sorry if these questions seem so newbie-ish!

The networks keep records so that we can see before signing on if a merchant has a poor track record, low conversion rates, etc. Here at ABW when someone has a problem with a merchant's program it becomes part of the daily news so before signing up with a program it is easy to stop by and run a search to avoid the same disappointments that others have had. Trusted networks are the ones we work with. Legitimate businesses that keep stats that agree with ours and pay on time every time. Programs on trusted networks have a very large lead over unknowns or in house programs that could fold about the time they start producing ROI.

Read more, search more, it will all make sense.

Newbie Merchant
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Programs on trusted networks have a very large lead over unknowns or in house programs that could fold ...
    This is interesting. Are you saying that setting up our own affiliate network (using something like zferral) is no where near as good as using one of the large affiliate networks?

More isn't always better. For example many affiliate signups only occur to see if they are interested in what you offer (peek up your skirt, checkout your... datafeed).

Mark did you a favor by highlighting past discussions, you are on the right track by asking affiliates what they want by posting this thread, and you should continue looking for input - ask some of the people signing up if they mind if you contact them for their feedback. If you are getting signups but not activity, ask them what lost their interest or what you could improve.

Part of the community newsletter that went out today, a good discussion with more pointers on getting GOOD QUALITY affiliates:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/share...es-144564.html
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; May 24th, 2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

great thread
    @ I.M.O.G.: Great thread - Thanks!

Is it acceptable in this forum to ask people to comment on your product/website/affiliate materials? Get advise on whether it has potential or is attractive?

More than anything, I look for merchants that are a good match for the site I'm currently working on. For instance, if I have a site about flux capacitors, a merchant with SaaS products (whatever that is) wouldn't work for me even if they were on a clean network, paid 75% commissions, had a lifetime cookie, had the best OPM, etc. Now if they had all of that, it might convince me to build a SaaS site (after I figured out what it is -- okay, just Googled it: Software as a Service), but it would likely be months or years before I got to it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

good point
    @ Michael:
    Good points Michael, thanks. I think ideally I need to find affiliates who are already selling SaaS. And I have to remind myself that not everyone knows what the heck that is

Is it acceptable in this forum to ask people to comment on your product/website/affiliate materials? Get advise on whether it has potential or is attractive?
    You can post your site (not your affiliate program) for a review in the Site/Logo/Banner Review forum. If you want your affiliate program reviewed, you have to buy a Premium Posting in the Paid Affiliate Program Reviews forum.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ok, thanks will do.

Also, does anyone know where I can find affiliates who specialize in SaaS products? Just by chance?

Also, does anyone know where I can find affiliates who specialize in SaaS products? Just by chance?
    SaaS is a delivery method, not an application in and of itself. I think what you really want are affiliates that specialize in niches that your service fits into. Look for affiliates that target the same market that you target. For instance, your product seems to focus on customer satisfaction. Use Google to search for your main keywords (web analytics,website performance and customer satisfaction would be a good start) and see if any affiliate sites turn up in the search. These could possibly be good targets.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thanks rematt -Good advice

What are affiliates attracted to?
    I want to market my affiliate program to affiliates. Note: I'm considering using abestweb to advertise so I don't want to disclose my specific program.

What are they most attracted to? ecpms? average cpc's? percent rev share?

Earn $10 ecpms e.g, would anyone care?

What's an average publishers should expect to receive in payouts / mo?

Your thread was merged into an earlier thread on the same topic; see my post #5 above for some direction.

Webreep - Just got an email from you or your affiliate manager. (not sure if you are same person in email or not) After reading this thread am not really sure how I was found or how you got my email.

Didn't respond back to the email since I don't really know anything about you. The link in your email that was provided to learn more about your program or to join when I put the url into the browser at first came up with a can't find that url message. After shortening it a bit it url went directly to Mailchimp? Not sure if the url wasn't coded for you to be able to tell if the email had been read and is why it did that? (altho Mailchimp was not in the url but I don't have a newsletter so don't know how the tracking works)

I'm assuming from email I received you are not working with any network? It also lists Australia as the address in the email. I have nothing against Australia, have very nice friends from there Am only saying that you may not have a lot of success in recruiting affiliates the way it has been done. I know just speaking for myself I have run into problems getting payment from networks not in the US let alone an in house program from another country.

Am sorry to say but after reading the email I still am not really sure what the product is. I am not being critical of your email, how it was sent or contents of it. Am just saying it may be best since you're in another country (if is the case since email lists Australia) not very well known to affiliates (at least not this one) and have a product that is not really that well known (least not from what I read in email) really might be a good idea to be working with a network or at the least, an affiliate manager who is known and trusted by affiliates. Wish you all the best with your program
    Last edited by purplebear; September 9th, 2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: made boo boo and left out a word cos am in a hurry and didn't take my time like I should have:(

21. Thanks From:

I must say, Only good flasher and on time payment.
    I am in industry for last 5 years and as affiliate manager last 1 year with a network. If you are unable get flasher and payment on time. You loose all your charm. I have personally felt some network running at very low budget but going awesome. I am not allowed to write any name here but that is awesome network. That's only aim to pay on time and spent good amount for advertising purpose instead of paying huge amount to has-offers.
    That network is running basic so paying only $99 per month and spending about $500 for advertising.

My views and thought says a experienced affiliate manager can rise your network with loud. He is able get approved account easily with top notch advertiser.

SO you must ready with-
    Enough advertising budget
    experienced affiliate manager
    A strong desire of success

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Only good flasher
    What the heck is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    What the heck is that?
    Flasher, I mean expose, advertisement ETC

Attracting affiliates: the chicken or the egg?
    Hi Everyone,

I joined ABW a few minutes ago. I also posted a reply to an earlier comment, but it turned out that that particular conversation hadn't been active for more than a year.

The advice given to questions regarding attempts to attract good affiliates seems to be that if merchants have a good program, product and conversion rate, then the affiliates will find the merchant, rather than the other way around.

The problem I see with this is that beginning affiliate programs have yet to be tested by the market and may have no conversion rate at all.

So, it leads me back to the original question: how to beginning merchants find good affiliates?

Cheers, Bruce

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread