Top 3 Cons of Being An Affiliate?
    This article was published Monday by Jonathon Volk, titled "So You Wanna Be A Pro Affiliate? The $25,000 Truth". Its short... The article only focusses on the "pros" of being an affiliate.

What made the article interesting to me was that I think it "hits the nail on the head" in regards to the upside to affiliate marketing that newcomers are attracted to, contrasting it with the challenges of launching an eCommerce business that handles physical product.

Top 3 Pros of being an affiliate from the article:
    • Huge Revenue Potential With Little Infrastructure
    • Quick, Low Risk Tests
    • Freedom

2 minutes of your time and you can read the whole thing:
    http://www.jonathanvolk.com/affiliate-marketers/so-you-wanna-be-a-pro-affiliate-the-25000-truth.html - So You Wanna Be A Pro Affiliate? The $25,000 Truth

So ABW, from your personal experience, what are the Top 3 Cons of being an affiliate?
    Last edited by I.M.O.G.; May 25th, 2011 at 06:00 PM.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/midni...ate-79787.html is a good place to see the downside.

19-20-something year old kid making $3,000-$5,000 bucks per day with no staff… Oh and I was living in my parents house. Later on, I went on to make up to $25,000 revenue per day on my best days.
    Gimme a break! So I suppose one of the downsides is developing a severe case of braggadocio. While, on the other hand, some people just plain lie.

While the three tenets listed may equate to good "pros," the third one is often the cause of failure. Not everyone has the self-discipline to work independently.

The part I smile at is "making money while sitting on a beach" - or maybe on a tropical mountaintop, right, 2busy?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Everyone's top 3 may be different, depending on their business model.

My top 3 are:

1. Constant changes in SE's seem to make it difficult for newer sites to stabilize in the SERPs.

2. Self discipline (as Bill mentioned) and time management.

3. The cookie having to pass through such a gauntlet to get to the merchant. (who is hopefully honest)

15 years and counting
    It sounds like a recycled 10 year old post. Even the image is so 2000.
    Don't you remember the full page ads in Revenue magazine?

6. Thanks From:

15 years and counting
    I'm seeing also the promotion of PPV (or CPV/Contextual traffic)
    "Learn the complete how-to for PPC, PPV..."
    An other name for adware. So be very careful following what is said.
    PPV Network Reviews
    It can get you banned in no time. And do you really want to make money stealing from other affiliates or your merchant?
    For more info!
    AFP Affiliate Salon: Rise Of The Phoenix
    Rise Of The Phoenix: a PodCast Kellie Stevens - Angel Djambazov

I just looked, the claims may be true, but that is stealing, not affiliate marketing.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I have been involved in online marketing since 1999 and affiliate marketing since 2001, never heard of Jonathon Volk! I don't doubt that there are people who have figured out how to make millions (and I know a few). After they make their money they invariably sell their knowledge to 1000's who are lining up to make money online in their sleep. We even have the Russell Brunson crowd that make money by selling other people's information about making money online to information junkies who shell out money but never make a cent.

Jonathon Volk's success comes from being a CPA affiliate. They are identifiable as affiliates who don't tell you how they make their traffic, want to be paid in a week and run the latest acai berry scam. Its a mix of black hat SEO sites with turn and burn domains, blog/forum/article spam, 3rd tier PPC, email spam lists, etc.

ABW members are striving to achieve sustainable advertising models. These hucksters don't tell their disciples to create several organically rankable pages today in hopes that one in four makes a sale in 3 months, one in six months and one in a year. They also don't tell you to put $2000 in an AdWords campaign with crappy copy that makes you no sales as it milks the account in 48 hrs. Nor do they recommend that you learn datafeeds, php or at least PopShops to create store pages or prodcut comparison sites.

Matt thanks for posting the article because it gets the conversation going here and its great to see people who make an honest living talk about the reality.

10. Thanks From:

I highly recommend you buy this e-book. You will make millions overnight with no work at all. Really: Buy My Stupid Ebook, Overly SEO d Title, Keywords Crammed like Make Money Online Make Money Online Make Money Online

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I once wrote a book now out of print (tongue in cheek) how to make $100,000 in affiliate marketing in 10 years. Only two sold!

I quit for two years because I was stupid enough to pay for services, not stupid enough for fake ebooks, but things like back linking services, I even bought an automated google news website thinking id make a solid $200 a month, point being scams are everywhere and I personally think all income to be earned of the net is from knowledge so this second time through mine will also be self discipline and also steadiness.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I highly recommend you buy this e-book. You will make millions overnight with no work at all. Really: Buy My Stupid Ebook, Overly SEO d Title, Keywords Crammed like Make Money Online Make Money Online Make Money Online
    Excellent, really gave me a good laugh but I also appreciate the irony.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread