More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    48,454 links to my site from one site
    Using Webmaster Tools I am see that a single site has 48,454 links to my site. Basically, they have created this mega-ebay site with that many pages and have links to my site and two others on the sidebar. Meanwhile, my site has taken a dive. It is a content site that has ranked at #1 on a single keyword and no lower than 6 for the last 5 years. Now it is about 45! I am really getting upset about this. I have emailed the site. What if they just ignore my request? Can I take legal action?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

looking forward to hearing about this - superCool gets concerned when he sees tons of links like that from crap sites

My guess is, its a coincidence that the site dropped when you noticed the links. Or if its not, its a very temporary drop in ranking. I notice that links take a while to actually show up in webmaster even though they are probably discovered a long time before that. Plus, if it is true, I'm starting hundreds of autoblogs and putting links to my competitors.

Is there some other change you made that you might be overlooking?

As far as getting the link removed, that's interesting and would love to hear opinions on that.
    Last edited by gcarson; May 26th, 2011 at 04:38 PM.

You could attempt to file C&D or DMCA complaint, saying the use of your domain name in their links is not permitted. You would need to contact their host to pursue/escalate that. I'm not sure if it would work, and I wouldn't do it personally... But that is an avenue if you want to pursue it.

gcarson has good insight, and I agree with his thoughts about it being an unfortunate coincidence. You can't wreck another site's pagerank that easily; its possibly algorithm changes by google that you need to adjust for.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    You could attempt to file C&D or DMCA complaint, saying the use of your domain name in their links is not permitted. You would need to contact their host to pursue/escalate that. I'm not sure if it would work, and I wouldn't do it personally... But that is an avenue if you want to pursue it.

gcarson has good insight, and I agree with his thoughts about it being an unfortunate coincidence. You can't wreck another site's pagerank that easily; its possibly algorithm changes by google that you need to adjust for.
    I don't think a C&D would fly. It is allowable to link to other sites. w.r.t. another site not wrecking one's page rank, I always thought that was the case as well. But this is such an excessive number. And then I see this article: http://www.johnmcelborough.com/bad-links-good-site
    Last edited by Cheesehead; May 26th, 2011 at 05:15 PM.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I dunno about the credibility of that piece. The connection between cause and effect isn't borne out very well... I've seen lots of spammy sites spring up linking to large sites, sometimes duplicating content even, and I haven't seen that reflected negatively in the SERPs. Honestly though, I don't know how it effects smaller sites. If the site operators aren't doing anything with the sites when the Pagerank drops, simply removing inbound links isn't going to do crap - you have to update content, build, refresh, or your PR won't change. Even if you have good content that ranks well, but stop updating the site at all - often times your PR will drop. I was ranking near the top for blackberry tethering for months after I published an article about it on a personal domain - then I didn't touch the site for a couple years, my PR died, and rankings disappeared.

Not saying you are wrong, but like gcarson, I am not very confident those inbound links are hurting you.

As for the links being allowed, I agree. However sometimes all it takes is being a bit of a jerk, and you'll tick someone off and they'll remove your domain from their site. Some hosts don't know how to handle complaints either, and will bother their subscriber for you. Like I said not something I would do, but if you are a fly in the soup, it might get the results you are looking for (links removed from that site). Or you could just contact the site owner and ask, though I've had very rare success with that.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

It is possible that this last update penalized for such high volume links from a site. I would not think that would be a sensible thing to do since it would open the door for all kinds of mischief, but who knows? I still would like the 48K+ links removed. I found a few other things that I corrected. One guy from Askville copied my entire home page text! I had them remove it. Also, I found that google indexes text from Facebook link post from your page - so there was some duplication with this as well - I corrected this. But it will take a month or so I think to see changes.

And just found another case where a guy copied my ENTIRE site on to a Word document. And then created 2 more copies! All indexed. I filed a DMCA for this since the person had no contact info to be found.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread