Update on the performance from Amazon's "Recommended Products" link units
    Some context: In early 2007, I discussed my experience with Amazon's "Omakase" and "recommended products" ad units in this ABW discussion thread.

I've just re-analyzed the performance of two types of Amazon advertising on my newest web site (domain registered December 2011; site officially launched January 1, 2011).

I was specifically considering whether I should continue to include an Amazon "recommended products" skyscraper ad above-the-fold in the right margin of every page on the site (Amazon populates the ad based on unique keywords for each page; I've attached an example of how the ad appears). The "skyscraper ad" was displayed on every directory page at the site, in addition to individual product links embedded in the directory.

Over the past five months, Amazon tracked 166,700 adviews (my logs show 192,000 pageviews, some of which don't include the skyscraper ad).

Here's the performance of the two types of links (product links integrated in the directory, and Recommended Product links embedded in a skyscraper ad):
    • Individual Product Links: 7,131 clicks (4.3% CTR) >> 472 items ordered (6.6% clicks-to-items conversion rate) >> $332.10 advertising fees (eCPM $1.99)

• Recommended Product Links (skyscraper ad): 284 clicks (0.17% CTR) >> 6 items ordered (2.1% clicks-to-items conversion rate) >> $3.35 advertising fees (eCPM $0.02)

Note that total eCPM for this site, for this five-month period, is about $7 (so Amazon represents less than 30% of the site's advertising revenue).

My conclusion: the extra page-load time and visual distraction from the Amazon ad unit is absolutely not justified by the results. I have just removed the ad from my template, and I'm re-generating the 2,000 static content pages without the Amazon skyscraper ad.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by markwelch; May 26th, 2011 at 08:56 PM.

2. Thanks From:

And so what did you replace it with, and how is it doing?

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread