Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Decorative Ceiling Tiles's Avatar
    Lightbulb How humans are not physically created to eat meat
    Hello Everyone,

On my quest to figure out what is the best food for me I have stumbled upon this site and I think it makes perfect sence.

Check it out and let me know if that makes sence that human should not really eat meat.

How humans are not physically created to eat meat

OK, yeah, I skimmed through that - only because it was you that posted. Sounds a bit one-sided to me, especially with the sets of "comparisons" at the beginning of the diatribe.

Ex:Meat-eaters: have claws
    Herbivores: no claws
    Humans: no claws

The human thumb is opposable (to the fingers) and allows "us" to grasp things in our hands - no need to clench with a claw. Herbivores? Yeah right - tell that to a Panda Bear. They have claws that can rip you to shreds - but are strictly vegetarian in eating habits.

The part about the teeth is also misleading. Humans have teeth "designed" for a combination of foods. Our front teeth (incisors and canines) are for biting and tearing flesh - as well as biting into an apple of eating corn off the cob.

It appears that the story to which you linked has an eye on the truth, but not the "whole truth." That is usually the situation when someone wants to make a "case" for one thing or another. (Note that the "chart" they used is over 40 years old).

Sorry, I am certainly not an expert - so consider the above just the musings of a former high school biology teacher.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    OK, yeah, I skimmed through that - only because it was you that posted. Sounds a bit one-sided to me, especially with the sets of "comparisons" at the beginning of the diatribe.

Ex:Meat-eaters: have claws
    Herbivores: no claws
    Humans: no claws

The human thumb is opposable (to the fingers) and allows "us" to grasp things in our hands - no need to clench with a claw. Herbivores? Yeah right - tell that to a Panda Bear. They have claws that can rip you to shreds - but are strictly vegetarian in eating habits.

The part about the teeth is also misleading. Humans have teeth "designed" for a combination of foods. Our front teeth (incisors and canines) are for biting and tearing flesh - as well as biting into an apple of eating corn off the cob.

It appears that the story to which you linked has an eye on the truth, but not the "whole truth." That is usually the situation when someone wants to make a "case" for one thing or another. (Note that the "chart" they used is over 40 years old).

Sorry, I am certainly not an expert - so consider the above just the musings of a former high school biology teacher.
    Bill,

Thanks for your time to comment. Yes, indeed they are trying to make a point. But you got your point too with Panda and teeth.

I wonder if Panda ever used to eat meat?

There is a new book out called The China Study, which I have just order. It supposed to be really interesting reading.

I didn't have time to read the article this morning, but does it discuss the presence of the appendix in humans, and it's original design to help digest raw meat?

Or has that been abandoned since I took health class in 1985....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I didn't have time to read the article this morning, but does it discuss the presence of the appendix in humans, and it's original design to help digest raw meat?

Or has that been abandoned since I took health class in 1985....
    No it did not Kevin. I surely agree that human can do that but I have never craved raw flesh. Did you ?

Under extreme condition where nothing else is available, we surely can burn animal protein but I do not believe it is ideal diet.

To the sushi bar!
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    To the sushi bar!
    You got me there!

I firmly believe the best diet is one with a wide "variety" of foods.

Being at the top of the food chain, (IMHO) the amount of each type of food "should" approach the the biomass distribution of our planet. However, considering the awesome Texas-cut Filet I had last evening, my personal distribution is certainly skewed (toward the top).

@ Kevin - Remember the Four Basic Food Groups from Health Class? As I age I find that my four basic food groups have changed a bit. (Maybe a good bit? Better not ask...)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup.

I guess the more important thing then not eating meat is to be aware what we put in our system and the quantity of it.

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup.
    Absolutely a good food group set.

However, at my age I'm more into these four: Sugar, Chocolate, Alcohol and Caffein.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    My four are Ice Cream, Potato Chips, Alcohol and Caffeine. (order varies by time-o-day)
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

But seriously, the key to diet and to virtually everything in life, is moderation.

Articles like the one Milan began this thread with clearly have an agenda, and are meant to argue a specific point of view. For real medical and nutritional advice, in my opinion, the single most authoritative, respected, and valuable site, is the Mayo Clinic site. Here is a section on proper nutrition, with links to a wealth of information.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

I crave raw meat. Its name is Kobe Beef! Warmed, but cool in the center is just fine.

Right now, I agree a moderate diet is the key. Variety, but not to much of any one thing.

This thread got me thinking about human development though. When looking at diet, it can make more sense to take a long term historical outlook. What we eat now may make us thin or fat. But big picture, how did humans develop to where they are today?

An average human brain takes 3x more energy to maintain than a monkey brain. How does a caveman make up the difference?

Back when we learned to hunt effectively, we can run upright which gives us great endurance expanding the breadth of our diet in gathering plants and locating animals we want to eat. We had opposable thumbs which gave us the advantage of using advanced tools.

Put all that together, and you have a recipe for an exceptionally nutrient rich and varied diet. A diet capable of maintaining brains too big for our bodies.

In short, the early hunting-gathering life-way associated with H. erectus was a more efficient way of getting food which supported a 35-55% increase in caloric needs (relative to australopithecines)...
    Lots of very informative, though dry and boring, material in this scholarly article:
    Intelligence, Evolution of the Human Brain, and Diet
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Speak for yourself, elf, I prefer Cookies, lots of cookies. Nature's perfect affiliate food.

16. Thanks From:

This reminds me of a documentary I once saw on the subject of how the human race managed to survive and even gain dominance over other animals even though they are usually much stronger and faster than us.

The theory was - since we evolved from walking on all fours and started standing upright, we were capable of venturing out in the fierce mid-day sun, because our upright stance exposed only a small part of our body mass to the sun. Other animals whose whole backs would be exposed slink off and find some shade to lie in.

So - tiger kills an animal. Tiger eats the meat. Vultures pick at what is left. Mid-day, tiger goes off for a siesta. Homo Sapiens comes along and picks up a rock and smashes the bones to get at the marrow inside.

If this theory is correct, it would seem that we are not pre-determined to be vegetarians.

Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    I crave raw meat. Its name is Kobe Beef! Warmed, but cool in the center is just fine.

Right now, I agree a moderate diet is the key. Variety, but not to much of any one thing.

This thread got me thinking about human development though. When looking at diet, it can make more sense to take a long term historical outlook. What we eat now may make us thin or fat. But big picture, how did humans develop to where they are today?

An average human brain takes 3x more energy to maintain than a monkey brain. How does a caveman make up the difference?

Back when we learned to hunt effectively, we can run upright which gives us great endurance expanding the breadth of our diet in gathering plants and locating animals we want to eat. We had opposable thumbs which gave us the advantage of using advanced tools.

Put all that together, and you have a recipe for an exceptionally nutrient rich and varied diet. A diet capable of maintaining brains too big for our bodies.

Lots of very informative, though dry and boring, material in this scholarly article:
    Intelligence, Evolution of the Human Brain, and Diet
    Kobe Beef, is that dried or something?

The article surely is pretty boring but does have a lots of info.

I wonder why we are not able to use our whole brain.

Quote Originally Posted by VampireSkunk View Post
    This reminds me of a documentary I once saw on the subject of how the human race managed to survive and even gain dominance over other animals even though they are usually much stronger and faster than us.

The theory was - since we evolved from walking on all fours and started standing upright, we were capable of venturing out in the fierce mid-day sun, because our upright stance exposed only a small part of our body mass to the sun. Other animals whose whole backs would be exposed slink off and find some shade to lie in.

So - tiger kills an animal. Tiger eats the meat. Vultures pick at what is left. Mid-day, tiger goes off for a siesta. Homo Sapiens comes along and picks up a rock and smashes the bones to get at the marrow inside.

If this theory is correct, it would seem that we are not pre-determined to be vegetarians.

Interesting theory but I don't think that Homo Sapiens was able to determine what was better for his body, they simply tried to survive and probably liked the taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Decorative Ceiling Tiles View Post
    Kobe Beef, is that dried or something?

The article surely is pretty boring but does have a lots of info.

I wonder why we are not able to use our whole brain.
    The cattle is raised according to some sort of Japanese tradition, and as a result the meat turns out especially tender and tastey. It can be prepared like any steak to your taste preferences, but I think cooking it too much should be a crime.

Vampireskunks comment is interesting though. They probably didn't know what was better or worse for them to eat, but the ones who tended to eat the better stuff probably also tended to live longer and reproduce. Evolution and all that.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

The proper recipe for first class Kobe Beef.

1.) Remove kobe beef from the refrigerator.
    2.) Pre-heat oven to 450.
    3.) Wave the beef in the general direction of the oven. DO NOT MAKE CONTACT or actually bring the beef within 20 YARDS of oven.
    4.) Consume.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

22. Thanks From:

Next - get rid of tape worms.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Kope beef is not just from cows raised according to very specific rules and feed restrictions, but it is only from a single limited sub-strain of a certain breed of cattle. It can be prepared using any of several different methods, including fully cooked or raw (sashimi).

And sports fans, Kobe Bryant WAS named after Kobe beef. (Burger Boy, if you didn't know, his full name, is honestly, Kobe Bean Bryant)

I find the concept that all animals with the exception of humans instinctively know what foods are best for them absurd. For those that want to be vegetarians, vegans, meatites, whatever; you don't have to justify your preference by trying to rewrite history or nullify evolution. You also won't convince the rest of us that you've chosen the correct path. Remember, we're smarter, we eat meat.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    I find the concept that all animals with the exception of humans instinctively know what foods are best for them absurd. For those that want to be vegetarians, vegans, meatites, whatever; you don't have to justify your preference by trying to rewrite history or nullify evolution. You also won't convince the rest of us that you've chosen the correct path. Remember, we're smarter, we eat meat.

-rematt
    What is the correct path?

"Remember, we're smarter, we eat meat." - I have to remember this when I train my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Decorative Ceiling Tiles View Post
    What is the correct path?
    While my last post was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek, I really believe that the correct path is the one that makes you feel good; physically, mentally and spiritually.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

28. Thanks From:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast